Anyone here ever modified a

Anyone here ever modified a

August 17th, 2012, 3:48 pm #1

Discovery PCP to have the hammer cock separate from the bolt?
Sorta like Mr. Jack Haley does his big bores.
If you have done it, could you explain in detail the process of conversion and maybe post a few pictures?
Also, maybe state the cost and or parts involved in completing such a modification.
Thanks
Ray

August 17th, 2012, 5:03 pm #2

I made a new hammer with a long screw in spring guide that looked like this.... It was necessary to make a new hammer as the factory one is hardened and almost impossible to drill.... I also wanted a heavier hammer, so I omitted the "waist".... I used 1045 steel and hardened the hammer after all machining was done....

[/IMG]

Then I drilled out the adjusting screw in my RVA for the guide to pass through and screwed a knob on the back end.... You pull back on the knob to cock the gun.... You can change the total hammer weight by changing the weight of the knob.... You can see the ~1/2" adjustment range of the RVA by comparing the two photos....

[/IMG]

I left the cocking pin in place so that the hammer wouldn't rotate, which is important in a Disco as you don't want the hammer to run into the front breech screw.... This particular gun didn't have that issue as I was using the forward screw position.... so it doesn't have the top front hammer notch required to miss the screw....

Bob
Last edited by rsterne on August 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2012, 5:20 pm #3

I plink, therefore I am.

August 17th, 2012, 6:37 pm #4

I made a new hammer with a long screw in spring guide that looked like this.... It was necessary to make a new hammer as the factory one is hardened and almost impossible to drill.... I also wanted a heavier hammer, so I omitted the "waist".... I used 1045 steel and hardened the hammer after all machining was done....

[/IMG]

Then I drilled out the adjusting screw in my RVA for the guide to pass through and screwed a knob on the back end.... You pull back on the knob to cock the gun.... You can change the total hammer weight by changing the weight of the knob.... You can see the ~1/2" adjustment range of the RVA by comparing the two photos....

[/IMG]

I left the cocking pin in place so that the hammer wouldn't rotate, which is important in a Disco as you don't want the hammer to run into the front breech screw.... This particular gun didn't have that issue as I was using the forward screw position.... so it doesn't have the top front hammer notch required to miss the screw....

Bob
...keep the threaded thing(y) from turning?

Thanks,

WyoMan

August 17th, 2012, 6:53 pm #5

but it's not in the photo.... I was using a "jam nut" which is half the thickness of a regular nut.... I have also used a small plug of Delrin in an 8-32 tapped hole in the side of the adjuster body, and held in by a setscrew against the side of the thread on the adjuster.... I wouldn't trust it to hold adjustment without a locknut or brake of some kind....

Bob

August 17th, 2012, 9:28 pm #6

Discovery PCP to have the hammer cock separate from the bolt?
Sorta like Mr. Jack Haley does his big bores.
If you have done it, could you explain in detail the process of conversion and maybe post a few pictures?
Also, maybe state the cost and or parts involved in completing such a modification.
Thanks
Ray
I have modified a few of the stock hammers in the disco for rear cocking. Best to grind the area on the hammer you want to drill with a dremmel because the outside is hardened. After grinding you can drill without much problem.

I tapped and added a set screw in the side of the end cap to hold the settings on the power adjuster.

August 18th, 2012, 3:43 am #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Bob
Doesn't opening the bolt to load a pellet still cock the gun??
Or have you shortened the pin to where it doesn't stick up as much?
I like your idea, its like my old style 1377 and it doesn't require cutting a slot
in the side of the pressure tube for a separate cocking handle.
Ray

August 18th, 2012, 5:03 am #8

so the cocking pin missed the bolt.... It could also be shortened so that it only indexed in the slot in the tube and it would still keep the hammer from rotating....

Bob

August 18th, 2012, 12:53 pm #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Bob
These are the ones I make and in stall on all my big bore Disco's and 22XX plat forms. I do make and sale these for people.

Heres a side cocker:

Sean
WorkinmanVA

August 18th, 2012, 3:14 pm #10

just goes to show there is nothing new under the sun, eh?.... The bottom photo looks like it's a rear or side cocker?.... What is the total hammer weight done that way, it must be 150 gr.?.... Have you done any experimenting on increasing the stroke?.... What is the heaviest wire size you have used on a 22xx/Disco hammer spring?....

Bob