How to extend a barrel.

How to extend a barrel.

February 13th, 2012, 3:18 pm #1

I read a post here, some were but I can't find it with search. Two barrels were combined together. I remember how it was done but want to fine the article so I can be sure of all the details. Like how to prep the two ends that go together. I think the dowel rod sounds like a good way to align the rifling. Any one done this befor?

February 13th, 2012, 4:45 pm #2

drive a slightly over sized 2" long dowel in to first barrel and out the other end leaving 1 inch sticking out. it will have the rifling engraved on it so that you can shove the 2nd barrel over it. the both ends of both barrels need to be squared in a lathe so they can be fitted totally flush. a sleeve with holes drilled in it that just barely fits over the joint is slid on to cover the joint. only needs to be a inch long. with heat acid flux is dripped in the joint which is then soldered with 50/50 solder. the whole affair can be covered with a shroud so that it looks like a single barrel inside. the dowel will have loosened and be easy to drive out. note that after getting the initial alignment you must make a clamp to hold the 2 in place as the heat will burn the wood and they can get out of alignment. If you do not have the ends squared in a lathe solder will get inside and stick to the rifling. I have done it with a .22 barrel, it does work and I could not see any difference in a pellet pushed through nor any imperfection looking inside the barrels. john

February 13th, 2012, 6:54 pm #3

I had no idea how long the dowel rod needed to be. Have you tried this using epoxy? The barrels are .440 OD and the SS tubing I plan to use is .460 ID. That leaves .020 clearance. That would be .010 on all sides if I am looking at it right. I will be using the sleeve on the full length.
Does this sound ok?
Thanks

February 13th, 2012, 8:50 pm #4

the big deal is to not leave any room for glue or solder to get inside the barrels. the sleeve needs holes in its sides for the solder to flow into, also all parts need to be super clean. If you have much less than a sliding fit the barrels can cock to the side and allow solder to get inside the barrels at which point would be next to impossible to get out with out ruining rifling or dis assembly. with out a lathe you are probably not going to be able to get a flush fit between the barrels. I put a 2240 barrel up with a 2260 barrel. I suppose you could use glue or epoxy but it is so much thicker than solder that it would be a lot harder to get enough contact area and require more clearance on the sleeve.

February 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm #5

I can thin down the epoxy with alcohol but I am worried it will not setup in the sleeve were there will not be enough air for the alcohol to evaporate. I only have a wood lathe. so getting it perfect may be tough. Shouldn't the dowel rod help keep the glue out? I may see if I can find a machinist locally. Know of any one around Dallas Texas?

February 14th, 2012, 4:57 am #6

if you are using a dowel to line up the rifling I suppose you could put some grease in the barrel then after the engraved inch of rod is driven out slide a greased 2nd barrel over it...then clean all the extra grease on out side of barrels off.

I have a marauder stock and an 1 1/4 tube that I am going to make a big bore co2 out of. have not decided on cal., might use a muzzle loader barrel and could possibly use 2 of those 16.5" 9mm barrels spliced. 33" is about as short as I would want to go when using co2 for big bore. what I have in mind is a back porch plinker that could be used for pig hunting. was looking today and a marauder magazine is a bit less than $30 so I would be able to have a 6 shot repeater fairly easy. I will make the breach and valve my self.

February 14th, 2012, 1:30 pm #7

6 shot,9mm with a 30 inch barrel? For less than $1500. Great idea.