Just read DaySailor;s post about valve volume reduction

Just read DaySailor;s post about valve volume reduction

November 13th, 2011, 5:43 am #1

ohman, where was that a week ago

anyhoo, when I get a minute, itll definitely be worth looking at those again.

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

November 13th, 2011, 6:43 am #2

it might be cool for a carbine version.

November 13th, 2011, 10:37 pm #3

ohman, where was that a week ago

anyhoo, when I get a minute, itll definitely be worth looking at those again.

I used his phase one mods, the piston stuffing, valve nose flattening and the pump cup shimming, on my 760 project. I also found that the valve of the 760 can be "stretched" like the valve in a Benji 39x by leaving the two halves unscrewed just a little (ala Steve in NC). I can feel the piston cup (He did what in his cup? - Mater) bottom out just as the pump arm closes now. A bit different feeling from before the mods. I didn't do his phase two valve reduction mods though, but did do another thing that you can do to a 760 that you can't easily do with a 1377. And like him, I'm getting the original factory 10 pump velocity on only 5 strokes. It's amazing what you can do with a little time, tweaking, some spare parts, and a trip to the hardware store. LOL!!

I plink, therefore I am.

November 14th, 2011, 7:13 am #4

Ok, I'll play with it some more. That and the TP and bolt and bolt probe.... lots to be gained there.....

November 14th, 2011, 12:35 pm #5

You seem to really be having issues with that TP Dan! Old dopey me, it took awhile to grasp what you were referring to as a Tee Pee. But then my first association to "PB" is Paint Ball, rather than Powder Burner (which for some reason makes me think of black powder guns only rather than fire arms in general).

Anyway, it didn't even occur to me to be concerned about the valve to transfer port joint as there already was a seal in there. I figured I'd focus on getting more air into the valve and if that showed promise, and if there was time, I'd look into getting the air out more efficiently later.

I plink, therefore I am.

November 14th, 2011, 6:29 pm #6

which to me (and I'm williung to be corrected here) equates to "wider is more efficient" . Which I assume puts more air to the pel.

November 14th, 2011, 7:46 pm #7

because making it smaller makes the same volume of air move faster, if you up the diameter the air moving out needs to be increased too. In some cases it works but there is surely a balance , finding it is key!(you applied this same theory to springers well with the tp reductions )

November 14th, 2011, 8:28 pm #8

Take your average 1/2" or 5/8" garden hose and turn on the water valve. Water flows but you can't hose down the stray cat in the backyard. Stick yer thumb over the end of the hose to partially block off the outlet, and TA DA! The water sprays out to 20 yards and the cat is soaked and running away! And you didn't use any more water than you had been using.

I plink, therefore I am.

November 14th, 2011, 9:57 pm #9

lol, sorry cap locks

November 14th, 2011, 10:39 pm #10

because making it smaller makes the same volume of air move faster, if you up the diameter the air moving out needs to be increased too. In some cases it works but there is surely a balance , finding it is key!(you applied this same theory to springers well with the tp reductions )
not sure it applies to pumpers