Help with Williams Sight

Help with Williams Sight

February 24th, 2012, 12:41 am #1

I have a couple of Sheridans and I would like to install Williams Sights but ... they are not tapped for sights.
What size of drill and tap do I need?
Anything special I need to worry about?

The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself.

Life Member of the NRA

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus
"Carpe Diem" - Seize the day

My toys:
* Mountain Air QB78, 20, Xisico 3-9x40
* Mountain Air AS2250XT, Xisico 3-9x40
* MAC1 Steroid Benjamin 392
* Sheridan Blue Streak, 1974
* Sheridan Blue Streak, F, 1975
* Benjamin AS392
* Crosman 180 .22
* Crosman 1377 .22
* Crosman Model 1 .22
* Crosman 2200 Magnum

February 24th, 2012, 3:04 am #2

February 24th, 2012, 12:09 pm #3

I recently installed a williams peep sight on my 397. Although it had at one time mounting screws. They where buggered up quit well. My hardest problem was getting the breach true and square on my small press.
any how. I read that the #64 peep sight tends to not adjust low enough. Rather than mess with the front dight I had to fill down the bottom of the peep bracket to get it to shoot POA to POI @ 25 yards.
This stuff is only fun if you love it!

February 24th, 2012, 6:31 pm #4

Anon was this the Williams 5D-SH that you had to modify or the model 64?
Last edited by DJammer on February 24th, 2012, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 24th, 2012, 9:40 pm #5

I have a couple of Sheridans and I would like to install Williams Sights but ... they are not tapped for sights.

Life Member of the NRA

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

My toys:
* Benjamin AS392
* Crosman 180 .22
* Crosman 1377 .22
* Crosman Model 1 .22
* Crosman 2200 Magnum
a Sheridan that is not already drilled and tapped for one might be a bit of a pain, depending on your skill level and available machines.
First off, the taps required won't be in any readily available sets. You'll probably need two, a plug style to get things started, and a bottoming to finish up with. The size and pitch are #6x48 the drill size is #31.
The holes will have to be absolutely square with the breech, and not break through into the bolt bore. In addition you have to go real easy when tapping so that the tap doesn't put a bulge into the bolt bore.
OK that's the hard part.
What I usually advise folks that don't want to buy the drill, and taps for the job, or are a little fidgety about the whole process is to glue the sight in place. I generally recommend using #380 Black Max, or the professional series rear view mirror adhesive found in most auto parts stores. Then for a pro looking job, just put a black plastic cap in the one screw hole that shows.
And, on a Sheridan you won't need a taller front sight. That problem will only be with most of the Benjamins.

February 25th, 2012, 6:28 am #6

Anon was this the Williams 5D-SH that you had to modify or the model 64?
Funny you mention that. I ordered the #64 peep sight but when I recieved it it was the 5d-SH sight. I called vendor and was told they are the same ?

February 25th, 2012, 7:04 am #7

a Sheridan that is not already drilled and tapped for one might be a bit of a pain, depending on your skill level and available machines.
First off, the taps required won't be in any readily available sets. You'll probably need two, a plug style to get things started, and a bottoming to finish up with. The size and pitch are #6x48 the drill size is #31.
The holes will have to be absolutely square with the breech, and not break through into the bolt bore. In addition you have to go real easy when tapping so that the tap doesn't put a bulge into the bolt bore.
OK that's the hard part.
What I usually advise folks that don't want to buy the drill, and taps for the job, or are a little fidgety about the whole process is to glue the sight in place. I generally recommend using #380 Black Max, or the professional series rear view mirror adhesive found in most auto parts stores. Then for a pro looking job, just put a black plastic cap in the one screw hole that shows.
And, on a Sheridan you won't need a taller front sight. That problem will only be with most of the Benjamins.
It sound like the glue is the way to go.

February 25th, 2012, 3:56 pm #8

Life Member of the NRA

My toys:
* Benjamin AS392
* Crosman 180 .22
* Crosman 1377 .22
* Crosman Model 1 .22
* Crosman 2200 Magnum
I decided to have Tim at MAC1 do the tricky tapping.
I figured that by the time I bought the drill and tap,
and then sent it to him to fix what i buggered, I was money ahead.

BTW I also purchased the #64 from him.

Love shooting peeps.
Last edited by Daysailer on February 25th, 2012, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2012, 2:31 am #9

Life Member of the NRA

My toys:
* Benjamin AS392
* Crosman 180 .22
* Crosman 1377 .22
* Crosman Model 1 .22
* Crosman 2200 Magnum
The brass taps easily. If you have a drill press, you can to this. Best bet is to get the breech square by holding it in a drill press vise. I'd used some wood shims to do it free hand. Get the hole location marked good and take it slow with the drill at low speed. Once the holes are in, you can chuck the tap and turn the chuck by hand to put the threads on. A plug tap will do as you don't need a lot of threads to hold. Bottom tap is good to chase to the bottom of the holes but not necessary. If you have a drill press vise, you can drill and tap without turning the drill on, it drills and taps that easily with sharp (new) tools.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

February 29th, 2012, 5:39 pm #10

OK that's the hard part.
On all the guns made from the transitionasl onward the Breeches are large and taller. The Williams base had to be moved up to mount higher so the base could clear the breech.
Recently at SHOT I got together with the guys at Williams Gun Sight and we adjusted their tooling so that even tho the sights are mounted higher the base has been clearanced so the top goes lower and will now bottom on the breech rather than the base.
Sheridans and Benjamins from 89 onward have all the same height fronts but how low the peep will go is what limits you.
All 5DSH Production from March mid month onward will be 100% fits all guns. What they have now leftover is a few of the fits the old guns good and needs to be clearanced to work on the newer Post '89 guns.
You will never be able to get a lot of Dans or Benjis to print to POA at 10 yards with 10 pumps but four pumps no problem.
The Williams is a great upgrade and I've drilled and tapped thousands of guns for the sight. Drill & Tap Only is $15 if you strip the guns cam group and trigger/hammer off. I can do the work with the Bolt & Lug still installed so you can leave that.
I will be getting the Old style williams this week so I can take care of the Old Steroids done and waiting for sights.
As soon as Williams makes the newer version they will send those to me as well. Earlier sights can be easily modded with a 1/2" end mill so they will fit late Dans and Benjis. That is $10 including return shipping. We lower the shelf that limits the upper sights downward movement by 60-70 thou.
You can modify the upper or base but the base is easier when you have a Bridgeport. The upper is easier to clearance if your using a file and elbow grease.

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim

Mac1 Airgun