i noticed today the 760's

i noticed today the 760's

November 3rd, 2011, 1:29 am #1

loudest part is actually the hammer moving inside the echo shell, the shot noise is very little , even less than my 953. wish there was a "depinger" strategy to get rid of that nasty hammer noise, especially now that its next to my head(bullpup)

November 3rd, 2011, 2:40 am #2

...it could be largely eliminated with a fitted guide.

The gimmick works famously in springers.

Steve

November 3rd, 2011, 2:49 am #3

the hammer tube and valve fittings are sloppy. Dan kinda verified it with the caliper when looking into his trigger issues.were the hammer perfectly fitted to the tube , a slightly heavier spring behind it that fits the full I.d of the tube to make up for new viscocity,and a felt backstop were layed in the front , it would be virtually silent I would think. I dont have the time before the 14th to experiment, im 40hrs in as it is.( i also think most springer tunes are simply that , a gimmick)unless its switching the spring to a ram
Last edited by robnewyork on November 3rd, 2011, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 3rd, 2011, 3:49 am #4

In my experience, suppressing mainspring twang with fitted guides makes an important and dramatic improvement in the fun in firing them.

Steve

November 3rd, 2011, 4:04 am #5

my statement was mostly hyperbole.I have a b3 22cal that shoots amazing so I know it can be done.i simply feel most "home remedies" produce little results and springers are mostly a pain in the butt.I have 2 left , mostly for sentimental(one ive had 12yrs) reasons. You never shared your "debounce detwang "thoughts from my previous comment.
Last edited by robnewyork on November 3rd, 2011, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 3rd, 2011, 4:20 am #6

...simply spacing out the stock spring guide until it was a resonably close fit to the ID of the spring.

Steve

November 3rd, 2011, 12:34 pm #7

loudest part is actually the hammer moving inside the echo shell, the shot noise is very little , even less than my 953. wish there was a "depinger" strategy to get rid of that nasty hammer noise, especially now that its next to my head(bullpup)
Rob, with your bullpup design, does your face contact the receiver when shooting? If so that makes you feel the noise as well as hear it better. I don't notice the noise so much when shooting, but then the ear closest to the action doesn't work too well anyway!
Mostly what I hear when shooting a 760 is the hammer striking the valve and the pellet hitting the target.

Steve's right about the twang though. A tighter guide will kill the vibration be it a pumper's hammer spring or a springer's main spring. A little goopy grease will help too, but mainly a good fit to the guide is the key. I found that an empty .22LR casing has a perfect fit inside a lot of Crosman springs and makes a nice guide.

Perhaps some of that speaker stuff mentioned on the yellow for "depinging" might work on the outside of the tube to kill hammer noise? A little foam inside the receiver housing might help too. Doesn't cure the cause of the noise, but may help hide it.

I plink, therefore I am.

November 3rd, 2011, 2:08 pm #8

ill have to apply these theories to the 417 when i get one ..And yes andy, my cheek weld is now the reciever .

November 5th, 2011, 2:19 am #9

I use large tension springs for some bog-bores, if I don't de-twang them it's worse than
the tube ping. I've used a rolled-up strip of felt or a rectangular strip of neoprene
(wetsuit) slipped inside the spring (pulled through with nylon line).

Thinking back to the 760's twang, it is exceptionally twangy.

November 5th, 2011, 5:07 am #10

and oddd, might be a consideration if i rework the whole model after the buildoff is done.. theres so many steps i skipped because of desadline.