crosman 1400 project finally done

crosman 1400 project finally done

April 21st, 2012, 6:34 pm #1

Well I no longer see the sights as well as I used to. So I decided to scope my 1400 back yard fun gun.
1400 runs great and shoots crosman HP and RWS field points well. As with almost all pellet guns the scopes are to high. Added a adjustable comb kit and recoild pad. Scope is a leapers 4x with mildot style reticle. Extra stock was scored on ebay for 15.00 shipped. It matched up pretty good to the original pump arm wood. [/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Last edited by mac1911 on April 21st, 2012, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2012, 7:04 pm #2

awesome! love refreshing the oldies..nt

April 21st, 2012, 7:05 pm #3

Well I no longer see the sights as well as I used to. So I decided to scope my 1400 back yard fun gun.
1400 runs great and shoots crosman HP and RWS field points well. As with almost all pellet guns the scopes are to high. Added a adjustable comb kit and recoild pad. Scope is a leapers 4x with mildot style reticle. Extra stock was scored on ebay for 15.00 shipped. It matched up pretty good to the original pump arm wood. [/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
by the way the grain on the butt of the stock is great looking, good score.nt

April 21st, 2012, 8:01 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I am curious to know what kind of numbers do you get with it?

April 22nd, 2012, 1:34 am #5

I think alot of people would be shocked @ how nice the grain is under some of the older 50s 60s 70s firearms in general. The more affordable manufactures all seem to put this blah brownish paint/stain over the wood. I have stripped many marlin model 60s and sears branded 22s only to find great looking wood.

This 1400 is not a hard hitting unit. Last time I crony'd it with Crosman Premeir hollow points (memory) @ 14.5 grains ? it was getting 550s on 5 pumps and would top out at 650 to 660 on 8 pumps. Trigger pull is absolutely horrible on 8 pumps.

I ue 3 pumps for fun plinking and paper. 5 pumps for the spinners @ 25 and 35 yards. it does well with pest control inside 25 yards. about the longest safest shot in my yard. Im just getting used to the scope.

Was hitting paintballs atop of golf Ts @ 35 yards with 5 pumps just resting the gun across a chair seat sitting on the ground...This 1400 has always been very accurate and easily pulls of dime size 5 shot groups with JSB match off the rest @ 25 yards no wind.
Last edited by mac1911 on April 22nd, 2012, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 22nd, 2012, 4:06 am #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
this is a old sears branded High Standard 22...I think its a model 29 drawing a blank on the model #
It was well rusty and the wood was covered in a nasty brown paint/stain you could not see any grain at first. Although not high end wood by any means I found this much better yo look at than the dull brown/redish gunk that covered this poor little shooter....I topped this of with a period scope.

April 22nd, 2012, 3:26 pm #7

"This 1400 is not a hard hitting unit. Last time I crony'd it with Crosman Premeir hollow points (memory) @ 14.5 grains ? it was getting 550s on 5 pumps and would top out at 650 to 660 on 8 pumps. Trigger pull is absolutely horrible on 8 pumps".

You can use up to 10 pumps without suffering excessive wear if you only need it for hunting. Throughout the course of the production life of the 140/1400 series the max number of pumps recommended varied from 6 to 10----without any internal changes to account for the difference. I've used 10 pumps for the power needed to put down game for many decades without damage.

Since the valve design doesn't conveniently lend itself to easy power modifications I have concentrated over my long romance with the pop-off valve guns on eliminating losses as the best way to increase power. 'Blueprinting' if you will. Basically the same process as tuning a springer with the stock parts. And there's a LOT to be gained by simply eliminating losses all the way from the face of the pump cup to the skirt of the pellet.

A freshly rebuilt and blueprinted 1400 virtually always creeps into the 700s with the standard Crosman 14.3 Premiers. It puts out almost the exact same energy as an R-9, RWS M-34 or a BSA SuperSport. It's been doing it for a lot longer than those specific iconic springers have been around too. And despite all of the outright lies told us by the snake-oil salesmen peddling springers since the '70s the domestic MSP has much more consistency than springers---both in velocity and shot cycle.

While the springer must be coddled, stroked and persuaded like seducing a nervous virgin to shoot accurately the pumpers willingly co-operate without striking like an irritated serpent. They define 'user-friendly'.

