Box ( er.... plastic shrink ) stock 2240 ?

Box ( er.... plastic shrink ) stock 2240 ?

April 29th, 2012, 10:12 pm #1

Came with a ridiculously rough trigger, so the first hour I was already modifying that.
Probably blew the warranty ?

Anyhow, with absolutely no "power mods" and shooting Crosman Premier 14.3 grain pellets, an acoustical cronograph shows an average of around 317 feet per second.
I've seen a high of 388, and a low of 241 ( usually the first shot ) but never anything close to the advertised claimed 460.

Is there some ultra-light pellet that does produce 460, or have I got a defective piece ?

Should also note that the first powerlet took six shots to pierce, and the second ( the one in it now ) took an astounding 46 shots to pierce the powerlet.

It seems to me that something's rotten in Denmark, but I could be wrong.
What's your experience with a stock 2240 and Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum pellets on a 70 degree spring day ?

This gun is also surprisingly quiet compared to the reviews. ( a not unpleasant surprise )

Thanks....

April 29th, 2012, 11:07 pm #2

to tight. the cap should only be hand tighten , not gorilla tighten. doing that only compresses the valve seal and restricts air flow, and will keep the valve piercing stem from piercing the cart as well.

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal

April 30th, 2012, 12:10 am #3

Actually, "finger" tight.
After it's pierced, back it off until it starts to leak, then tighten 1/4 turn.
Pretty much back where it started.
( but I am hoping for something simple like that )

April 30th, 2012, 2:17 am #4

Came with a ridiculously rough trigger, so the first hour I was already modifying that.

Anyhow, with absolutely no "power mods" and shooting Crosman Premier 14.3 grain pellets, an acoustical cronograph shows an average of around 317 feet per second.
I've seen a high of 388, and a low of 241 ( usually the first shot ) but never anything close to the advertised claimed 460.

Is there some ultra-light pellet that does produce 460, or have I got a defective piece ?

Should also note that the first powerlet took six shots to pierce, and the second ( the one in it now ) took an astounding 46 shots to pierce the powerlet.

What's your experience with a stock 2240 and Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum pellets on a 70 degree spring day ?

This gun is also surprisingly quiet compared to the reviews. ( a not unpleasant surprise )

Thanks....
...you've gotta start suspecting a weak hammer spring, or a hammer that's dragging on something. It could cause both problems.

Glenn in Texas
Last edited by SeeOhTwo on April 30th, 2012, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2012, 12:20 pm #5

Interesting. Something I had not considered, yet.
Well, the hammer is not dragging. Of that I am certain.
The spring, on the other hand, I have no idea.
I'm gonna start another thread about springs, but for this case, what would help
( all of us who tinker ) would be some "standard" data.
By that I mean what is the standard spring pressure on a working as advertised STOCK unmodified 2240 ?
In race cars, "on seat" pressure was a common way to quantify valve springs.
On-seat means with the spring installed as it normally works, measured at it's longest extension in place. How much pressure does it take to just barely unseat the valve ? Or, easily done with a valve spring in an engine, to measure the exact length of the spring installed, with the valve fully closed, and then remove the spring and measure the pressure required to compress the spring to exactly the same dimension.
In this case, I would ask anyone who cares to contribute ( which I would appreciate ) to measure their hammer spring.
Since it would be difficult to measure the exact compressed length of the hammer spring installed inside the gun, I would suggest the way to measure ( apples to apples ) would be to remove the retaining screws from the end plug, stand that plug on a baby scale, ( the old style analog spring scale, with the baby tray and the large round dial ranging from zero to about 20 pounds ) or a postage scale if it has sufficient range, with sufficient pressure, to the point the plug JUST starts to move out of the tube, and both with the gun fully cocked, and de-cocked. Measuring either would be fine for my purpose, but measuring both could have some value to anyone with a power adjuster, since they would then know the limits of that adjuster.
The important thing would be that we all do it in exactly the same way for a valid comparison.
I'll be measuring mine shortly. I suppose it's possible that Crosman accidentally gave me a hammer spring from some other version of the gun, such as the Silhouette.

THANKS !!

April 30th, 2012, 2:55 pm #6

If you are certain it is accurate, there is enough information on this forum about this gun to resolve any problem without testing everything.

I have never owned a bubble pack stock pistol, so I would suggest a search for out of the package velocities that others get with a variety of pellets.

April 30th, 2012, 6:20 pm #7

Thanks....
that I did a while back when I was first testing the first Pro-Top. The strings were done at about 62deg's F.
As you can see I used a brand new bubble packed 2240, and RWS Hobby pellets which are fairly light. Your numbers look a bit slow. Try putting some shots across the Chrony and jerk the trigger all the way back as fast as possible.
If your speed increases, one of your problems will be "Sear Drag" on the striker.

April 30th, 2012, 8:12 pm #8

If you are certain it is accurate, there is enough information on this forum about this gun to resolve any problem without testing everything.

I have never owned a bubble pack stock pistol, so I would suggest a search for out of the package velocities that others get with a variety of pellets.

There's a question !
Off the top, I can't honestly swear to it, and do not believe I have a readily available means to verify calibration. ( but I have a hard time believing I'm off by over 100 fps, or roughly 25% )

I'll be checking around, and see if I don't have a gun shop around who has one.

April 30th, 2012, 8:13 pm #9

that I did a while back when I was first testing the first Pro-Top. The strings were done at about 62deg's F.
As you can see I used a brand new bubble packed 2240, and RWS Hobby pellets which are fairly light. Your numbers look a bit slow. Try putting some shots across the Chrony and jerk the trigger all the way back as fast as possible.
If your speed increases, one of your problems will be "Sear Drag" on the striker.

That's the kind of data I was hoping for !
THANK YOU !

I do note that I am seeing some of the erratic up/down velocities you recorded.

April 30th, 2012, 8:29 pm #10

Thanks....
Yesterday's shot string...
#1 241
#2 305
#3 388 ( and notably louder )
#4 333
#5 314
#6 325
#7 312
Average 317.8 ( discarding fastest and slowest )

After the hammer spring suggestion, I shimmed the hammer spring this morning, so that
instead of 2 pounds on-seat and 4 pounds cocked, I got 4 pounds on-seat and 6.5 cocked.

For comparison ( not necessarily valid ) my 1322c is 2 pounds on-seat, 6 pounds cocked.

Shot string a moment ago...
#1 381
#2 333
#3 320
#4 305
#5 277
Average 323.48 ( taken over 1 minute 1.1 seconds, Crosman Premier hollow points 14.3 grains )

Also noting the steady and near linear decline in velocity, suggesting that this powerlet is probably spent, but I've seen that before, and had a completely different experience the next day after just letting it sit over night, and getting another 30 shots out of it.
In spite of that, we have an average increase of 5.68 fps. I'll be trying a fresh powerlet probably tomorrow, or the day after.