Hmmmm is there a tool for this....

Hmmmm is there a tool for this....

December 6th, 2011, 2:31 am #1

So I took apart one of my LDCs just to check out the internal design. To get the baffles out I had to use a rubber mallet and a steel round bar. I really like the idea of an interference fit for these devices and will start working on a few prototypes myself. My question is if there is a tool that can press the baffles inside the tube, maybe even something that tells me my depth as well would be useful. A hammer is pretty much caveman style and I'm pretty sure the orginal creator didn't do this. I was thinking maybe chucking up a round bar in a drill press with the machine off and just pressing it down like that but I wouldn't want to damage the spindle or bearings. Anybody know of such of tool that has accurate repeatibility and won't damage any of the componets. It has to be pretty strong as this is an inteference fit. Any tips welcome. TIA

Semper Fi,
Derek

P.S. I didn't know if light LDC discussion was allowed on this forum, if this is out of regs Mods please let me know and I'll crush the thread.

December 6th, 2011, 2:34 am #2

im not sure what you are trying to accomplish , but a simple c-clamp would work excellent for pressure fittiing each baffle progressively , then add a spring at the end if u so desire- bolt the c-clamp to the table after cutting the non functioning end off
Last edited by robnewyork on December 6th, 2011, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 6th, 2011, 2:49 am #3

Rob basically what I'm trying to do is 1) put my can back together 2) have a tool that won't break when I try to press the baffles into a tube. The baffles are over sized so they won't just fit inside without considerable force applied. This is turn keeps them aligned without adding some kind of filler. Basically I just want a tool I can press them down in there with a lever, but I'd also like to know how far I went down. However its not neccesary since I could just use the depth part of a caliper to measure this, so the measurement part of the tool isn't crucial but it would be and added advantage. I'm guessing an arbor press would be best for something like this, but I'm open to other suggestions. The wife thought the arbor press was also a good idea since she could also use it to imprint leather with special press stencils. Anybody got anything else?

Semper Fi,
Derek

December 6th, 2011, 6:13 am #4

So I took apart one of my LDCs just to check out the internal design. To get the baffles out I had to use a rubber mallet and a steel round bar. I really like the idea of an interference fit for these devices and will start working on a few prototypes myself. My question is if there is a tool that can press the baffles inside the tube, maybe even something that tells me my depth as well would be useful. A hammer is pretty much caveman style and I'm pretty sure the orginal creator didn't do this. I was thinking maybe chucking up a round bar in a drill press with the machine off and just pressing it down like that but I wouldn't want to damage the spindle or bearings. Anybody know of such of tool that has accurate repeatibility and won't damage any of the componets. It has to be pretty strong as this is an inteference fit. Any tips welcome. TIA

Semper Fi,
Derek

P.S. I didn't know if light LDC discussion was allowed on this forum, if this is out of regs Mods please let me know and I'll crush the thread.
a spring can hold things in place.

Pacific Airgun Expo
email: pae@pacificairgunexpo.com

December 6th, 2011, 6:27 am #5

Semper Fi,
Derek

I don't really think I need a 1 ton or even 1/2 ton arbor press. Will a drill press (benchtop) give me a few hundred pounds of leverage without screwing with the spindle or damaging the bearings?

December 6th, 2011, 2:27 pm #6

It is possible to use a drill press as an arbor press, but it is bad practice. An arbor press is pretty cheap when compared to a drill press is broken or bent.

$39 for a cheap small one
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... TPG=INLMK3
$454 for a big one
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... TPG=INLMK3

with a lot of choice in between.

I have a 1 ton (small to medium sized) and use it a lot for than I thought I would.

Martin D. White

December 6th, 2011, 6:20 pm #7

Rob basically what I'm trying to do is 1) put my can back together 2) have a tool that won't break when I try to press the baffles into a tube. The baffles are over sized so they won't just fit inside without considerable force applied. This is turn keeps them aligned without adding some kind of filler. Basically I just want a tool I can press them down in there with a lever, but I'd also like to know how far I went down. However its not neccesary since I could just use the depth part of a caliper to measure this, so the measurement part of the tool isn't crucial but it would be and added advantage. I'm guessing an arbor press would be best for something like this, but I'm open to other suggestions. The wife thought the arbor press was also a good idea since she could also use it to imprint leather with special press stencils. Anybody got anything else?

Semper Fi,
Derek
as long as I do not exert more pressure on the handle than the pressure the largest drill bit recommended for that drill press would require. To me pressure is pressure. Tis why they call it a drill press.

If you can get a length of threaded rod to pass thru the assembly, then a washer and nut can be installed in either end and you can pull the components together in stead of pressing them.

December 6th, 2011, 7:59 pm #8

Semper Fi,
Derek

Freeze the baffles (inserts). Heat the tube if its a metal,in an oven to 140-160 degrees. The contraction of the baffles and the expansion of the tube should be enough to reassemble.This is an old car trick that works with ball joints,seals,bearings and so on. This trick has never failed me. It's only going to cost you time and free is good!

December 6th, 2011, 8:22 pm #9

good call , thats the neatest way to do it also , no scuffing of parts etc.. nt

December 6th, 2011, 10:31 pm #10

I don't really think I need a 1 ton or even 1/2 ton arbor press. Will a drill press (benchtop) give me a few hundred pounds of leverage without screwing with the spindle or damaging the bearings?
I used my drill press on a clutch pack, worked fine once, the next time the clamp that adjust the table height snapped. I used a small hyd bottle jack on top of my work bench and cut a piece pipe long enought to go up to the ceiling joist. Put the tube on top of the jack and the pipe on the baffle, could put marking tape on the pipe @ the depth you want.

Rick H