Has anyone ever modded a 1389 stock for younger shooters.

Has anyone ever modded a 1389 stock for younger shooters.

April 22nd, 2012, 11:29 pm #1

I finished my 1377 project, now its a carbine, both of my kids love to shoot it, but the stock is a bit long for my youngest. I have a spare stock and was thinking of cutting it down shorter[swapping it out when they want to shoot it], maybe making it adjustable. Any suggestions?

April 23rd, 2012, 4:10 am #2

...down the page...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/t ... stock+mods

I plink, therefore I am.

April 23rd, 2012, 2:59 pm #3

I finished my 1377 project, now its a carbine, both of my kids love to shoot it, but the stock is a bit long for my youngest. I have a spare stock and was thinking of cutting it down shorter[swapping it out when they want to shoot it], maybe making it adjustable. Any suggestions?
You definitely can make the 1389 stock much more comfortable and ergonomic with some basic shop tools. Shortening length of pull and repositioning the butt pad makes a huge difference. I took my inspiration from stocks modded by Michael Chavka.

April 23rd, 2012, 4:49 pm #4

check out this :
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ ... pull-5551/

measure the bottom length from the grip, square the top. when cutting the butt off, add the thichness of the butt to the cut . cut just forward of the arc of the curve in the stock squaring the cuts.

you can drill a pilot hole before cutting past the cut out length, that way when you drill a hole to add a screw you'll have the holes lined up to match. after the cut, drill you the hole to work with your screw, recess the butt for the head. keep the two ends cleaned and glue. I used gorilla glue but you can use super glue as well. align the ends, glue, screw.

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal

April 24th, 2012, 3:11 am #5

Why not adapt one of these 4 position stocks. Then you will have the best of all worlds. I made my adapter but someone sells them for about 20 bucks. This stock is in the collapsed position.

More photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/packrat/image/132233137

Packrat1947
Last edited by Packrat1947 on May 5th, 2012, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 3:44 pm #6

nt