crosman 147 reseal

crosman 147 reseal

January 2nd, 2011, 9:34 am #1

Happy new year to all. I am a newbie to air rifles and need some guidance. I have a crosman 147 that I enjoyed as a child and well into my teen years. My son is almost eight, and I want him to enjoy this rifle as he grows. I have the rifle pretty well apart and I have a reseal kit for it. I feel confident that I can get it back together, but am uncertain about some things. Is there anywhere I can get my paws on a detailed print that shows the proper way to put it back together? I've seen the one on the crosman website, but it is too grainy for fine details. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jon

January 2nd, 2011, 4:48 pm #2

Check out Nick Carter's blog on the subject - pages 121-125.
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2 ... index.html

Pay special attention to the quad seal inside of the blow off portion of the valve. That's probably the most critical in getting the gun to work again.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

January 3rd, 2011, 10:09 am #3

Thank you for the link, it is very helpful. I really like all the pics. Another member e mailed a detailed diagram of the innards, and that is helpful as well. I have a couple of novice questions, though. I have no clue what the quad seal is and when I took the whole thing apart, there were two sear springs intertwined. The diagram and the pics only show one spring. Was this a modification to make the rifle more powerful, or just an old rebuild mistake? Jon

January 3rd, 2011, 6:24 pm #4

I can't tell you about the spring deal but a quad seal is a flat rubber ring . For me, the original seal didn't look anything like the new one in the kit. In fact, it was so worn out that I had to clean up the inside just to realize the black part used to be the quad seal. HTH

January 3rd, 2011, 10:52 pm #5

Happy new year to all. I am a newbie to air rifles and need some guidance. I have a crosman 147 that I enjoyed as a child and well into my teen years. My son is almost eight, and I want him to enjoy this rifle as he grows. I have the rifle pretty well apart and I have a reseal kit for it. I feel confident that I can get it back together, but am uncertain about some things. Is there anywhere I can get my paws on a detailed print that shows the proper way to put it back together? I've seen the one on the crosman website, but it is too grainy for fine details. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jon
that holds the valve closed. Look at the top of the trigger where it engages the round part, is there a U shaped groove worn in the top of the trigger? If not you only need one spring, if there is a groove worn it, you need a new trigger. Also completely disassemble and clean the trigger parts, the parts can be very gummy sometimes and prevent the trigger from engaging. hth.

January 4th, 2011, 1:48 am #6

I can't tell you about the spring deal but a quad seal is a flat rubber ring . For me, the original seal didn't look anything like the new one in the kit. In fact, it was so worn out that I had to clean up the inside just to realize the black part used to be the quad seal. HTH
Hi to Sue & all

This Flat Seal has a groove in it Facing Muzzle end Before installing new one Use a dental pic to get out old one being extremely careful not to damage metal disc above seal & just beneath where Brass of blow off valve is crimped over this! Meaning dont pry at it with small screwdriver! If this breaks ,you'll need a new one!

Onece old seal is taken out & Blow off valve is clean, take th dental pick with new seal, ad gently tuck it under that silver disc I mentioned earlier add a drop or 2 of Pellgunoil...
Voila!

you've done it!

Mario

January 4th, 2011, 2:05 am #7

This page of Nick's blog - a model 147, you can see the 2 seals on the blow off portion of the valve (he calls it the valve cap). The outer seal and the inner, quad seal. I roll them back in with a blunt toothpick so as not to tear them up or puncture them.
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/s ... 20147%20bp

I'm assuming you don't have a die cast trigger - just a one piece blade and sear. One spring is standard. If there are 2 there, the sear may not have been holding. Check trigger for wear and replace if it doesn't hold with one spring.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."
Last edited by tripleguy on January 4th, 2011, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2011, 8:34 pm #8

I wanted to thank all of you that guided me on the 147 reseal. The rifle shoots just as well as I remember, and maybe a little better. My son loves to shoot his "new" air rifle. One of these days I might let him loose with it by himself. Seems like 10 pumps on the new seals are every bit as strong as 20 pumps used to be, in fact I don't want to pump it 20 times because I don't think I can! I'm really appreciative of all the pointers Bill. Yall take care now, Jon.