broken benjamin front sight

broken benjamin front sight

February 17th, 2012, 1:40 am #1

so my benjamin 397 fell of the gun rack and snapped the tip of of the front sight. now it shoots way high. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? i still have the missing piece but i don't think soldering it back on would work very good.

February 17th, 2012, 1:55 am #2

..where it broke, just a clean break, epoxy will work just fine.

Or, you can file where it broke flat, then solder or epoxy a piece of flat stock on. You then can file it to shape.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

lhd

February 17th, 2012, 2:07 am #3

so my benjamin 397 fell of the gun rack and snapped the tip of of the front sight. now it shoots way high. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? i still have the missing piece but i don't think soldering it back on would work very good.
Straighten it out, solder it on.

February 17th, 2012, 3:59 am #4

..where it broke, just a clean break, epoxy will work just fine.

Or, you can file where it broke flat, then solder or epoxy a piece of flat stock on. You then can file it to shape.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
or glue on a shotgun bead, red (naturally) fiber optic

Dont think of it as a broken part, think of it as a chance to customize

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

February 18th, 2012, 4:44 am #5

IF all else fails, make a new front sight. Can be a fix for a broken front sight, or a way to put on a taller front sight (often needed for peep sight use).

Ground down the busted stump of the front sight to a level base.
Slotted the base (be careful NOT to slot too deep).
Cleaned up the slot with needle files.
Filed out a sight blank from brass stock.
Fitted it to the slot.
Low temp soldered it in place.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

#1. Most of use have a bunch of old keys in a drawer someplace....keys we've kept for years with no idea what they fit. Many of them are made from brass and many have a large enough flat are on the head to cut out a sight.

#2. the tighter the fit of the sight to the slot, the better the solder bond will be.

#3. Best to wrap the gun in wet rags, just leaving the sight base exposed...use low temp solder...and work fast to keep from cooking the paint finish on today's 39X's too badly. For this use, Tix solder really does work best (mostly because of its low 275F melting point.)
http://www.micromark.com/tix-solder-pkg ... ,6707.html

#4. Best way to solder would be to color everything around the slot you cut with pencil (which is graphite...and any solder over flow ill just bead up and is easy to clean off). tin the base of the sight and the inside of the slot. Once tinned, fit them as well as you can...quickly heat until the solder melts and the sight slips into the slot.

February 19th, 2012, 11:20 pm #6

alright i guess i could try soldering. i tried to get pictures but all the hosting sites want you to sign up. has anyone seen a sight that many you could tap on?