If you could only have 1 for 5 years

If you could only have 1 for 5 years

February 18th, 2011, 3:25 am #1

First off new poster (visitor for a long time) happy to be a allowed to post sorry to start off with a question. Thanks for having me. Anyways on to the title question: If you could only have one of these 3 rifles 1.Benjamin Discovery with pump 2.Benjamin trail np 3.Benjamin 392 for 5 years which would you choose?

This question stems from a personal conundrum I am in. I live in BC Canada in an area where it seems very difficult to get a high powered air rifle and will have to get one ordered for me so I will not be able to handle it or inspect it before purchase. what will I use it for you ask... Well grouse, quail, crow the odd snowshoe hare and plenty of plinking and practise of course. what range: it will more then likely be 50 yards and under. the things I NEED in a gun: 1.ACCURACY 2.reliability 3.light and easy to pack around in the bush 4. must put the prey down as long as I do my part out to 50 yards things I WANT in a gun 1.tuneable and adjustable for a nice personalized feel. 2.quiet 3.short 4. warmth (you know that feeling) 5. ready out of the box for allot of use and abuse.

Props to Crosman for putting out 3 guns that that have me pulling out my hair trying to decide. As you can see though some meet some of my needs others meet my wants so I am going to rely on the owners and experienced air gunners of this forum to guide me into the light.

Thank you in advance
your fellow AG junkie
J. Wylde
Last edited by jeepevil on February 18th, 2011, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 18th, 2011, 4:22 am #2

still the best deal going, does it all.

February 18th, 2011, 5:02 am #3

First off new poster (visitor for a long time) happy to be a allowed to post sorry to start off with a question. Thanks for having me. Anyways on to the title question: If you could only have one of these 3 rifles 1.Benjamin Discovery with pump 2.Benjamin trail np 3.Benjamin 392 for 5 years which would you choose?

This question stems from a personal conundrum I am in. I live in BC Canada in an area where it seems very difficult to get a high powered air rifle and will have to get one ordered for me so I will not be able to handle it or inspect it before purchase. what will I use it for you ask... Well grouse, quail, crow the odd snowshoe hare and plenty of plinking and practise of course. what range: it will more then likely be 50 yards and under. the things I NEED in a gun: 1.ACCURACY 2.reliability 3.light and easy to pack around in the bush 4. must put the prey down as long as I do my part out to 50 yards things I WANT in a gun 1.tuneable and adjustable for a nice personalized feel. 2.quiet 3.short 4. warmth (you know that feeling) 5. ready out of the box for allot of use and abuse.

Props to Crosman for putting out 3 guns that that have me pulling out my hair trying to decide. As you can see though some meet some of my needs others meet my wants so I am going to rely on the owners and experienced air gunners of this forum to guide me into the light.

Thank you in advance
your fellow AG junkie
J. Wylde
For me, I would rather shoot around any the pistols from Mountain Air Custom Airguns. IMO, the guy is incredible and makes/customizes the best stuff on the market.

February 18th, 2011, 5:57 am #4

still the best deal going, does it all.
yes the discovery has been at the top of my list for quite some time but after looking at the options available it has made the decision alot more complicated and with moderators being illegal here the noise level has me a bit on edge. I have probably red and researched the discovery for at least 30+ hours and have even built a moderator(shhhhh dont tell)and designed a bullpup stock for it without even owning one. It was the gun of my dreams but now im not so sure. I mean I have never really owned a brand new air rifle except my old 760 and then bought my brothers gamo sporter off of him after it was a few years old which I have recently given to my younger brother which is why im in the market for a new gun (and desperate for one lol) I just want to make the right decision as it will be a long time before I will be ready for another. So im thinking that if one of these other guns can do what I want I could avoid the initial start up price noise level (biggest concern as I hear it is close to rimfire level)
could someone verify noise level for me? will people down the road here me shooting all day or like people within 50 yards?
Last edited by jeepevil on February 18th, 2011, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 18th, 2011, 6:03 am #5

Thank you in advance
your fellow AG junkie
J. Wylde
I dont think any of the guns you listed will fulfill the entire list of desires. And you had asked for OOB, but you CAN get what yer after if you want to dink with it some after you get it

The Trail aint short, but it is quiet, the 392 is short but it aint queit, and the disco aint short or quiet, but it'll do the job at 50 yards....

