Dovetail sights for Sheridan

Dovetail sights for Sheridan

June 9th, 2012, 6:40 pm #1

I've had some cheap old Copperhead red dot on my Sheridan plinker and either the dot wend all out of focus or my eyes have (It's tough to get old) because it is no longer a dot. I was going to put the original rear dovetail sight back on but after a few years I have lost track of the parts.

Not interested in mounting a scope to it because I do not like the ergonomics of pumping the gun with a scope mounted and a long eye relief (pistol) scope is of no interest to me. So, I just want to go back to the old iron sights.

Anyone know of a good source for replacement parts?

Alternatively, what are anyone's thoughts on the Williams rear sight? My gun is a 1997 or so model C9A and it appears that it is milled, drilled and tapped on the receiver already so that would be a drop in solution that would be a bit better than the stock item. Not sure about the hole pattern, though. it looks like the centers are too close for the Willaims but I dont now exactly how far the holes are on center on that sight.

[/IMG]
Last edited by lawndartleo on June 9th, 2012, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2012, 7:05 pm #2

The Williams #64 is the right peep sight for Crosman built Sheridan and Benji rifles. Pyramyd Air has them. I think Crosman stopped carrying them.
For the factory rear sight you can order the parts from Crosman:
1 - 397-027 (sight)
1 - 397-030 (elevation screw)
2 - 397-026 (wedges)

Just call Crosman customer service at 1-800-724-7486 during business hours.

Don't be so quick to try the scout scope. I thought it was weird when I first read about it. Now I wouldn't shoot a Benji or Sheridan without one. Or you could forward mount a better dot sight too.

I plink, therefore I am.

June 9th, 2012, 9:35 pm #3

I've had some cheap old Copperhead red dot on my Sheridan plinker and either the dot wend all out of focus or my eyes have (It's tough to get old) because it is no longer a dot. I was going to put the original rear dovetail sight back on but after a few years I have lost track of the parts.

Not interested in mounting a scope to it because I do not like the ergonomics of pumping the gun with a scope mounted and a long eye relief (pistol) scope is of no interest to me. So, I just want to go back to the old iron sights.

Alternatively, what are anyone's thoughts on the Williams rear sight? My gun is a 1997 or so model C9A and it appears that it is milled, drilled and tapped on the receiver already so that would be a drop in solution that would be a bit better than the stock item. Not sure about the hole pattern, though. it looks like the centers are too close for the Willaims but I dont now exactly how far the holes are on center on that sight.

[/IMG]
Accuracy is fine out to 30 yds or so. Then it's my eyes that give out. Keeping the front sight in focus while "seeing" the target sets up some variables I can't control.

Certain lighting conditions make a peep hard to use as well, but heck, I don't need to take those shots.

On the Benji, peep hole is just far enough away to almost become a halo sight. I'm always impressed how well we work those things out, and there is some interesting math to justify the hole affair. (I won't go there

Anyway, the Williams peep is clean and easy, but I would have liked some adjusters instead of needing to grab a screw driver and use a "Try and see" method for windage.

All in good clean fun!

June 9th, 2012, 10:42 pm #4

[/IMG]
http://www.bryanandac.com/
http://ujays.net/dans4sale.html

Looks like a modern Sheridan...
You could call crosman customer service and order it directly from them if you have the part numbers.
Last edited by slothart on June 9th, 2012, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2012, 1:22 am #5

[/IMG]
i took the rear sight off of both mine. you can have one. if you want it send me an email with your address and i'll get it sent out quickly

btw the williams 64 peep sight is pretty great.

June 10th, 2012, 1:55 am #6

[/IMG]
I am 64 and have a hard tme using the stock sights. I have the Williams peep on both my Sheridans. I remove the screw in aperture so it is more of a "ghost ring". You don't have to focus on the rear. Works great for me. I can't bring myself to scope mine either.