Crosman 2200 .25 conversion

Crosman 2200 .25 conversion

October 6th, 2011, 4:06 pm #1

I'm about to attempt this conversion (the gun is actually a Model 1!) and would like some input.
I would especially like input from BioHazard, Arathol, and Chevell if he's listening. I loved the how to's that these guys have helped the forum with.

Dafatman31

October 6th, 2011, 4:22 pm #2

...the breech block opening for the barrel is slightly bigger than the soda-straw barrel itself. There is very little meat left if you enlarge the hole for a .25 barrel liner.

For the bolt, remove the breech shield (part that covers up the loading area when closed), it isn't needed. Turn down the faux o-ring that is molded on the bolt probe by using a drill as a lathe and put a light o-ring gland cut on it. Put brass tube over the probe (I found some the same I.D. as the O.D. of the probe), put o-ring on, and brass tube the probe tip. This makes the probe seal, and also makes the probe very strong/rigid.

I've done a .25 cal...

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

October 6th, 2011, 5:49 pm #3

nt

Dafatman31

October 6th, 2011, 6:24 pm #4

I was getting, with 24 grain round ball, 520 fps on 15 pumps. After finiding the smallest of small liner was still too big in diameter, decided to go with stainless tube as a smooth bore. Accuracy was not an issue at all. Tried a few .25 cal pellets too. Round ball was the best due to the smooth bore I think. You will need to enlarge the cast breech block hole to allow for .25 cal ammo. I used a pastic set screw instead of metal to prevent denting the new thin walled stainless 'barrel'.

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

October 6th, 2011, 7:39 pm #5

you could have makde that steel barrel a smoothtwist? ! that would have been cool with minimal velocity loss.

October 6th, 2011, 7:54 pm #6

...but the steel is so thin walled to work with, thought it may not even work (?). kinda' on a whim with the .25 cal idea.

One big issue with .25 cal is the valve volume to barrel volume ratio. Seems once over .22 cal the fps efficiency really dumps off. However, with a 1377 valve dropped in (which requires a shorter piston, but still a longer stroke than a 1377 in the end) things pan out better.

A more doable alternative is to use a .25 cal liner and make a custom breech end to work.

October 6th, 2011, 8:02 pm #7

i think green mountain or one other website have "gunsmith barrels " for 30 bux , its rifled , but otherwise just a tube with no crown , choke or any cleanup or blueing at all.

October 8th, 2011, 3:49 am #8

I'm about to attempt this conversion (the gun is actually a Model 1!) and would like some input.
I would especially like input from BioHazard, Arathol, and Chevell if he's listening. I loved the how to's that these guys have helped the forum with.

Dafatman31
Sam ,
A year or so ago a gentle man posted his results with a converted 2200 , I believe he was using it to hunt iguanas in mexico, I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

Eric in San Diego

October 8th, 2011, 4:08 am #9

Dafatman31
Sam Heres a couple of posts from Hecot Medina , I thought it was just a year or so ago , more like six , DOH!!Anyway here the are . The pics didnt come through but you can find the on the yellow.

Eric in San Diego

Gun was made by Jeff Wolgast
December 14 2005 at 2:49 PM Héctor Medina (Login HectorMedina)
YF

Response to .25 /2200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An Old Indian Trick (work in progress)
December 13 2005 at 10:50 PM Héctor Medina (Login HectorMedina)
YF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean the trick from an old Indian? or an Old Trick from an Indian?
Well, it really does not matter. LOL!

I happen to like very much my 0.25" cal Crosman 2200, but one of the things that can create havoc in a hunt is the noise; and this gun's "stock" can make a LOT of noise. It is hollow and plastic. So walking through the thorns/brambles can really make some noise. ¿Did I mention that the butt can make NOISE?

I am going hunting to the Puebla/Oaxaca border for Iguanas and if there is one thing deaf reptiles are good at is "hearing" vibrations. So something had to be done.

Here is a picture of my work in progress:

The butt is simply covered in car drying Chamois. Right now the chamois is natural colored, just as it came from the car accessory department of our local dept. store. On sale, car drying chamois costs about US$4.50 per "sheet" and there is enough material to do two butts per sheet.
You simply fit the chamois from the pistol grip rearward by sewing on the bottom:

Of course you should sew straighter than I, but hey, it's a work in progress!

And when you get to the buttpad area, you can overlay two sections of leather, sew on the side of the buttpad and get an antislip surface:

Chamois is very very stretchable, so you can follow the shape of the butt very closely:

This is not a new idea, there is a long tradition of leather covered butts in airgun history, usually to cover air reservoirs.

I will most probably dye the chamois dark brown or something like that, I really do not care for such a light color.

In case anyone is wondering why dedicate so much effort to a Crosman, this target will tell you why:

It is not a group, it is a collection of 6 "one shot groups" at each of the following distances: 6, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 meters from different field positions: offhand to FT-sitting passing by leaning hand against a tree. In the jungle I doubt I will get a closer than 6 nor longer than 30 meters shot and a 0.25" cal. hole will hopefully put down the iguanas well. Someone here asked before the weekend if the 0.25" cal was inherently inaccurate. Well, I guess I can say it is not.

Un Abrazo!

Héctor

Jeff has made several guns for me. One I still have, others have been passed along to friends. Jeff made a 2175 and a 2275 (0.177" and 0.22" caliber conmmemorative editions respectively) for me. The first won the FT Nationals two years in a row. It was replaced (as a shooter) by the Steyr LG-100 FT. It now resides with a Crosman collector. Easily the best shooting 0.177" american made gun I have seen, shot or used. The second was a great hunting gun but I felt it lacked the punch for really large pigeons, it was also sold as a cased set with the 2175.

So we embarked with Mike Pearson (another of my American Compadres) and Jeff in the making of another pair of guns. I ordered the barrel blanks from Tim (sort of "underwrote" the effort, partially) and had them sent to Jeff. Jeff decided to make several more, I think 4 X 0.25" cal. rifles were made. I ordered also a rifle in 0.20" cal. just to have tested the complete set.

Because there were no more 75 years conmemorative versions, we settled on the standard 2200 platform (which is why I never suspected the noise factor would be such a nuisance).

The guns were made by Jeff solving very interesting problems, like the front pump hinge is not the one usually found, or the bolt probe needed to be worked UP (not down as is usual), the barrel shank suddenly was smaller than the bore! and so on. But Jeff pulled it off nicely with very very very little help or input. Jeff is truly a Master at Crosman Pump guns.

In any event, the 0.20" cal was good, real good!, it would hit an aspirin out at 50 meters, but I really had no use for a 0.20" pump gun with a 0.20" cal. barrel on the Steyr, so I also sold it and is now in the hands of the father of a friend; and they go out often and shoot together.

This 0.25" cal. one is my keeper! It fulfills a very precise shooting need (to shoot indoors and at close ranges at BIG, STRONG birds) and I will put it to the test with Iguanas this weekend.

If you want to reach Jeff (I really do not know if he is still doing this kind of work, or not) perhaps you can reach him at

Northern Precision Airguns
1161 Grove Ave.
Tawas City. MI 48763

Sorry, no E-Mail I know of or phone number I would dare give away.

Write to him and get a gun like this one. You will NOT be disappointed.

Un Abrazo!

Héctor