Crosman custom shop, a not so modest suggestion

Crosman custom shop, a not so modest suggestion

September 14th, 2011, 4:40 pm #1

I am as guilty as a lot of other people by thinking that the Green (and Yellow) forums are what the rest of the world expect from airguns. We are on those forums  to get knowledge necessary to wring more performance from what we shoot. A lot of people still theink "Airguns=bb guns/red ryder="you shoot yer eye out kid..."

Recognizing that Crosman (and other vendors) have a market to serve, and that market is much much broader than us elitists gathered on-line.

Having said that, seems to me that Crosman would lose nothing by expanding the custom shop offerings across a wider spectrum of their product line.

Here's my rationale: I buy a new Mrod. first thing I do is swap on a "better" (define that as per your particular needs), tune the trigger, polish the bolt and breech internals, install a weaver/picatinny rail, make stock mods or swap it off altogether etc.  We recognize the platform the Mrod is, see its potential against our individual needs and make the mods to bring those capabilites out.

Why cant Crosman offer a custom shop Mrod thats been gone thru and tweaked/tuned/upgraded? Seems to me that they would then be serving the majority of the market the same way they are now, _and_ serve the more elite portion of shooters who want more out of the crosman offerings, and do this with little or no cost to the company.

Cost more? Absolutley. But not really (relatively speaking). If you order your Mrod, order the parts, pay the shipping, do the mods, tweak and adjust, your simply shifting the cost from the intial purcahse to the added cost of acquiring and installing and tuning the aftermarket parts. So why not just pony up for an Mrod thats been setup that way from the git-go? Semi custom gun, from the factory with a warranty.

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

September 14th, 2011, 6:51 pm #2

760s and recruits , i figure they dont want to open up a whole custom deparment becuae its not lucrative enough in labor time.that leads to outsoursing and your made in america gun being cusstomized in a third world chicom sweat factory , and they the guys in upstate new york are all laid off and forced to go work at the daisy factory
Last edited by robnewyork on September 14th, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2011, 6:59 pm #3

but making an already good product better, according to what a customer's needs are

September 14th, 2011, 7:02 pm #4

i think makin the guns more like a lego kit will help , where weaver and 11mm rails pop on and pop off, and the pistol grip pops right off and a 3 peice plastic ft stck thats made cheaply that can be modd3ed

dont forget pirate insurace for when the third world country has to ship your gun past pirate infested waters.thats an additional 10 bux minumum
Last edited by robnewyork on September 14th, 2011, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2011, 8:14 pm #5

I am as guilty as a lot of other people by thinking that the Green (and Yellow) forums are what the rest of the world expect from airguns. We are on those forums  to get knowledge necessary to wring more performance from what we shoot. A lot of people still theink "Airguns=bb guns/red ryder="you shoot yer eye out kid..."

Recognizing that Crosman (and other vendors) have a market to serve, and that market is much much broader than us elitists gathered on-line.

Having said that, seems to me that Crosman would lose nothing by expanding the custom shop offerings across a wider spectrum of their product line.

Here's my rationale: I buy a new Mrod. first thing I do is swap on a "better" (define that as per your particular needs), tune the trigger, polish the bolt and breech internals, install a weaver/picatinny rail, make stock mods or swap it off altogether etc.  We recognize the platform the Mrod is, see its potential against our individual needs and make the mods to bring those capabilites out.

Why cant Crosman offer a custom shop Mrod thats been gone thru and tweaked/tuned/upgraded? Seems to me that they would then be serving the majority of the market the same way they are now, _and_ serve the more elite portion of shooters who want more out of the crosman offerings, and do this with little or no cost to the company.

Cost more? Absolutley. But not really (relatively speaking). If you order your Mrod, order the parts, pay the shipping, do the mods, tweak and adjust, your simply shifting the cost from the intial purcahse to the added cost of acquiring and installing and tuning the aftermarket parts. So why not just pony up for an Mrod thats been setup that way from the git-go? Semi custom gun, from the factory with a warranty.

So basically what you're asking for is for Crosman to cut out the little tuner guys and deliver a factory warranted gun that is all customized, prepped and ready to go? Just joshin'.

I plink, therefore I am.
Last edited by airgunandy on September 15th, 2011, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2011, 11:06 pm #6

I doubt you'll see a Mrod there anytime soon, but maybe.
Last edited by gmany on September 14th, 2011, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2011, 1:12 pm #7

The Fender Custom Shop is world famous for doing almost anything your little heart desires...for a price. It thrives, it supports itself and it was a welcome addition to the company. So...your idea would probably work.
Or, just have a knowledgable tech at the end of the assembly process who understands barrel cleaning/polishing, leade prep, crowns and trigger adjustments? He/she could test and tweak the gun before it goes in the box...or reject it.
Before anyone says "that would add to the price" look at how many people have passed on the M-Rod because of perceived inconsistencies? That equals something $$$$

Having said that, I believe Crosman's next step might be to jump into the ring with folks like BSA, Daystate and Theoben, that's the PCP market they haven't tapped yet. They have good technology with the "E-Valve" which pretty much emulates a regulator and an electronic valve/trigger with few moving parts. If you put this on an M-Rod along with a sleeker stock, LW barrel, larger tank, bling and full electronics you have a gun that could be sold for around $600 to $700 street price. A BSA Super 10, an R10 or an Air Wolf can't be sent to your door for that price. It's my belief that Crosman/Benjamin could pretty much nail down the adult PCP market with such a gun.

Glenn in Texas

Glenn in Texas

September 15th, 2011, 1:15 pm #8

There are a lot of things in store for the Custom Shop but we first had to get the site redesign completed. We've got a couple other things on our schedule and then you'll see the love coming to the CS.

http://crosman.com
http://twitter.com/crosmancorp
http://facebook.com/crosmancorp

September 15th, 2011, 3:01 pm #9

So basically what you're asking for is for Crosman to cut out the little tuner guys and deliver a factory warranted gun that is all customized, prepped and ready to go? Just joshin'.

I plink, therefore I am.
Consider that Greg Davis' mrod tunig backlog is soooo long, we have stopped talking about him.

Mac1 offers services that crosman probably couldnt offer economically even after passing a considerable portion of it to customer

And even after the Crosman Custom Shop (CCS), you 'd still need to do the things that make it truly unique to you

September 15th, 2011, 3:04 pm #10

There are a lot of things in store for the Custom Shop but we first had to get the site redesign completed. We've got a couple other things on our schedule and then you'll see the love coming to the CS.

http://crosman.com
http://twitter.com/crosmancorp
http://facebook.com/crosmancorp
Can I get CS M417?

(mainly just to piss Rob off.... but it would be cool... ... for pirate defense )