Lubing O rings

Lubing O rings

June 12th, 2012, 2:53 pm #1

(brought up from below)

Folks was talking of us vaseline to lube the orings for easier reassembly of the 39x..... and some folks chimed in about conserns for uses of a petroleum product

Couldnt we just avoid all that discussuin and just use silicone grease or divers grease?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

June 12th, 2012, 2:59 pm #2

I've heard that silicone is not good for metal to metal contact. Might be an issue if used in the pump linkage.

I plink, therefore I am.

June 12th, 2012, 3:19 pm #3

(brought up from below)

Folks was talking of us vaseline to lube the orings for easier reassembly of the 39x..... and some folks chimed in about conserns for uses of a petroleum product

Couldnt we just avoid all that discussuin and just use silicone grease or divers grease?

I worked for several years in aircraft hydraulics, we used lanolin for assembly lube.
Mugs

June 12th, 2012, 3:30 pm #4

Mugs, think lanolin would work for pells? I just happen to have about 10 gal. of fluid film in the shop! which is over 90% lanolin and the rest is mineral spirts I think? didn't think of the stuff, although I don't think there would be any way to do it without making a slimy mess of it. Dave.

June 12th, 2012, 3:49 pm #5

I worked for several years in aircraft hydraulics, we used lanolin for assembly lube.
Mugs
Next it will be bacon grease, bear fat and castor oil. (one of my favorites; yumm!)

I do like lanolin for optic assemblies as well.

I used Krytox for o-rings on breathing oxygen systems in my aviation days.

Sil-glyde is good stuff for rubber and plastic, and easy to get at any auto supply.

The choice of lubes is so personal, there is no right product for everything. And I would NEVER clean a barrel with Goo Gone! Just wouldn't!

June 12th, 2012, 3:55 pm #6

I like to use bacon grease to lube pellets.
Makes them taste better when I hold a handful of them in my mouth while shooting.

Hey the old mountain men used bear grease and stuff on their rifles. You might want to add some to your bug-out bag along with your survival airgun! LOL

I plink, therefore I am.

June 12th, 2012, 4:19 pm #7

My post below wasn't intended to cause trouble but to prevent it. Sure not trying to get folks excited!

A lot of people only read forums occasionally instead of posting questions and may not have much if any experience on the subjects. That sometimes results in blindly following advice that quickly or slowly causes serious grief. With airguns being as difficult as they are to take apart and reassemble correctly, especially for beginners, we don't want folks screwing up the works based on bad advice they got here.

The only correct answer to the question of lube or pre-assembly lube is to use what's best for a particular gun. That depends on what the seals and gun parts are made of, so it's a matter of finding that out, if posssible. Petroleum based seals should not use petroleum based lube. Silicone based seals should not use silicone lube. Petroleum based lube can attack certain plastics, but not all plastics: so a person needs to know exactly which plastics [if any] are used. Each person needs to educate themselves on their own particular airgun's components and materials.

Bottom line is, just because one person gets away with using a particular lube in their airguns, maybe even for years and years, that doesn't mean that it applies to every airgun in every situation.

June 12th, 2012, 7:23 pm #8

Makes them taste better when I hold a handful of them in my mouth while shooting.

Hey the old mountain men used bear grease and stuff on their rifles. You might want to add some to your bug-out bag along with your survival airgun! LOL

I plink, therefore I am.
Andy, what doesn't taste better with bacon?? I've used b. grease to lube the barrel between shooting sessions (black powder) and the old buffalo hunters used sperm oil to lube the patches on their bullets(paper patch) I'm sure they used all manner of lubes and greases out on the prairies when they ran out of store bought. Dave.

June 12th, 2012, 8:12 pm #9

I plink, therefore I am.
bears can smell that literally a mile away.

June 12th, 2012, 9:52 pm #10

USE BEAR FAT

The wild critters will think your the toughest SOB ever! After all, You did have to get that fat somehow!