Leaky Crosman 147...advice?

Leaky Crosman 147...advice?

April 3rd, 2011, 12:50 am #1

Ok, so today I went and bought a cheap 147 off a guy near me. It's a project gun for sure, my first project, really.
I'm super excited about it tho, because the grain on the wood is really nice, and should look good after some refinishing, and the barrel is nice and bright (very happy about that) The blue is rusty, but I plan to make it nice again, with a kit I also got.
BUT OF COURSE.. it leaks, through the barrel/breach. Its not a very fast leak, when I put a pellet in it, and pump, it will fire the pellet, as long as I don't wait too long for the air to all leak out

I ordered a reseal kit from Alan at AB, but Im wondering if there are any little tricks I can do in the meantime, with peloil, to see if the seals will bounce back? Any advice is welcome!! I just want to learn as much about these guns as I can.

I love the 140/147, nice 'little' classic rifles!

Thank you! Have a great weekend

Andy

April 3rd, 2011, 4:52 pm #2

The 14/147/1400 rifles do present some challenges if you've never worked on them before. Getting the pump cup off can be difficult. There is also a small seal inside the blow off portion of the valve that if not replaced, will not allow the rifle to seal. This has been gone over many times before on this and other forums. I'd suggest using the search function and reading up on it before you tear it apart. They aren't hard to work on but you've got to know the tricks.

I'd also suggest losing the stock transfer port and instead use 1/4" poly tubing. That will give you max velocity with that gun.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

April 3rd, 2011, 5:47 pm #3

I'm debating now whether to go into it myself, or send it to Alan. I've been reading some posts from the past, about resealing, and I don't think I have the tools/experience to do it properly. I'd like to learn, and I guess there's no time to learn like now.. I just kind of wish I could sit down with someone who knew how to do it, and learn that way, rather than risk fudging up the gun. Anyone near Boston, with the time, who would like to help me with a project? Just a thought/shot in the dark

thanks for the advice

happy shooting
take care
andy

jz2

April 3rd, 2011, 9:24 pm #4

minimal skills, but proper tools and the ability to read the various knowledgeable posts made it fairly easy to do.

April 4th, 2011, 12:20 am #5

I'm debating now whether to go into it myself, or send it to Alan. I've been reading some posts from the past, about resealing, and I don't think I have the tools/experience to do it properly. I'd like to learn, and I guess there's no time to learn like now.. I just kind of wish I could sit down with someone who knew how to do it, and learn that way, rather than risk fudging up the gun. Anyone near Boston, with the time, who would like to help me with a project? Just a thought/shot in the dark

thanks for the advice

happy shooting
take care
andy
Too far to sit with you but I can help if you get stuck or have questions. Get a copy of the schematic from Crosman's website for starters. Order up the parts from Alan or Rick at Precision Pellet. Get a small piece of 1/4" icemaker tubing (or I'll send you a piece).

Best to make a tool for removal of the pump cup. I use a washer. The rest isn't too bad if you're mechanically inclined.

Here's a few:

April 4th, 2011, 2:52 am #6

I started to work on it today, just to get the feel of it. I took it about 1/2 way apart, from the back, leaving the pump arm in tact, for another day.
The quad seal seemed ok, I replaced the transfer port seal with some 1/4in tube, like you said, and put it back together. Now its firing on the second pump, so I think I might have done something wierd putting it back together, espec installing the trigger. But it def. fired harder than it has been! The original trans port was all caked and crushed. The barrel was also turned about halfway, in the breach, so just a small bit of the port was still exposed.

I also stripped all the rust off, and got a major headache using some chemicals. I was careful not to get chems into any of the inards tho. Its now shiny steel in places, which is better looking than rust. Started to reblue. It. I don't think its gonna win any awards when done.

I think I will do the job myself, I don't think it'll be as hard as I earlier feared. thanks for the moral support, it definitely gave me more confidence!

Got a book on the 140's coming from D Law. I recently bought a working 140 from the Chinese Forum, I really love it. I want to get its smaller counterpart running, tho! I like the looks of your washer tool, unfortunately our bench grinder stopped working a month ago, inexplicably.

Thanks again, have a good night.
andy

April 4th, 2011, 4:09 am #7

Too far to sit with you but I can help if you get stuck or have questions. Get a copy of the schematic from Crosman's website for starters. Order up the parts from Alan or Rick at Precision Pellet. Get a small piece of 1/4" icemaker tubing (or I'll send you a piece).

Best to make a tool for removal of the pump cup. I use a washer. The rest isn't too bad if you're mechanically inclined.

Here's a few:

do you have any good tips for getting the pin out, so I can remove the pump arm? It seems to be in there pretty good.

I put the hammer in backwards installing it, thats why it was firing on the 2nd pump. Duh. As you can tell you're not dealing with a genius. Now that its back together tho, I can hear the seer engaging, which I don't think it was doing before.

Very impressed with your collection of 140's, very pretty indeed. I'll put up some before and after pics, when its all said and done. Not to get ahead of myself tho.

Thanks
andy

April 4th, 2011, 11:24 pm #8

Use a roll pin punch for the pins. If you don't have those, get a drill bit the same diameter as the pin, chuck it backwards in a drill press and press them out.

Replace the quad seal if you're getting new seals anyway. That is one that often leaks and you'll just need to do it later. On the poly tube, I countersink a very slight depression in the breech to accept the tubing. It will stick right in there while you assemble the tube portion. I use Oxpho cold blue - works good.