Can I ?

Can I ?

January 6th, 2012, 1:52 am #1

I'm just sitting here mounting a scope and Loctiting all screws on a heavy springer and realized, why can't I put tiny black lock washers on the four hex head screws for the dovetail mount/rings? If this doesn't effect the accuracy over time, why don't the ring/scope/gun manufacturers just include it? Cheap? Or in business terms "Cost effective? lol

January 6th, 2012, 2:01 am #2

so the best solution is a scope stop in most cases, or put 4 rings on it , been there done that

January 6th, 2012, 2:11 am #3

I have a scope stop but the base screws work loose.I'm thinking Loctite and lock washers.

January 6th, 2012, 2:27 am #4

i see , i did red locktite on mine for qb57

January 6th, 2012, 3:25 am #5

I'm just sitting here mounting a scope and Loctiting all screws on a heavy springer and realized, why can't I put tiny black lock washers on the four hex head screws for the dovetail mount/rings? If this doesn't effect the accuracy over time, why don't the ring/scope/gun manufacturers just include it? Cheap? Or in business terms "Cost effective? lol
when lock washers are used on aluminum, you need to put a thin flat steel washer under them.

Locktite, or better yet, vibratite in the "chapstick" type tube is plenty, and a much better solution, but wont keep the rail from slipping. Use the trick the magnum pistol shooters use, a tiny smear of valve lapping compound in the bottom of the groove, under the mount jaws. It keys the metal parts together.

January 6th, 2012, 7:24 am #6

Ahhh,Don't want it to eat my aluminum.I figure I can Go flat washer,lock washer,screw.The flat washer will prevent damage from the lock washer. Thanks for the tip! Kewl.

January 6th, 2012, 3:43 pm #7

when lock washers are used on aluminum, you need to put a thin flat steel washer under them.

Locktite, or better yet, vibratite in the "chapstick" type tube is plenty, and a much better solution, but wont keep the rail from slipping. Use the trick the magnum pistol shooters use, a tiny smear of valve lapping compound in the bottom of the groove, under the mount jaws. It keys the metal parts together.
so the grit acts like a 'grip tape" between the two surfaces?

Medium or Fine compound?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

January 7th, 2012, 2:24 am #8

the grit embeds in both parts and keys them together. The best part is that if there is a bit of slip, instead of going all loose like locktite in the grove, and being a bitsh to clean up, the grit bites again, and if you need to remove it, a Q-tip does the job.

January 9th, 2012, 1:22 am #9

great tip!

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic