Leade

Leade

December 29th, 2011, 11:29 pm #1

How do I smooth the leade on a barrel? when the bolt pushes a pell into the breech on my 2300-T it will sometimes go in somewhat harder than I think it should, like it's maybe deforming the pell some. I've been watching and the ones that require more effort to seat, make more flyers, which tells me that the leade needs some smoothing out to not deform the pell. Now to the point, how to go about the task of smoothing. I did a sharps rifle years ago but it was quite a bit bigger than .177. Dave.

December 30th, 2011, 12:00 am #2

use a phillips head driver slightly larger than the current bore, ream it out, the dremel any potential burrs, but there should be none.

December 30th, 2011, 12:33 am #3

How do I smooth the leade on a barrel? when the bolt pushes a pell into the breech on my 2300-T it will sometimes go in somewhat harder than I think it should, like it's maybe deforming the pell some. I've been watching and the ones that require more effort to seat, make more flyers, which tells me that the leade needs some smoothing out to not deform the pell. Now to the point, how to go about the task of smoothing. I did a sharps rifle years ago but it was quite a bit bigger than .177. Dave.
I used very fine sand paper on a soft expandable ear plug attached to my drill. Takes some time but it works fine. Have used this method on all my crosmans.

December 30th, 2011, 12:39 am #4

use a phillips head driver slightly larger than the current bore, ream it out, the dremel any potential burrs, but there should be none.
Rob, would it help to be a new swrewdriver or would it being used be the better choice?? Dave.

December 30th, 2011, 12:45 am #5

I used very fine sand paper on a soft expandable ear plug attached to my drill. Takes some time but it works fine. Have used this method on all my crosmans.
Lou, what grit? I've everything from 36 to 6000. the sharps I did, I used valve grinding compound imbedded in a wooden dowel, but was dealing with a .406 bore. I do not think that would be practial with the small bore. thanks for the advice. Dave.

December 30th, 2011, 12:45 am #6

Rob, would it help to be a new swrewdriver or would it being used be the better choice?? Dave.
at dollar store for this sole purpose.

December 30th, 2011, 1:00 am #7

Dave - This is a very timely thread. I have been hunting down a cause for shot inconsistancy for a week on a 1377 pistol. I finally looked into the action of the bolt in the breech. The bolt would slide effortlessly to the point where the front of the o-ring just meets the front of the breech. The final push to seat the pellet was more like a click or snap, and required additional force. I fed a few pellets into the barrel today and popped them out. Upon inspection, I found some tiny bit of deformity in the skirts. I am pretty sure the connection between the barrel and the breech is boogered up. Not sure what to do at this point. Leade polishing may be required.

December 30th, 2011, 1:06 am #8

Look at the page linked below but the whole tools section of the main site is "CANDY" especially the abrasives
section. This is the company I use for jewelry making tools and supplies but guess what tools are cool, and they
have got em check them out. There are sooooooo many things here that can be repurposed for air gun work.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Advant ... 910?pos=23

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

December 30th, 2011, 1:33 am #9

Lou, what grit? I've everything from 36 to 6000. the sharps I did, I used valve grinding compound imbedded in a wooden dowel, but was dealing with a .406 bore. I do not think that would be practial with the small bore. thanks for the advice. Dave.
then loaded with lapping compound.Slow, but you wont go too far, and the surface finish is excellent.

If there is a bad step or burr, I'll hand turn a long tapered reamer to rough it in, then lap. Taper pin reamers are about the right taper, and not expensive.

December 30th, 2011, 1:55 am #10

Dave - This is a very timely thread. I have been hunting down a cause for shot inconsistancy for a week on a 1377 pistol. I finally looked into the action of the bolt in the breech. The bolt would slide effortlessly to the point where the front of the o-ring just meets the front of the breech. The final push to seat the pellet was more like a click or snap, and required additional force. I fed a few pellets into the barrel today and popped them out. Upon inspection, I found some tiny bit of deformity in the skirts. I am pretty sure the connection between the barrel and the breech is boogered up. Not sure what to do at this point. Leade polishing may be required.
Larry, this the same reason for me! there are a lot of problems that we on this forum have in common, that we can solve collectively. Dave.