Again, if your willing to work on it, the Disco witha  shroud added will fulfill a lot of the wish list

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremecy

February 18th, 2011, 6:26 am #6

very true a shroud would be ideal on the discovery however I am concerned with my knowledge in making one and the 10 years mandatory sentence for getting caught with one. Could you please clarify "OOB" also I will be walking up and down rural gravel roads/fsr's (some houses far apart) and dont want to be making rimfire like noises everytime I spot a grouse. So without a shroud it would apear to be exactly that? correct?
Thank you so much for the resposes from everybody and Mr dan house I have seen your posts many times in my research and know you must know your stuff so thank you for taking the time helping me with this decision. It is looking more and more likely that the good old fashioned break barrel might just end up in my hands. although the 392 is very tantalizing the only reason I am not all over it is the effective range concerns me as well as the accuracy at 30+ yards has been inconsistent in my research even with the fellows who have cleaned the overspray from the barrel however I am not sure if they are using a scope or peep sight as you have to go the extra step and order the air venturi intermount if you want to properly mount a rifle scope. Is the sound level on par with the discovery as you insinuated?

February 18th, 2011, 4:01 pm #7

The gun I use mostly on grouse is a 2240 based pistol, open sites and modded for more power.

Not real loud, but has the poop to take down grouse at 25 yards with chest shots.

I carry it in an inside pocket of my jacket ( has only an 8" barrel), so it is stealthy, light, and convenient to pack around, especially when riding my quad in the forests.

February 18th, 2011, 4:18 pm #8

Thank you in advance
your fellow AG junkie
J. Wylde
you might consider purchasing a 22xx and modding it.

Just yesterday I performed a few more tweeks on my AS2250XT hpa. The mods yielded 34.6 fpe with a 25.4 gr pellet!!! I'll post about it this weekend.

A gun like this could be built with a full length carbon fiber "barrel support".

Granted, it's not a turn key solution, but the possibilities are vast.

Just my two pesos.

February 18th, 2011, 5:43 pm #9

very true a shroud would be ideal on the discovery however I am concerned with my knowledge in making one and the 10 years mandatory sentence for getting caught with one. Could you please clarify "OOB" also I will be walking up and down rural gravel roads/fsr's (some houses far apart) and dont want to be making rimfire like noises everytime I spot a grouse. So without a shroud it would apear to be exactly that? correct?
Thank you so much for the resposes from everybody and Mr dan house I have seen your posts many times in my research and know you must know your stuff so thank you for taking the time helping me with this decision. It is looking more and more likely that the good old fashioned break barrel might just end up in my hands. although the 392 is very tantalizing the only reason I am not all over it is the effective range concerns me as well as the accuracy at 30+ yards has been inconsistent in my research even with the fellows who have cleaned the overspray from the barrel however I am not sure if they are using a scope or peep sight as you have to go the extra step and order the air venturi intermount if you want to properly mount a rifle scope. Is the sound level on par with the discovery as you insinuated?
a 392 with AC mods will. By cutting the discharge air volume in half, noise is also cut in half, with no illegal ad on. (as I understand your post, mufflers are illegal on an air rifle producing more than 500 fps in your area)

A 392 with AC mods, an accuracy tune, and trigger tunes will not be cheap...a bit more than the disco/pump package.

Another option would be the Disco,with an HDD installed.

February 18th, 2011, 8:57 pm #10

The gun I use mostly on grouse is a 2240 based pistol, open sites and modded for more power.

Not real loud, but has the poop to take down grouse at 25 yards with chest shots.

I carry it in an inside pocket of my jacket ( has only an 8" barrel), so it is stealthy, light, and convenient to pack around, especially when riding my quad in the forests.
A pistol is a very interesting Idea although it would have to be under 500fps and longer or longer than 26" otherwise it would be considered a restricted firearm. Pistols have always been foreign to me and do not have much experience with them I have looked at the 2250 outdoorsman as an option however if I were to do that I would want to do an HPA conversion and would need to buy a pump for that and now were looking at the discovery again. Very good option for me to look into after (if) I get my restricted license.
Thank you for your input.
J. Wylde