AS2250XT a.k.a. 007 - 900fps

AS2250XT a.k.a. 007 - 900fps

February 4th, 2011, 7:50 pm #1

When I first set out to build this I was looking to get in or near the mid 800fps range like Jim's Bunny Buster and Joe's HPA2260XT-Z. I went with a 1600psi output reg. and with a 18" barrel 007 was shooing in the 830-860fps range and I was very happy with those numbers but deep inside I wanted a little more and from reading, getting advice and seeing those other two fine rifles mentioned above I decided to put on a 24" barrel - I got it ready by recrowning it(from the awesome instructions by Robert!)and drilling out the TP. I put every thing back together and my TP seal was leaking but it was shooting in the 875-890 range. I put a new seal in it and WOW! 007 does over 900fps with consistancy using .22 RWS 14.5gr Superpoint Extras and Crosman Premier HP's and domed and shoots 860-870fps with 16gr. Predator Polymags! It shot out a couple 918 numbers and then settled down to shoot 901-905s with the crosman pellets and 908-912 with the RWS. When my bottle pressure dropped to around 1800-1900psi it started shooting in the high 800s. When it hit 1600 it dropped to 850s and when the bottle pressure couldn't keep my valve open the last shot came out at 834.6. I'll get a post of some more readings when I get my bottle filled and start from a fresh 4000-4200psi in the tank. I am one very very happy AS2250XT owner! **I'm going to buy a new Chrony soon and I'll repost numbers then but I can tell you it will put a 14.3 crosman pointed pellet through a new 7 ply maple skateboard deck @ 5ft and skateboard decks are insane tough and hard!**
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

February 4th, 2011, 10:39 pm #2

That Looks AWESOME & You really got you! Velocity Up there?

Can You get More Velocity from HPA Vs, CO 2 ?

Try some of the Pellets I tested & the Crow Mags! shootem into Wet Phone Books or Newspaper(also Wet!) or Modeling Clay Blocks ,but ya have to "work it" till its soft Then watch the Wound Channel open up @ entry!

You can cut the X in Like I did Then Size them You can use Cold Rolled &Chuck it in a Lathe ,Drill a 7/32" hole through it Then Face off 1 end & Countersin the other ,use a 3/16" brass rod(about 6" to pusg it thru die then shot it& see what happens!

Great Job Dave!

Mario

February 4th, 2011, 10:45 pm #3

When I first set out to build this I was looking to get in or near the mid 800fps range like Jim's Bunny Buster and Joe's HPA2260XT-Z. I went with a 1600psi output reg. and with a 18" barrel 007 was shooing in the 830-860fps range and I was very happy with those numbers but deep inside I wanted a little more and from reading, getting advice and seeing those other two fine rifles mentioned above I decided to put on a 24" barrel - I got it ready by recrowning it(from the awesome instructions by Robert!)and drilling out the TP. I put every thing back together and my TP seal was leaking but it was shooting in the 875-890 range. I put a new seal in it and WOW! 007 does over 900fps with consistancy using .22 RWS 14.5gr Superpoint Extras and Crosman Premier HP's and domed and shoots 860-870fps with 16gr. Predator Polymags! It shot out a couple 918 numbers and then settled down to shoot 901-905s with the crosman pellets and 908-912 with the RWS. When my bottle pressure dropped to around 1800-1900psi it started shooting in the high 800s. When it hit 1600 it dropped to 850s and when the bottle pressure couldn't keep my valve open the last shot came out at 834.6. I'll get a post of some more readings when I get my bottle filled and start from a fresh 4000-4200psi in the tank. I am one very very happy AS2250XT owner! **I'm going to buy a new Chrony soon and I'll repost numbers then but I can tell you it will put a 14.3 crosman pointed pellet through a new 7 ply maple skateboard deck @ 5ft and skateboard decks are insane tough and hard!**
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Thems' some serious numbers.

Now that rabbit season is closed until July, I'm going to rip into my as2250 and bump the pressure up a notch -or two;^). Those few extra psi really made her hum.

Great job.

February 5th, 2011, 3:29 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I really like that breech.

Glenn in Texas

February 5th, 2011, 4:23 pm #5

Thanks Glenn! I got the breech from Cothrans Machine Shop.http://www.cothranmachine.com/ . Don makes this riser breech out of aluminum or stainless steel, I chose the aluminum one and he did a matte finish on it for me. He also makes a tall barrel band to go with the riser breeches. Here's some of his other stuff -http://www.airgunartisans.com/AADonCParts.htm

February 5th, 2011, 7:08 pm #6

That Looks AWESOME & You really got you! Velocity Up there?

Can You get More Velocity from HPA Vs, CO 2 ?

Try some of the Pellets I tested & the Crow Mags! shootem into Wet Phone Books or Newspaper(also Wet!) or Modeling Clay Blocks ,but ya have to "work it" till its soft Then watch the Wound Channel open up @ entry!

You can cut the X in Like I did Then Size them You can use Cold Rolled &Chuck it in a Lathe ,Drill a 7/32" hole through it Then Face off 1 end & Countersin the other ,use a 3/16" brass rod(about 6" to pusg it thru die then shot it& see what happens!

Great Job Dave!