The triggers can be made quite livable if you're willing to invest the time. It'll never be mistaken for a target trigger but it can be incredibly crisp and entirely adequate for a field gun. I've long thought that it would be feasible to design a new sear for one of the multi-link Crosman triggers to adapt it for use on the 1400s but have never pursued the concept. I'd like to see one of the trigger gurus do so while I'm still vertical.

I wish I could post pics.

And that's the view from the Bluff this morning. Tom

April 23rd, 2012, 2:14 am #8

I think alot of people would be shocked @ how nice the grain is under some of the older 50s 60s 70s firearms in general. The more affordable manufactures all seem to put this blah brownish paint/stain over the wood. I have stripped many marlin model 60s and sears branded 22s only to find great looking wood.

This 1400 is not a hard hitting unit. Last time I crony'd it with Crosman Premeir hollow points (memory) @ 14.5 grains ? it was getting 550s on 5 pumps and would top out at 650 to 660 on 8 pumps. Trigger pull is absolutely horrible on 8 pumps.

I ue 3 pumps for fun plinking and paper. 5 pumps for the spinners @ 25 and 35 yards. it does well with pest control inside 25 yards. about the longest safest shot in my yard. Im just getting used to the scope.

Was hitting paintballs atop of golf Ts @ 35 yards with 5 pumps just resting the gun across a chair seat sitting on the ground...This 1400 has always been very accurate and easily pulls of dime size 5 shot groups with JSB match off the rest @ 25 yards no wind.
I think those are some respectable numbers from that powerplant. Paint balls
everywhere should fear the 1400. lol. Again great job on your prodject...

Cheers

April 24th, 2012, 1:31 am #9

"This 1400 is not a hard hitting unit. Last time I crony'd it with Crosman Premeir hollow points (memory) @ 14.5 grains ? it was getting 550s on 5 pumps and would top out at 650 to 660 on 8 pumps. Trigger pull is absolutely horrible on 8 pumps".

You can use up to 10 pumps without suffering excessive wear if you only need it for hunting. Throughout the course of the production life of the 140/1400 series the max number of pumps recommended varied from 6 to 10----without any internal changes to account for the difference. I've used 10 pumps for the power needed to put down game for many decades without damage.

Since the valve design doesn't conveniently lend itself to easy power modifications I have concentrated over my long romance with the pop-off valve guns on eliminating losses as the best way to increase power. 'Blueprinting' if you will. Basically the same process as tuning a springer with the stock parts. And there's a LOT to be gained by simply eliminating losses all the way from the face of the pump cup to the skirt of the pellet.

A freshly rebuilt and blueprinted 1400 virtually always creeps into the 700s with the standard Crosman 14.3 Premiers. It puts out almost the exact same energy as an R-9, RWS M-34 or a BSA SuperSport. It's been doing it for a lot longer than those specific iconic springers have been around too. And despite all of the outright lies told us by the snake-oil salesmen peddling springers since the '70s the domestic MSP has much more consistency than springers---both in velocity and shot cycle.

While the springer must be coddled, stroked and persuaded like seducing a nervous virgin to shoot accurately the pumpers willingly co-operate without striking like an irritated serpent. They define 'user-friendly'.

The triggers can be made quite livable if you're willing to invest the time. It'll never be mistaken for a target trigger but it can be incredibly crisp and entirely adequate for a field gun. I've long thought that it would be feasible to design a new sear for one of the multi-link Crosman triggers to adapt it for use on the 1400s but have never pursued the concept. I'd like to see one of the trigger gurus do so while I'm still vertical.

I wish I could post pics.

And that's the view from the Bluff this morning. Tom
New seals, a properly adjusted pump piston and a poly transfer port will get the gun into the low 700s with 14.3 pellets. Trigger with 10 pumps wil be firm, but careful stoning can get it crisp. I've played around with changing out springs on them too.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

April 24th, 2012, 7:31 pm #10

Nice 140, I have a 4th variant 140 that I resealed and did the poly port valve mod. on ten pumps I am just at 700fps average is 680s. I dont bother with 10 pumps as its not worth the effort for the plinking I do with them.
The 1400 pictured in OP, even with the reseal & port mod job done by A&B a few years ago still not that great on ten pumps.....but thats ok. When I want to reach out and touch something to nock it down for good I use the benjamin discovery