cat as retriever

cat as retriever

May 28th, 2012, 3:01 am #1

I shot a young squirrel a hour before dark tonight that was raiding my peach tree. He hit the ground still doing a death dance and out of no where comes cat and she pounced on him. It is now on my porch with the neck gone and head hanging by a string. Wish I could train the cat to sit out there and get them when I am not looking. I'll go toss him out on the road for the neighbors dog to roll in later on tonight. Training a cat though is like pushing a rope up. I been over looking that B26-2 in .22 for a long time. It is a lot smoother than my rws45 and thumps my shoulder a bit harder.

May 28th, 2012, 4:04 am #2

what, no video?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

May 28th, 2012, 10:23 am #3

I shot a young squirrel a hour before dark tonight that was raiding my peach tree. He hit the ground still doing a death dance and out of no where comes cat and she pounced on him. It is now on my porch with the neck gone and head hanging by a string. Wish I could train the cat to sit out there and get them when I am not looking. I'll go toss him out on the road for the neighbors dog to roll in later on tonight. Training a cat though is like pushing a rope up. I been over looking that B26-2 in .22 for a long time. It is a lot smoother than my rws45 and thumps my shoulder a bit harder.
seed falls on the ground. I came home from work one evening to find 3 cardinals and 3 doves strewn across the floor. Hunts, retrieves and brings them in the house!

May 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm #4

mudhole in anything that he takes a mind to.

Once caught him trying to sneak up on some DEER in the backyard. One of the few times I prayed to my Dear Lord, "Oh please God, let him get close enough....." Would have been a sight, ole Oscar hanging on by claw and fang while that deer bucked like a Brahama.

He hunts like no other, and the only reasons I dont take him out with me are
1) he does not do too well on the ATV
2) after about 10 min of "no action" he would rather come over and be rubbed.

But in the yard, when we have problem birds, when I set up, he will nearly always set up away from me about 20 yds, in a very hidden spot and wait. I rarely have to follow up shot, even if I make a bad shot, he is on them like white on rice once they are hit.
Weird, even though he that far away, he knows which one I am gonna get if there are multiple problem birds around the yard.

If I could get kind of hunting sense from the dog, man, would I have it made.

We (whole family) sometimes take walks in the evenings. Oscar walks right along with us, almost like the dog, cept the dog has to be on a leash.

When the kids are out playing, he follows them around, and then plops down where they are. I guess he is "watching over them"
He has ELIMINATED the mice long ago, and always brings them up to show them. He has been bitten 2X by some type of snake (vets assessment). He watches over the house and yard ~2.5 acres with impunity, and is the most loving cat I have ever been around.

I am allergic to cats, and really have never cared for them anyway. But he is by far one of the best pets I have had in my life. He is starting to show some age, and I will be saddened when he passes.

Quite the hunting companion. Please don't tell my friends, they already give me a hard time for hunting with air rifles........if they found out my "dog" was a cat....Id really be in for it!!!

God bless, and thanks for sharing.

Farmer

May 28th, 2012, 8:43 pm #5

Farmer, I've had about fifty cats as pets in my time in the country, I have had ONE that smart, smart, loving, gentle with the kids, excellant hunter, and his first love?? picking fights, the dog walked around him for ten years, he was the boss. enjoy him, there probably won't be any more like him!! Dave.

May 28th, 2012, 8:45 pm #6

Once caught him trying to sneak up on some DEER in the backyard. One of the few times I prayed to my Dear Lord, "Oh please God, let him get close enough....." Would have been a sight, ole Oscar hanging on by claw and fang while that deer bucked like a Brahama.

But in the yard, when we have problem birds, when I set up, he will nearly always set up away from me about 20 yds, in a very hidden spot and wait. I rarely have to follow up shot, even if I make a bad shot, he is on them like white on rice once they are hit.
Weird, even though he that far away, he knows which one I am gonna get if there are multiple problem birds around the yard.

We (whole family) sometimes take walks in the evenings. Oscar walks right along with us, almost like the dog, cept the dog has to be on a leash.

When the kids are out playing, he follows them around, and then plops down where they are. I guess he is "watching over them"
He has ELIMINATED the mice long ago, and always brings them up to show them. He has been bitten 2X by some type of snake (vets assessment). He watches over the house and yard ~2.5 acres with impunity, and is the most loving cat I have ever been around.

I am allergic to cats, and really have never cared for them anyway. But he is by far one of the best pets I have had in my life. He is starting to show some age, and I will be saddened when he passes.

Quite the hunting companion. Please don't tell my friends, they already give me a hard time for hunting with air rifles........if they found out my "dog" was a cat....Id really be in for it!!!

Farmer
Farmer, I've had about fifty cats as pets in my time in the country, I have had ONE that smart, smart, loving, gentle with the kids, excellant hunter, and his first love?? picking fights, the dog walked around him for ten years, he was the boss. enjoy him, there probably won't be any more like him!! Dave.

May 29th, 2012, 1:20 am #7

Had a calico as a kid on the farm. She would take a live rat over a pound of hamburger anytime. She didn't retrieve but would go pheasant hunting with us.

May 29th, 2012, 2:07 am #8

We've got three cats, one of them a 26# Bengal. There isn't anything of any consequence living within 50 yrds of the house. Even our pitbull avoids that cat....

May 29th, 2012, 7:47 pm #9

20+ years ago my step-daughter was working several part-time jobs to finish her masters degree. One as a horse wrangler at a dude ranch on weekends. One Sunday night she came home from the ranch with a tabby kitten by one of the barn cats. After she finished her degree she moved to an apmt. for a couple of years before buying a home. Yep---the cat stayed with us until then. But since I'm highly allergic to cats it became an 'outside' cat.

Shortly thereafter I declared war on the Blue Jays and Grackles. The Jays because in our older residential neighborhood with a virtual forest of mature trees they were bullies at the birdfeeder and egg raiders of other nesting birds.

The Grackles because there was a huge Mulberry in the neighbors yard just across the alley and the Grackles liked to pause there for an evening snack before proceeding to a huge roost a half mile away. But before heading out they flew into the branches of the big trees shading my patio to evacuate the mulberrys from their bowels.
Until you've 'enjoyed' what that will do to a patio you haven't lived!

The cat soon figured out the implications of seeing me with an air rifle in hand and I think she could sense me gently sliding the patio door aside far enough to stick a barrel thru it halfway down the block.

She sat and 'marked' better than most Labs. If a bird fell in the alley or the neighbors yard it wasn't there for more than a few seconds before she retrieved it. With one exception. She wouldn't touch a Blue Jay after picking up the first one. I'll swear that cat spit to get the taste out for 15 minutes!

She would eat the Starlings----and the Grackles too if that was the only thing on her menu but she LOVED the HOSPs!

She eventually would come to the patio and meow loudly and make other strange vocalizations to tell me that there were HOSPs present and she wanted her dinner.

No----you can't train a cat----but they can train you.'o) Tom

May 29th, 2012, 7:49 pm #10

Farmer
Farmer! Don't worry ... your secret is safe with me :D

Jeff