As I see it, there are three possible approaches to the millennium pumper

As I see it, there are three possible approaches to the millennium pumper

May 25th, 2012, 5:12 am #1

1)Detail work on a proven, existing platform,working from an established knowledge base and aftermarket sources. An AC benajmin with a skeleton valve would fall in this category.

2) Come up with a combination of parts currently available, but combined differently than anything on the market..a Benjamin pump tube plumbed to a Disco would fit in here, or a QB with a 1400 pump built in.

Both the above have the advantage of being possible to assemble in a typical home shop, if you have cooperative aftermarket suppliers.

The third approach is much less modder friendly.That would be..

3)Scratch built, blank slate design. The vertical valve hammer gun I mention lower on the page is in this category, as are the couple guns that I know Ron has built...there are very few here on the green that have the skills and the shop to pull off this approach.

It strikes me that we need to pick an approach, just to narrow things down a bit.

Can we acknowledge that batteries aren't to the point that we can power on board electric compressors, and let that idea go?

May 25th, 2012, 6:13 am #2

Begin with a Discovery. Use a Benji lever and valve. The valve will need to be turned down, use gauge and the the gauge block to read pressure. The will need tube slotted... Very doable. Put the lever on the side.

Give me 8 months to get situated out East and purchase some real machine tools, it's on. I'll build either a one off system, or build one that uses current pieces parts...

Honestly can't figure out why some of the tool owning folks have not built one up.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

May 25th, 2012, 7:42 am #3

Last edited by robnewyork on May 25th, 2012, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2012, 12:29 pm #4

1)Detail work on a proven, existing platform,working from an established knowledge base and aftermarket sources. An AC benajmin with a skeleton valve would fall in this category.

2) Come up with a combination of parts currently available, but combined differently than anything on the market..a Benjamin pump tube plumbed to a Disco would fit in here, or a QB with a 1400 pump built in.

Both the above have the advantage of being possible to assemble in a typical home shop, if you have cooperative aftermarket suppliers.

3)Scratch built, blank slate design. The vertical valve hammer gun I mention lower on the page is in this category, as are the couple guns that I know Ron has built...there are very few here on the green that have the skills and the shop to pull off this approach.

It strikes me that we need to pick an approach, just to narrow things down a bit.

Can we acknowledge that batteries aren't to the point that we can power on board electric compressors, and let that idea go?
#1 I don't think there's enough left on the table of existing design to make it worthy of further pursuit. Cleaning up detail and preventing losses will eke out a bit more but a new approach seems necessary at this juncture.

#2 My choice as 'the art of the possible'. As both you and Phil point out and I have in the past combining the best features of various options opens the way to a lot of creative thinking and the feasibility of actually putting something together that will work well for the advanced putterer without a machine shop at his disposal.

#3 I think if #2 produces results worthy of note that the latter option will take care of itself. Creative thinking just generates more. Look at how the creative juices are already starting to flow just from this discussion to date. Tom

May 25th, 2012, 1:59 pm #5

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/m ... B+SV392---

Steve

May 25th, 2012, 2:47 pm #6

Begin with a Discovery. Use a Benji lever and valve. The valve will need to be turned down, use gauge and the the gauge block to read pressure. The will need tube slotted... Very doable. Put the lever on the side.

Give me 8 months to get situated out East and purchase some real machine tools, it's on. I'll build either a one off system, or build one that uses current pieces parts...

Honestly can't figure out why some of the tool owning folks have not built one up.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
Great point, parts are available, benji valve is great can easily be fixed, side lever is the way to go... and BULLPUP!!!

May 25th, 2012, 3:34 pm #7

There never can be a millennium pumper or the "rebirth" of the pumper so to speak.

That is only an ideology and has as many intreptations as there are persons who own and shoot pumpers.

I believe the discourse on this and all forums regarding pumpers is self evident.

When we are presented with new technology, we have it for only a moment. The thirst for new technology is very dynamic.

May 25th, 2012, 5:59 pm #9

There never can be a millennium pumper or the "rebirth" of the pumper so to speak.

That is only an ideology and has as many intreptations as there are persons who own and shoot pumpers.

I believe the discourse on this and all forums regarding pumpers is self evident.

When we are presented with new technology, we have it for only a moment. The thirst for new technology is very dynamic.

May 25th, 2012, 7:45 pm #10

i have to agree. we wont be seeing anything that's actually a huge improvement over whats already available or mass marketable because the current design already works so well. that's why it hasn't really changed over a hundred years or whatever

with everything that's been said i can't think of any reason not to just buy a benjamin gun and do a couple of my own simple and cheap mods to it. they're great to work on because there's only like 3 screws holding it together and the valve pops right out the back. i hate tinkering with my crosman 1377 and 2240 because you have to dismantle the entire *#%&@ing thing just to change an o-ring

i just wish it were easier to do a flat faced valve/piston with them. then they'd be very close to perfect IMO