Desert guns

Desert guns

May 27th, 2012, 5:33 am #1

yea, ok, I love Santa Fe. Today we found an area I could have been shooting in, except I didnt bring anything to shoot.

But, would I have to do anything to the gun to "desert proof" it? Take a page from the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq? Not need to do anything?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

May 27th, 2012, 10:28 am #2

n/t

May 27th, 2012, 2:04 pm #3

yea, ok, I love Santa Fe. Today we found an area I could have been shooting in, except I didnt bring anything to shoot.

But, would I have to do anything to the gun to "desert proof" it? Take a page from the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq? Not need to do anything?

Dan my take would be to say no. After 30 years in the desert southwest, I can honestly say that if the wind isn't blowing, it's no problem. If it's hard enough to be a problem, you don't want to be out there.

Interesting side note: in the late 1800's the US Army experimented with camels around Quartzsite AZ (just north of Yuma). The experiment was ultimately abandoned because the sand there is much coarser than the middle east and hurt the camel's feet.

May 27th, 2012, 4:14 pm #4

May 27th, 2012, 6:00 pm #5

I've been shooting in the desert for the past 12 years now
with springers, rams, Co2's, and pumpers, all shoot with zero
problems. The only thing I do different is only shoot Co2's and
rams in the heat. In extreme heat(100+ degrees) the moly in the springers tend to
"melt" because of the heat and will run past the piston seal causing dieseling.
So to stop this from happening, always put the rifle in the car with the barrel pointing
up when not shooting, and always point the barrel up when cocking the gun.

S.W.A.G. it!

May 27th, 2012, 7:37 pm #6

is there a reason you don't shoot pumpers in the heat, other than the effort involved? nt

May 28th, 2012, 1:49 am #7

the effort involved. In 100+ degree's, the last thing I want to do is pump a
gun up for a shot. I've shot it many times in the past in temps over 100 with
no problems. Pumpers are Spring and Fall guns for me.

S.W.A.G. it!

May 28th, 2012, 2:21 am #8

Ive been rebuilding (well, before I left) my 1377 build off gun as a side pumper. Didnt get it donein time to send it ahead with the mrs. when she left.

Later in the summer or definelty next year Memorial Day weeke end.... Team_Subsonic desert patrol....

May 29th, 2012, 11:08 pm #9

other than a good dustoff afterwards/and the obvious cleaning,never really had any problems. scope lenses get dusted up some.pumpers, co2,spring,np rams, all seem to work normally. im in san diego and alternate between the groves and borrego/anza borrego areas for shooting. i will agree that a pumper on a hot day is a lot of work.

May 30th, 2012, 3:31 pm #10

is there a reason you don't shoot pumpers in the heat, other than the effort involved? nt
seems like a perfect application of an AC build......