How do I fix a bent barrel.

How do I fix a bent barrel.

February 17th, 2012, 4:18 am #1

Got my 9mm barrel in and it has a slight bend. I was thinking of using an old drill press to bend it back.
HELP!!

February 17th, 2012, 5:00 am #2

Liners often are very much subject to getting bent/warped - in particular the very thin walled liners. The reason is that they are meant to installed in a thick walled bored out barrel, which will align them straight.

What you can do, if this barrel is for a Crosman breech project, is get a steel tube that is straight, same I.D. as that of the O.D. of the barrel, and use it up to the breech, butt it against the breech.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

February 17th, 2012, 10:25 am #3

Grainger has some seamless SS tubing that is .020 larger. Will that work?

February 17th, 2012, 1:34 pm #4

That would make for a nice slip fit. Meaning there would be .25mm from outside of the liner to the inside wall of the stainless tube.

To take up the play PRIOR to installing the stainless, this trick may work for you: Clean the barrel outside wall very well, steel wool it with '0000' grade steel wool, then "tin" a thin layer of solder over the outside. This will build up the outside making the overall O.D. of the liner larger. One application of the tinning process should do the trick.

Keep in mind, if the stainless tube is too thin, or the liner has a bad enough warp, the trick may not straighten out the liner.

What is the liner O.D. (caliper measurement)? I can try to source some tube...

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

February 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm #5

They also have one that is .500 OD and .430 ID. The liner is .440. Could I heat shrink them? Would that be tight enough?

February 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm #6

MonoKote shrink film may work as it is thin and layers can be built up.

February 17th, 2012, 2:43 pm #7

Heat the Tubing and freeze the Barrel. The OD of the barrel is .010 larger than the ID of the tubing. Grainger #3ACh7

February 17th, 2012, 4:02 pm #8

Got my 9mm barrel in and it has a slight bend. I was thinking of using an old drill press to bend it back.
HELP!!
post foul-up nt
Last edited by oo7fuzz on February 17th, 2012, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 17th, 2012, 5:13 pm #9

Heat the Tubing and freeze the Barrel. The OD of the barrel is .010 larger than the ID of the tubing. Grainger #3ACh7
likely a half thou would be max for a shrink fit with those two pieces.

As to straightening if a smooth bow then flex it over your knee until it rolls easy across a counter top...

That thin tube is begging for a shroud....

February 17th, 2012, 5:24 pm #10

If I try I will only get half way? That would really suck. I have done it with a ring gear on a pipe but never two long peices of tubing.