Crosman Pellgunoil

Crosman Pellgunoil

May 13th, 2008, 2:58 pm #1

I ordered a Crosman 2240 (my first CO2 gun) from the Crosman Custom Shop yesterday. I have a big order of pellets, CO2 powerlets, etc. coming from Pyramyd Air so as to be ready when the pistol gets here. I forgot to order Crosman Pellgunoil when I ordered the pellets and powerlets. I don't want to place another order with Pyramyd Air just now so I'm wondering if there is a substitue oil I can use in place of the Pellgunoil. I downloaded the 2240 Owner's Manual from the Crosman Library and the instructions only mention oil but not Crosman Pellgunoil specifically.

What oil do you guys use to put on the tip of the powerlets and on the bolt "O" ring?

May 13th, 2008, 3:10 pm #2

I think most people use 30 weight NON-DETERGENT motor oil. I've still got some clear silicone(?) oil I got from Ernie the Eyeball that I use when I shoot co2. Then there's Mac1 Secret Sauce, some folks use AT fluid, some use motorcycle fork oil, the list goes on and on. Pellgunoil is WAY, WAY overpriced for what you get. Do a search on the forum for a boatload of results.

Think I'd just get some 30 weight NON-DETERGENT moter oil and try it. Get a nice needle applicator with it too.

Iz

May 13th, 2008, 3:16 pm #3

It is best to stay away from motor oil in air guns. If you have a Big Five in your area they probable will have the pellgun oil .Marvin
Last edited by melloroadman on May 13th, 2008, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 13th, 2008, 3:23 pm #4

Definately stay away from detergent type motor oils. But folks have been using NON DETERGENT motor oils for years. I suppose it also depends on how much you shoot. It's my understanding, though, that NON DETERGENT oils are perfectly compatible with today's seal materials.

I personally refuse to pay Crosman like $600 a quart for their stuff. Might want to check with Ernie to see if he's got any of his stuff still. Been using it for a few years now and haven't had one seal issue with it.

Iz

May 13th, 2008, 4:25 pm #5

... it shouldn't ruin the seals since most modern transmissions use o-rings and they don't fail under high temperatures or pressures while soaked in fluid.

I used it for years and never had problems, just don't use too much a couple of drops every 200 or so shots. Stay AWAY from the WD40, 3in1 oil, and lithium lubricants.

Fidel
Carolina,Puerto Rico
algarin@hotmail.com

May 13th, 2008, 4:27 pm #6

I ordered a Crosman 2240 (my first CO2 gun) from the Crosman Custom Shop yesterday. I have a big order of pellets, CO2 powerlets, etc. coming from Pyramyd Air so as to be ready when the pistol gets here. I forgot to order Crosman Pellgunoil when I ordered the pellets and powerlets. I don't want to place another order with Pyramyd Air just now so I'm wondering if there is a substitue oil I can use in place of the Pellgunoil. I downloaded the 2240 Owner's Manual from the Crosman Library and the instructions only mention oil but not Crosman Pellgunoil specifically.

What oil do you guys use to put on the tip of the powerlets and on the bolt "O" ring?
yes...if you use a LOW pressure compressed air source or CO2 you will be okay using a carbon/petrolium based lubricant. BUT, if you do HPA you are looking for an EXPLOSION not the contoled bang you want. seals and o-ring degradation are a bigger problem on older guns and even some current materials.

shootski

May 13th, 2008, 5:22 pm #7

The reasone for my statement is the same reason gun manufactors stay away from adviseing you to use these produces. It might be ok in this instance and you develope the habit of useing it for a couple of years. Next you buy a different gun and with out thinking about it you use it and something happens that could have been avoided . Its like checking twice not once to make sure the gun is unloaded befor you clean it. Good luck my friend . Marvin

May 13th, 2008, 11:52 pm #8

You guys have been around here for a while and have a lot of knowledge to share. You give it freely and we appreciate that. And I would concur that using petrol based oil is a bad thing for HPA guns. But Ed DID say he just bought a 2240 and wanted to know what he could use to lube co2 carts and bolt o-rings. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is an intelligent person that can understand the warnings posted even on the PA site.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=222

There are many subsitutes for Crosman Pellgun oil that do just as good or better, both petrol and silicone based for non-pcp guns.
Pellgun oil sells for $3 for 1/4 oz. Last I figured it, that works out to $384 a quart, when in this instance a 75 cent quart of non detergent 30 weight oil or AT fluid from the dollar store is just as usable and applicable, and will last for years. With the falling dollar and ungodly increase in pellet prices from Crosman lately I personally refuse and actually can't afford to pay that price for a lube for co2 guns.

Maybe we all need to stop being internet airgun cops, give people a little credit for being smart enough to know the difference and just answer the questions asked, instead of complicating things and scaring people away from this GREAT hobby of ours.

JMHO

Iz

May 14th, 2008, 12:40 am #9

Please take the time to re read what I said and may we all be wise enought to make up our oun minds and not try and up set each others. Have a good day my friend. Marvin
Last edited by melloroadman on May 14th, 2008, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2008, 1:03 am #10

It is best to stay away from motor oil in air guns. If you have a Big Five in your area they probable will have the pellgun oil .Marvin
last I heard, Pellgun oil is 30 wt ND motor oil.