Made a hollow point making tool. Very neat!

Made a hollow point making tool. Very neat!

May 21st, 2012, 2:30 am #1

Okay guys. Here is another creation from the Phil-Factory. Despite being a prick police officer, I'd like to share this with you guys.

Digging around insome hobby stuff today, rc airplane pieces parts and what not, found some items to toss out. As the items sat in the little pile waiting to be swept up, an idea hit me. So, picked up the pieces and let the magic begin.

This tool is used to make hollow point pellets, used for .22cal. Did up various pellets form the long Eun Jin 28 grainers to some Crosman Domed pellets just to see if pellet length would pose an issue. Nope, all pellets turned out fantastic. With that, my word. What an amazing difference a serious hollow point cavity does to a target with speeds in excess of 800fps. The pellets literally exploded when hitting every medium I tried today. The best thing about this tool is that the depth of the cavity can be set to the users desires. I like them deep and wide. The pellet will lose about two grains in weight when finished if going with a deep cavity.

Here is the tool pieces. A .18" drill bit placed in a "Dubro" brand rc airplane wheel axle carry. Has set screw so the drill bit depth can be adjusted. Once the axle carry bottoms out on top, depth has been reached. The other device is an aluminum tube with .12" wall, with shaft collar used for grip. Soldered inside the aluminum tube is another tube made of brass with an inside diamter of .18". The pellet loading end (bottom) is set to the average .22 pellet diameter. The pellet, once loaded, shelves/stops against the inner brass tube and helps to prevent the pellet from spinning:

Here is a pellet loaded into the tool, head first:

This pictures shows the drill bit inserted into thepellet holding tube:

This view depicts how to hold the end, which ensures the pellet does not spin from rotating the drill bit by hand:

Here is the final pellet with deep cavity:

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
Last edited by Duane30 on May 21st, 2012, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 21st, 2012, 3:59 am #2

May 21st, 2012, 4:38 am #3

It takes about 5 seconds to do a pellet up. No need to push too hard, the bit wants to snag thus spinthe pellet form your grip. Simply spin it and let do the work with ever so slight inward pressure.

I think the bit angle (135 degrees?) on the pellet (mouth of the hollow point) is such that impact truly forces the pellet to open and wrap around it self.

Just a pile of pieces parts. After making the tool, dug in the trash to get the other bits and pieces of things just in case they can be used for another purpose. Who knew?

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

May 21st, 2012, 11:47 am #4

May 21st, 2012, 2:32 pm #5

It takes about 5 seconds to do a pellet up. No need to push too hard, the bit wants to snag thus spinthe pellet form your grip. Simply spin it and let do the work with ever so slight inward pressure.

I think the bit angle (135 degrees?) on the pellet (mouth of the hollow point) is such that impact truly forces the pellet to open and wrap around it self.

Just a pile of pieces parts. After making the tool, dug in the trash to get the other bits and pieces of things just in case they can be used for another purpose. Who knew?

Stuff like this displays the genius of the common man.

I'm presently working on a Pellet-Sizer that will give me
absolute uniformity for all my pellets. It's just as simple
as this hollow pointing tool.

Well done sir.

If I get some more free time I'll attempt to make one up
for myself. If I do I may go with the smallest sized
Centering-Drill Bit.

It should give me a hollow point cavity with a 60 degree
funnel shape and a fine pin-hole at its deepest point.

LeadGonads

May 21st, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

I too would like to go to a smaller bit size, next size down. However, the bit size, though smaller, will be in the order of what the next size brass tube is that telescopically slips into the existing brass tube that is soldered in. If the results are good, I will simply permanently attach the other brass tube so the smaller bit canbe used. The .180" drill bit is a bit much for a .22 pellet. The next size down should do great.

Thank you for liking it! Genuis? Hardly!!

Here is the exact axle part used to hold the drill bit. The spindle hole is 5/32", which I drilled out to accept the .180" bit. With luck, the next size down brass tube will allow a 5/32" bit to be used:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXD827&P=7