Just got my P-rod (new discovery)

Just got my P-rod (new discovery)

April 17th, 2011, 7:06 am #1

****First off if this topic already came up before I'm sorry to whomever discovered it first***

And not to mention this is all just an experiment and don't know if it helped or not in gaining fps but here goes...tell me what you think.

After getting my prod and opening the package I was astounded at the nice quality of this cheap pistol. Not to shabby Crosman!

Anyway couldn't shoot because of neighbors and rain and so forth. Drilled some holes in the shroud at the rear to help sound...i am unsure this helped the sound level. had it all day, played with it....played with it....took it to my dad's house and shot it once with a pellet, but could not zero the scope. Its a center point. 3-12x44.

Anyway the good stuff.

Decided it was too long and I needed to take it apart (only had it 5-6 hours hehe)found it to be quite similar to our favorite 22xx guns. the hammer and spring was my interest. i wanted to switch it with a stronger spring and replace it with a regular "pellet" shaped hammer weight from my old 2250xt. This obviously caused a problem because the prod hammer is flat on all sides of the weight. With the prod hammer designed to glide over the upgraded trigger/frame and keep the hammer release in the "down" position until cocked. This allows the hammer to be in "cocked and loaded" position. The old 22xx hammer has a section in the middle of it cut out (like a pellet...think beeman crow mags shape) this allows the hammer to catch in the middle of the cocking procedure. so what you have to do is pull the trigger down in order to fully cock the prod with the old 22x hammer installed. this hammer was polished. what I found was it felt like the gun shoots faster because of the heavier hammer spring, and also i think because of the shape of the 22xx hammer it caused the gun to have an effective "hammer debounce" built in! I hope this is true because the amount of air blast coming from the gun seemed like a much shorter duration. This is because the hammer release catch on the trigger stopped the hammer from reaching the valve a after the first hit...I think some more testing is going to be needed......pics will come as soon as I rule out wether this is truly working as a hammer debounce.

Thanks for reading....

April 17th, 2011, 7:17 am #2

Just dry fired th gun till empty. This allows me to see how much the hammer debounce technique works. I can hear and feel the hammer and the valve reactions this way.

What I found is that the setup does have an effective hammer debounce but it does not 100% stop hitting the valve after the first hit. My guess is it hits the valve maybe one or two more times....thats how iot feels to me. But one thing is for sure-- not as much as before! at least 85-95% effective, just a little design change on the old hammer and it may just be an internal hammer debounce device, although some people may find pulling the trigger every time to cock the gun is ridiculous. But I also found that the gun had a kind of internal safety because it can't be cocked without pulling the trigger. especially if you have kids....after adjusting the over-travel screw for the trigger it seemed to help the hammer debounce action a bit more...how i don't know...yet.
Last edited by nitinnelapudi on April 17th, 2011, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2011, 4:56 pm #3

****First off if this topic already came up before I'm sorry to whomever discovered it first***

And not to mention this is all just an experiment and don't know if it helped or not in gaining fps but here goes...tell me what you think.

After getting my prod and opening the package I was astounded at the nice quality of this cheap pistol. Not to shabby Crosman!

Anyway couldn't shoot because of neighbors and rain and so forth. Drilled some holes in the shroud at the rear to help sound...i am unsure this helped the sound level. had it all day, played with it....played with it....took it to my dad's house and shot it once with a pellet, but could not zero the scope. Its a center point. 3-12x44.

Anyway the good stuff.

Decided it was too long and I needed to take it apart (only had it 5-6 hours hehe)found it to be quite similar to our favorite 22xx guns. the hammer and spring was my interest. i wanted to switch it with a stronger spring and replace it with a regular "pellet" shaped hammer weight from my old 2250xt. This obviously caused a problem because the prod hammer is flat on all sides of the weight. With the prod hammer designed to glide over the upgraded trigger/frame and keep the hammer release in the "down" position until cocked. This allows the hammer to be in "cocked and loaded" position. The old 22xx hammer has a section in the middle of it cut out (like a pellet...think beeman crow mags shape) this allows the hammer to catch in the middle of the cocking procedure. so what you have to do is pull the trigger down in order to fully cock the prod with the old 22x hammer installed. this hammer was polished. what I found was it felt like the gun shoots faster because of the heavier hammer spring, and also i think because of the shape of the 22xx hammer it caused the gun to have an effective "hammer debounce" built in! I hope this is true because the amount of air blast coming from the gun seemed like a much shorter duration. This is because the hammer release catch on the trigger stopped the hammer from reaching the valve a after the first hit...I think some more testing is going to be needed......pics will come as soon as I rule out wether this is truly working as a hammer debounce.