Mario
Can you get more power out of hpa vs. co2? Yes and no - a lot will depend on how you set up your rifle but if you had a bottle of co2 and a bottle of hpa and both had a output of 850psi and you put them on your AS2250 you would most likely see a increase in your fps not a lot but maybe 5-20fps more with hpa cause air is less dense than co2 and it flows faster. Bump the psi output of the hpa bottle to 1000-1200 psi and you'll see a bigger increase but if you go with higher pressures you might have to change your hammer spring to a stronger one to open the valve up if not you might actually loose power. You really can't adjust the output psi of co2. CO2 is affected by the air temperature so the hotter it is the more psi - co2 @ 70f deg is around 850psi and @ 85f it's around a 1000psi and @ 95f it's around 1250psi- so your at the mercy of mother nature. You will get more shot counts from co2 if you were to use the same size bottles but you wil1 get more consistant shots with hpa in any temperature cause it's not really affected by how hot it is outside, the bottle is regulated to put out a certain psi everytime. So in the end it's easier to make more power by using hpa cause you can run the higher psi outputs that you might only get to see from co2 if your in really hot weather. But like I said up top, your rifle set-up will have some to do with it too. HPA can be more dangerous though cause of the higher pressures and you need to take that into account - **I scuba dive and deal with HPA there I also use to paintball and have used it on my paintball guns and I know the risk and I've done my research on this to see what I could do to my rifle. 1800psi is the limit so I chose to go with 1600psi. I don't have a problem using hpa on my pellet rifle but this is me and my opinion and my choice on using HPA**

Mario - I don't have a lathe or all the tools to do what your doing to your pellets but I'll see what I can do and get you some results - it might take a little time though

February 5th, 2011, 7:49 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I got my tank filled to 4500psi but after if cooled down it settled to 4200psi. After installing it and getting everything set up here's the the 1st ten shots it posted with .22 14.5gr RWS Superpoint Extras

915.2 - damaged skirt

avg. 917.99fps / 27.1fpe

next 15 shots (really 17 shots - I had two errors) with .22 16gr Predator Polymags - a bunch of these pellets had bent skirts
err
err
859.4 - really damaged skirt

avg. 15shots 876.59fps / 27.3fpe

February 5th, 2011, 7:52 pm #8

Thems' some serious numbers.

Now that rabbit season is closed until July, I'm going to rip into my as2250 and bump the pressure up a notch -or two;^). Those few extra psi really made her hum.

Great job.
bump it up!

February 5th, 2011, 9:14 pm #9

Can you get more power out of hpa vs. co2? Yes and no - a lot will depend on how you set up your rifle but if you had a bottle of co2 and a bottle of hpa and both had a output of 850psi and you put them on your AS2250 you would most likely see a increase in your fps not a lot but maybe 5-20fps more with hpa cause air is less dense than co2 and it flows faster. Bump the psi output of the hpa bottle to 1000-1200 psi and you'll see a bigger increase but if you go with higher pressures you might have to change your hammer spring to a stronger one to open the valve up if not you might actually loose power. You really can't adjust the output psi of co2. CO2 is affected by the air temperature so the hotter it is the more psi - co2 @ 70f deg is around 850psi and @ 85f it's around a 1000psi and @ 95f it's around 1250psi- so your at the mercy of mother nature. You will get more shot counts from co2 if you were to use the same size bottles but you wil1 get more consistant shots with hpa in any temperature cause it's not really affected by how hot it is outside, the bottle is regulated to put out a certain psi everytime. So in the end it's easier to make more power by using hpa cause you can run the higher psi outputs that you might only get to see from co2 if your in really hot weather. But like I said up top, your rifle set-up will have some to do with it too. HPA can be more dangerous though cause of the higher pressures and you need to take that into account - **I scuba dive and deal with HPA there I also use to paintball and have used it on my paintball guns and I know the risk and I've done my research on this to see what I could do to my rifle. 1800psi is the limit so I chose to go with 1600psi. I don't have a problem using hpa on my pellet rifle but this is me and my opinion and my choice on using HPA**

Mario - I don't have a lathe or all the tools to do what your doing to your pellets but I'll see what I can do and get you some results - it might take a little time though
Dave,
I appreciate the time you took to explain the differnces ...! If you like
I could Make Up a die set up for you with the .2187 die and a probe to push the pellets
thru.I have a good bit of steel to work with & time now!

I'm aking a die in very near future for my new AS2550XT that Roy is going to build for me
at Mountain Air Customs. so I can make your set up & My .25 die together no trouble at all!

All I'd need is you address. & all you need is an X-axcto knife then go to hobby or craft shop to get Modeling Clay to shoot or soaked Phone books for Penetration & Expansion testing!

Mario

P.S. Really liked seeing your AS2250 a la Dave!

February 7th, 2011, 5:19 am #10

Thanks Mario!! I'll email you my address! I ordered some pellets today and I'm saving some phone books so I'll make sure to get you some pics! Let me know how that .25 shoots! You should think about switching that one to HPA - I've read that bigger calibers work better with HPA. Man between your .25 and Jim's custom build I just saw I'm getting jelous! A .50 cal Quackenbush would be nice but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me shooting that in my house during the winter months! hahahaha...... I'm super happy with 007 though! I didn't think I was gonna break 900's after reading so many post and people saying it wasn't possible but after I saw what she was doing with a 18" barrel and co2 I had hopes! I also ordered some crosman lead-free Hyper-Velocity .22 9.5gr Superpoint pellets just to see if I can break the 100fps mark! -- It has no problem shooting crosman 14.3gr pointed, php, and 16gr polymags through a 1mm thick aluminum shoe shelf @ 50ft and it will shoot through a 1-1/8" diameter oak rod with pointed pellets!

Here some pics of a 1.5mm thick aluminum dogtag shot from 50ft away - a Gamo .22 14.3gr Rocket ballistic tip will go through with no problems - the bottom dent was from a 16gr Predator Polymag. A crosman pointed pellet will just break through but needs a little more to get all the way.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]