Finished 1377 & vs Ruger Mark I .177

Finished 1377 & vs Ruger Mark I .177

August 25th, 2011, 11:21 pm #1

This is just an update from my previous post(9 posts down) and a comparison of the Ruger Mark I. I posted my results from test firing the 1377 with no windage & elevation adjustments. The targets you see are from the .22 conversion just slapped together and one type of pellet that I had laying around.The 1377 is balls dead on!The Ruger Mark I has alot of punch but not very accurate.The trigger pull is horrid.Probably a 1 inch pull @ 7 puonds.It was tested with 7 types of .177 pellets.The Crosman SSP $10.00 non lead pellet shot low.You would think it would shoot high because it's a lighter pellet.It had a higher velocity gain because it emitted a louder crack when fired.The other 5 shot low and left with 4-5 in. groups.The best results I got with the Mark I was with the Daisy pointed pellets from the Daisy Tri pack 2.99 from Wally Wolrd.I had 2 guns shoot better with Daisy pellets than the more expensive pellets.Makes me wonder if Daisy has been kept in the closet.The Mark I has a real short barrel and I think that might be it's downfall.I'm not a big fan of the spring pistol guns.Sure they pack a big wallop but they're not consistent.I prefer the air over spring as it is more accurate and less noisey.That's why i think the PCP guns are so expensive.Air over spring.I do plan on getting a Crosman Nitro Piston rifle though because of the rave reviews.In my opinion,you have to have rocks in your head not to buy the 1377 @ $54.00.The gun shoots great right out of the clam pack.With a few basic $50.00 to $75.00 modifications you have a dynamite gun.I can see why people do the 24" barrel with the carbine stock.I'm going to sell the Ruger Mark I and buy another 1377 and keep it @ .177 with a few modifications.I don't mind pumping if it means accuracy shot after shot.Anyway here's the results of the PC77.
Last edited by mafatone on August 26th, 2011, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 26th, 2011, 5:42 am #2

My 1377 looks exactly like yours... It's also dead on accurate but after putting on the steel breech I don't know how I want to do my rear sights... I also have a Phase II with the same issue... I've tried making an adapter that took the stock sights but the thing sits too high and it ain't too pretty....

August 26th, 2011, 9:14 am #3

.....a paper clip as a rear sight and the 1377 would still shoot dimes @ 10m. I'm still amazed how a 1377 budget gun,out of the box can be so accurate!Hey Mav from what i see it's worthy of the Williams or the LPA rear sight.I just chose to keep the factory sights.No matter what your choice,you can't go wrong.I would love to see what these pups can do with a scope mounted on it. Mmmmmm.............

August 26th, 2011, 10:20 am #4

throw a couple of cheapo rifle scopes on my 1377s for a day just so I could shoot them after the steel breech installs... They were accurate as ever but I had to hold them awkwardly close to get the correct eye relief... I'm not used to holding a pistol like that... I'm sure a pistol scope would have been better and more comfortable... I've actually been researching them but I still like shooting open sights also...

August 26th, 2011, 11:13 am #5

This is just an update from my previous post(9 posts down) and a comparison of the Ruger Mark I. I posted my results from test firing the 1377 with no windage & elevation adjustments. The targets you see are from the .22 conversion just slapped together and one type of pellet that I had laying around.The 1377 is balls dead on!The Ruger Mark I has alot of punch but not very accurate.The trigger pull is horrid.Probably a 1 inch pull @ 7 puonds.It was tested with 7 types of .177 pellets.The Crosman SSP $10.00 non lead pellet shot low.You would think it would shoot high because it's a lighter pellet.It had a higher velocity gain because it emitted a louder crack when fired.The other 5 shot low and left with 4-5 in. groups.The best results I got with the Mark I was with the Daisy pointed pellets from the Daisy Tri pack 2.99 from Wally Wolrd.I had 2 guns shoot better with Daisy pellets than the more expensive pellets.Makes me wonder if Daisy has been kept in the closet.The Mark I has a real short barrel and I think that might be it's downfall.I'm not a big fan of the spring pistol guns.Sure they pack a big wallop but they're not consistent.I prefer the air over spring as it is more accurate and less noisey.That's why i think the PCP guns are so expensive.Air over spring.I do plan on getting a Crosman Nitro Piston rifle though because of the rave reviews.In my opinion,you have to have rocks in your head not to buy the 1377 @ $54.00.The gun shoots great right out of the clam pack.With a few basic $50.00 to $75.00 modifications you have a dynamite gun.I can see why people do the 24" barrel with the carbine stock.I'm going to sell the Ruger Mark I and buy another 1377 and keep it @ .177 with a few modifications.I don't mind pumping if it means accuracy shot after shot.Anyway here's the results of the PC77.
Looks like your 1377/22 is a keeper!

I've found that most all of my .22 caliber air rifles prefer Daisy wadcutters to just about any Crosman pellets. That includes my old Crosman 102 and my Benji 392.

I plink, therefore I am.

August 26th, 2011, 5:33 pm #6

Hey Mav, I know the eye releif is longer but what's the magnification on a pistol scope? Andy, i never hear anyone brag about Daisy pellets.Like I said my two pistols love them.I'm buying more.

August 26th, 2011, 6:13 pm #7

There are different models usually starting at 2x20, 2x30, 2.5x30, and 4x32... I was researching the less expensive ones... I forget which one Pyramid Air sells... I'm looking at a ranged version 2-7x32 with an 8.7-10.7 eye relief... That one scope that they throw on the front of those Benjamins with the long eye relief might work also...

August 27th, 2011, 2:05 am #8

I have a few scoped long guns but i know nothing about pistol scopes.Now I know.Thank you for the reply.

August 30th, 2011, 2:56 am #9

throw a couple of cheapo rifle scopes on my 1377s for a day just so I could shoot them after the steel breech installs... They were accurate as ever but I had to hold them awkwardly close to get the correct eye relief... I'm not used to holding a pistol like that... I'm sure a pistol scope would have been better and more comfortable... I've actually been researching them but I still like shooting open sights also...
I think everybody should have at least two, one scoped with a stock
and one with iron or red dot sight.
You can always install a longer barrel under the scope Woo Hoo!
and some trigger work
and a valve mod or two
some nice grips
and a laser for night pest shooting
and a flat top piston
extended probe
port mods
solid pivot pins
etc
etc
etc
And best of all you can make tremendous improvements on the cheap, with
some basic tools, and information gleaned from these pages.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

January 30th, 2012, 7:29 am #10

A follow up on this pig,slob of a gun.Keep in mind i rarely shoot this thing.This gun always shot 6" high & 3" to the left @ 20 ft. with the rear sight maxed out. While shooting one day, a chunk of metal from the rear of the barrel/breech came flying out.Whoa! I've never seen this before. Called Umarex,they said send the gun in for warranty work.Two weeks go by and no Emails or phone calls about the gun.At least acknowledge you received the package.The gun arrives with a shattered rear sight.Called Umarex again and received a rear sight in three days.Installed the rear sight and the gun still shoots high & left.Don't they test fire these guns before they leave the service dept.? Unreal. It took me 4-5 hours to custom make a front sight that looks like it came from the factory.Now it's on target at least. I shouldn't have to do this! The factory should've checked it before it left. I would post a picture but i feel this gun's not not even worth the effort of pressing my finger on the shoot button.