Crossman 400 Query !

Crossman 400 Query !

March 2nd, 2011, 7:19 pm #1

Hi all, Bought this recently , It has no magazine & leaks, " Anyone have one " !
I notice when it is cocked on the bolt action, It doesn,t cock the hammer ? Like a Sheridan for example , Is it meant to be manually cocked by pulling back the hammer manually & then working the bolt,

Seems a bit of a waste to do 2, Actions, Its the one with the cast trigger,
Finally, What do you think of them, Its in very good condition " Been lain there for 40 years " Was said ! Thanks, Ged.

March 2nd, 2011, 9:00 pm #2

GED,
I have a CR400, and it's a fun gun a little small for my LOP, but I can spin spinners all day long at 35 yards. Yes you have to pull the cocking lever back to cock it, the bolt just feeds the pellet. Magazines are available from bryanandac.com they also carry reseal kits, and JG Airguns,LLC, they are a little expensive but you have to have one.
Mine is dove tailed for a scope and I use a BKL cantilever #254 scope ring, fits great. Also you will only be able to use wadcutter pellets, any other will jam.
Fred

March 3rd, 2011, 12:04 am #3

I'd sure like to see a pic of your scope set-up on your 400, Fred. I have a first variant 400. It is one of my favorite shooters!

March 3rd, 2011, 12:08 am #4

GED,
I have a CR400, and it's a fun gun a little small for my LOP, but I can spin spinners all day long at 35 yards. Yes you have to pull the cocking lever back to cock it, the bolt just feeds the pellet. Magazines are available from bryanandac.com they also carry reseal kits, and JG Airguns,LLC, they are a little expensive but you have to have one.
Mine is dove tailed for a scope and I use a BKL cantilever #254 scope ring, fits great. Also you will only be able to use wadcutter pellets, any other will jam.
Fred
1 of them has Cross-Bolt Safety, the Other has Cast Trigger assembly !

There's a Man on Gunbroker Who also has the Magazines for these Guns !

His username is Husquevarna(yes Like the Chainsaw or Gun!) He wants $47
each Shipped Go to Airguns ---> then Rifles--->Then Type Crosman & Scroll
down thru about 4 or 5 Pages! as for repairs Check out Rick @ airgunshop@aol.com

Tell Rick Mario Romano sent you!

I got 3 for $110 Shipped!
Last edited by Pumpmeister on March 3rd, 2011, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2011, 12:51 am #5

Hi all, Bought this recently , It has no magazine & leaks, " Anyone have one " !
I notice when it is cocked on the bolt action, It doesn,t cock the hammer ? Like a Sheridan for example , Is it meant to be manually cocked by pulling back the hammer manually & then working the bolt,

Finally, What do you think of them, Its in very good condition " Been lain there for 40 years " Was said ! Thanks, Ged.
Hi Ged,
I have a 400 and it's a great gun. I added a recoil pad to mine to improve the LOP (Pachmar white line, small). I also did flow mods to the valve and installed a 1/4" poly transfer port. Mine will shoot 700 fps with 14.3 pellets (Crosman wadcutters) and 725 ish with Hobbys. Like other Crosman guns in this family (180, 160) the Ron Robinson mounts will allow you to mount a scope. Even thought you need to cycle the bolt and cock it with each shot, you can go through a lot of pellets with the gun. It cycles rounds very fast and is fun to shoot.

Scope mount (Ron Robinson) is pictured on this Crosman 180

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."
Last edited by tripleguy on March 3rd, 2011, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2011, 3:02 am #6

Ron Robinson Mounts? Where can I get those Bill? How did you rig it
to Get a Dovetail on Gun? I'm trying to mount a scope on My 2nd Variant 400 by using existing Rear sight screw holes! Was thinking of a Cantilever mount & High rings just ahead of loading area!

Mario

March 3rd, 2011, 3:59 am #7

Not made any more but I got mine on the classifieds. Put a wanted to buy on the Yellow. They actually clamp onto the barrel. If you look close on the picture, you'll see they clamp on the barrel and the scope is clam-shelled to the top part of the mount. Can't tighten them too hard but they seem to work well if you snug them up. No doevtails were milled into the guns - just using the RR mounts.

March 3rd, 2011, 1:53 pm #8

1 of them has Cross-Bolt Safety, the Other has Cast Trigger assembly !

There's a Man on Gunbroker Who also has the Magazines for these Guns !

His username is Husquevarna(yes Like the Chainsaw or Gun!) He wants $47
each Shipped Go to Airguns ---> then Rifles--->Then Type Crosman & Scroll
down thru about 4 or 5 Pages! as for repairs Check out Rick @ airgunshop@aol.com

Tell Rick Mario Romano sent you!

I got 3 for $110 Shipped!
Hi all, & Thanks for the informative reply,s
However the cost of the magazines are very expensive ( For what they are )

So,I made one, It needs its spring & a couple of other parts to make ( In my view ) A larger easier system.

Pic- Magazine fitted- [/IMG]
Magazine ( Not complete )-[/IMG]

Its only a simple groove to hold the magazine ( This of course impinges on the spring loaded ball ) Which retains it.

This took less than an hour, Now having the right size tools/drill & Knowledge gained I could make 4, an hour !
As I use 5.5 mm H&N lead ball , the magazine could have a bend at 180 deg, & hold 50 balls,
Also, & more importantly , Its an easy mod to make the bolt cock the hammer ! It needs this !
What do you think, Cheers, Ged.

March 3rd, 2011, 3:35 pm #9

Not made any more but I got mine on the classifieds. Put a wanted to buy on the Yellow. They actually clamp onto the barrel. If you look close on the picture, you'll see they clamp on the barrel and the scope is clam-shelled to the top part of the mount. Can't tighten them too hard but they seem to work well if you snug them up. No doevtails were milled into the guns - just using the RR mounts.

They are new and silver email me.

March 3rd, 2011, 7:40 pm #10

not a bite. Nice rigs ( in my mind) shoots very well, able to put food on the table. This one has a custom made mount:

and the factory clip:

John