Crosman 760 PowerMaster

Crosman 760 PowerMaster

December 21st, 2010, 12:26 am #1

I received my first air gun on Christmas of 1970 (maybe 69?). I remember it being a Crosman 760 PowerMaster (wood stock and forearm). I vividly remember it as being able to penetrate (BB) two clamped together NC car license plates.... the kind that would rust. A pellet would impact a blister the size of the end my thumb on the same target. I remember this gun having a pump maximum of 20 strokes in the manual. I understand that the inner pump of this early version was made of metal while newer models have plastic pumps.

Has anyone here ever upgraded a new version with a metal pump? I would be interested in the details.

December 21st, 2010, 1:32 am #2

New to me that Crosman is now using PLASTIC! No, I am sure you are mistaken! All the ones I have fooled with, current ones too, the valves are aluminum; used to be all brass; then they went to brass and alumnum; now all aluminum.

The newer variants use a striker valve; older models, your model, use a blow-off style valve; once the gun has pressure from even one pump they become 'live'.

You're good, the current versions are capable of being modifed, just like the 1377.

I think your are referring to the pump rod being plastic - not the valve. You can get a metal pump rod for a 1377 and put it right in the 760 - no isses - same system.

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

December 21st, 2010, 2:05 am #3

I received my first air gun on Christmas of 1970 (maybe 69?). I remember it being a Crosman 760 PowerMaster (wood stock and forearm). I vividly remember it as being able to penetrate (BB) two clamped together NC car license plates.... the kind that would rust. A pellet would impact a blister the size of the end my thumb on the same target. I remember this gun having a pump maximum of 20 strokes in the manual. I understand that the inner pump of this early version was made of metal while newer models have plastic pumps.

Has anyone here ever upgraded a new version with a metal pump? I would be interested in the details.
Wasn't the piston steel in the old ones as well? nt

December 21st, 2010, 2:17 am #4

Thank you for your correction....I think you are right. I am new and don't have the proper parts vocabulary down yet. That's why I am here. Trying to learn so I can do my own mods.

December 21st, 2010, 4:36 am #5

well if you want to learn here's the parts brake down/list for your air gun read it. also the manual says to only pump it up ten times not twenty saying in the manual "Caution additional velocity produced by more than ten pumps is only minor and can cause damage to the pump mechanism which will shorten the life of the rifle." but that never stopped me either I pumped my 1322 until my arm was sore lol

(Copy and past this link auto not working)
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C760SC-EVP & PL.pdf

here's the manual
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C760SC-OM.pdf

December 21st, 2010, 5:17 am #6

delete
Last edited by WildmanMick on December 21st, 2010, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 22nd, 2010, 1:20 pm #7

My father-in-law had one he took apart & couldn't get back together. I inherited it when he died. I wish I would have kept it. I didn't know there were so many people that could fix it. When he couldn't get it back together he bought a new 66 Powermaster. Was the 760 more powerful?

December 23rd, 2010, 2:30 am #8

The 66 uses basically the same action as the 760, but the pump stroke is longer and it uses a longer sleeved barrel. It was rated with a little higher velocity than the 760. Originally all 66's had rifled barrels, but I think most of the last ones made (2008) were smoothbores. A lot of the parts of late model 760's are interchangeable with late model 66's. I had an old plastic framed 66 that I replaced the receiver with one from a late model (clip feed) 760.

I plink, therefore I am.