Anybody know how to remove the filter in the AS2250XT

Anybody know how to remove the filter in the AS2250XT

October 29th, 2011, 7:18 pm #1

piercing block...Can't see how it comes apart. Thanks

October 30th, 2011, 2:54 am #2

Mark if you mean part# 38-028. The filter in the middle of the piercing assembly.
The piercing block does come apart but is not easy to unscrew, I used two plumbing
wrenches (Stilsons) but I found they marked the pieces badly and even then I had to put them on the floor and tread on one wrench.
When I tried to use the vice they were so tight I was moving the work bench.
Unless you really need to do this I would leave the filter alone.
I only did it once and afterwards decided it was'nt worth the trouble and never did it again.
Now I make my own piercing blocks in one piece.
HTH.
Mike

Aim to Shoot. Shoot to win.

October 30th, 2011, 12:29 pm #3

I can't work out how to get the filter 38-028 out. There seems to be another O ring DMC4TA-006 inside AS2250-001 section. Is it just drift out with a punch from the rear?
Last edited by Specman on October 30th, 2011, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2011, 2:25 pm #4

piercing block...Can't see how it comes apart. Thanks
FINALLY! I have solved so many issues. This piercing block my come in several designs. As mine is a phase three trigger frame I'm guessing that mine is the newest spec, but I may be wrong.

The reason why my filter seemed blocked was because its a sinter filter, like the one's used in scuba regulators and its a lot thicker than the brass screen filter I have as a spare. Sinter filters get blocked and once they are blocked its terminal so it had to come out anyway. You can clean them with ultrasonic cleaners but you risk them breaking up under pressure. Not a problem here though as once you get it out its terminal!

The piercing pin on my design is compression fit and it took a 4mm short bar pushed in through the back, then compressed in a vice to get it out.

I am thinking that the simple, thin mesh filter could be fitted between AS2250-01 and AS2250-002 to make changing this part simple. On my model there is no internal O ring, part DMC4TA-006 on the piercing pin.

If anybody can offer further clarification on this it would be much appreciated, starting with the best way to get it back together.

I'm thinking I could do away with the piercing pin for HPA use, any ideas about getting a seal on my paintball adaptor without it?

Cheers
Mark
Last edited by Specman on October 30th, 2011, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2011, 5:00 pm #5

A vice
2-2.5" length of 4mm bar to push the filter and piercing pin out from the back.
A 2" section of cut off barrel to slip over the piercing pin to compress it back into place.

I had neither, got off using a drill bit which was luck as it broke twice! (not exactly safe either)
Compressed the piercing pin back in place using a pin vice (it had a hollow handle) not ideal, I destroyed it in the process. I will be making sure i have what's needed to hand before taking it apart again.

I replaced the sinter filter with one from a Mares scuba regulator kit, it was damn near perfect, just skimmed the edge a little to get it seated. It was the exact size & thickness which was great as I have half a dozen of them.

I chronied the gun and a 850psi HPA my velocity has raised from 650 ft/per sec to 669 ft/per sec. At 1000psi there was little change, 700 ft/per sec up to 702 ft/per sec. I guess the higher pressure was able to overcome the obstruction better.

Anyway, all in all it was worth replacing it and it will be easy next time. This point is a definite bottle neck and something that needs looking at if you are struggling with your numbers.

Hope this is helpful (I couldn't find any info on it)