Did a bit more yesterday...

Did a bit more yesterday...

January 22nd, 2011, 7:58 pm #1

Work picked up and so did the surf, so I didn't get much of a chance to work on the project until yesterday.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Not sure why machining the 316L stainless was so imposing a thought. In fact, it was probably the easiest part of this project thus far.

I used this recipe for milling the tube:
Fresh, sharp carbide 4 flute center cutting endmill.
Run the mill at 650 rpm. It's a hand mill so I can only guess that the rate of feed was .5~.75 ips.
Always keep the cutter moving.
Use a good cutting fluid. I used Castrol Moly-Dee. This stuff is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.

I radiused the edges of the trigger frame and then sanded and buffed everything.

There's only a few parts left to make. I found a leftover piece of not quite guitar quality koa for the stock. She should be a looker.

I think she'll be spittin' lead not to long from now.

More to follow.

January 22nd, 2011, 8:59 pm #2

That's going to be a real stunner when you get it finished. Just what you have done so far is truly impressive.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

http://crosmanairgunmods.blogspot.com
http://airgunmods.blogspot.com

January 23rd, 2011, 1:38 am #3

Work picked up and so did the surf, so I didn't get much of a chance to work on the project until yesterday.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Not sure why machining the 316L stainless was so imposing a thought. In fact, it was probably the easiest part of this project thus far.

Run the mill at 650 rpm. It's a hand mill so I can only guess that the rate of feed was .5~.75 ips.
Use a good cutting fluid. I used Castrol Moly-Dee. This stuff is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.

I radiused the edges of the trigger frame and then sanded and buffed everything.

There's only a few parts left to make. I found a leftover piece of not quite guitar quality koa for the stock. She should be a looker.

More to follow.
Anxious to see the finished product!

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com

January 23rd, 2011, 4:06 am #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
Boy, thats going to be a work of art! For Sure! And if you can't hit-um when your done you can just blind-um with all that shine! Great JOB!
Hawaiian
Ratgetter

January 23rd, 2011, 4:20 am #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
can't wait to see the next installment.

regards,

January 23rd, 2011, 8:27 am #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
Will look spectacular.

January 23rd, 2011, 8:35 am #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
Fantastic with great attention to detail.
I can't wait for your next post.
You're going to need a beautiful lump of wood to compliment the gun.
Thanks for the pics.
Ian

January 23rd, 2011, 2:33 pm #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
I would like to ask you somthing off the form.
Great work!

January 23rd, 2011, 11:36 pm #9

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
Jim that's looks so NICE! AWESOME job!

January 24th, 2011, 1:40 am #10

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

More to follow.
that is amazing work Jim.

What dimension is your end plug screw holes from the tube end?

I am hoping it is the angle as it 'appears' to be a bit short
What pressure is your goal?

Thank you so much for sharing your project
Walter....