Thanks for reading....
...with an indoor lighting accessory would be a very worthwhile addition to your adventure into PCP tuning. It will make it possible to have at least some idea of what your enthuiastic mod's are actually doing to the performance of the gun.

Since you have the good fortune to be able to dismiss a $340 pistol as "cheap" and set about voiding its warranty before even shooting it once, I'm guessing the cost of a chrono won't pose any problem.

Steve

April 17th, 2011, 5:33 pm #4

Yes its on my wish list. I have looked far and low for one here in town, but could not locate one. I have Mostly BSA rifles. two Suptertens, two R-10's, and two Scorpions (all above $700.00 each). All have been tuned and adjusted by me. So excuse me for saying "cheap" because in reality it was cheap compared to the higher quality guns from Europe. Now as far as the gun goes, it is quite nice actually. And I didn't mean cheap in a bad way. Anyway being an engineer by trade it was only natural for me to take apart the gun. And it was quite fun. The gun has huge potential from the way I see it. Anyway Steve thanks for your suggestion....it was quite helpful...I think. Also I can tell when the gun shoots better just by shooting it....its a relationship few have with their guns

April 17th, 2011, 10:16 pm #5

"Also I can tell when the gun shoots better just by shooting it....its a relationship few have with their guns "

No offense, honest. We do a lot of modifying and testing on these forums and given your descriptions I also question anybody's ability to draw conclusions like yours.

I always enjoy others information and data but anecdotes aren't reliable. I'm not saying your information is not reliable, just that most people want it corroborated with measured data before considering it credible. If you read these forums you know how much trouble posters go through to document their work, these same people will dismiss anything less.

Last edited by bigbore on April 17th, 2011, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm #6

...I'm inclined to express it somewhat differently.

I.e., something more along the lines of...

Steve

April 18th, 2011, 12:45 am #7

Ahhh yes. Those that are quick to be so skeptical. As noted in the very beginning of my post..."this is just an experiment..."

I wasn't trying to be very jumpy on the subject nor was I trying to enlighten everybody...I was just passing on info that I felt was going to shed some light on the experiment. As far as credible info. I will in due time bring forth any info, wether it be bad or good to the table, but I didn't say much yet because of the testing phase. Also all my equipment is at my shop located away from my home (and home is where to many sneaky neighbors like to dig their fat noses.) Also my friend was not in town to use his chrono, so I just wanted to throw the info out for you guys to chip in some ideas or thoughts...

Although I got you two guys to bring negative feedback, when you could have just said..."Hey Nitin, did you chrono the results? its hard to tell what you have unless you chrono it, but good job for trying it out."

Anyway Steve, that's a very nice picture...I could say more, but I like this forum and since I have been a member for a very long time, I know my manners.

And for Lon, Sorry if i sounded conceited, it was conceited, and I wanted it to be conceited, so theres that part.

I have owned Air rifles and pistols for a very long time, and though I don't have a chrony, it doesn't take much brain power to realize when you got something good, and even if its not good, its still good. Because I get to learn stuff. That's what really matters.

April 18th, 2011, 1:34 am #8

The drop link does reduce the bounce of the striker.

I posted chrony results a while back (12 - 18 months or so.)

Steve is pretty good at searching, copying and pasting .. maybe he can find it.

MIke T.

---+---

P.S. The Marauder/1701P trigger frames with complete 2-stage parts will be available from Crosman VERY SOON! Somewhare around $45 shipped price point.

April 18th, 2011, 2:16 am #9

...yourself? Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on April 18th, 2011, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2011, 12:24 pm #10

that pic was tooo funny.