Andy's "Convertible"

Andy's "Convertible"

July 31st, 2012, 3:00 pm #1

Andy could you tell the audience at home how you finsished the stock and pump arm on your Convertible?

What finsih did you use?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

July 31st, 2012, 3:32 pm #2

The paint used was given in the original post, right under the pictures! lol

The stock and forearm are made of plywood (seems like my favorite material) and painted with Rustoleum Autumn Brown multicolor testure spray paint.
I did use a prime coat of some flat brown spray and then build up layers of the texture paint. I knocked off any excessive roughness when done with a little rub down with 0000 steel wool.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/t ... onvertable

http://rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=31

I plink, therefore I am.
Last edited by airgunandy on July 31st, 2012, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 31st, 2012, 7:47 pm #3

Brilliant!

Reason I was asking about the fisninh, my wood alwyas seems to absorb the paint differnetly in various parts of the stock. and you see that thru the fisnish, even though I seal it and prime it and sand it smooth before the final coats.

Multiple coats of texture paint...... and I know it comes in a red of some sort

Thanx Andy!

July 31st, 2012, 7:57 pm #4

I've used the texture paint under different color top coats too to get the "synthetic" feel on a wood stock.
A light sanding to knock the down a lot of the roughness (but not all) before applying a smooth top coat really looks good too.

I plink, therefore I am.

July 31st, 2012, 8:23 pm #5

Ive had bad luck trying to mix Rustoleum over Krylon or Walmart cans.....

July 31st, 2012, 8:41 pm #6

Generally I do. There are a couple of Rustoleums that I like to use for top coats over the texture.

I have run into trouble a few times trying to use the texture over Krylon Fusion such as when painting the Crosman grip panels or texturizing a custom PVC part. But if you make sure the Krylon is good and dry (several days) and put the texture on a little at a time allowing to dry before adding more it will work out OK.
If you get runs in the texture paint just let it dry, sand out the run a bit and apply another light coat or two of the texture to blend in.
It really hides minor imperfections in the woodwork. Nothing hides really bad woodwork though! lol

Also, the farther away from the surface you get the grittier the texture.
They also have a single color (non-multicolor?) texture spray paint too. It works well for simulated synthetic looking wood too. It's not as coarse as the multi-color.

I plink, therefore I am.

July 31st, 2012, 10:04 pm #7

Monchrome texture paint? sweet! finally an alternative to TBL.....

August 1st, 2012, 2:29 am #8

Generally I do. There are a couple of Rustoleums that I like to use for top coats over the texture.

I have run into trouble a few times trying to use the texture over Krylon Fusion such as when painting the Crosman grip panels or texturizing a custom PVC part. But if you make sure the Krylon is good and dry (several days) and put the texture on a little at a time allowing to dry before adding more it will work out OK.
If you get runs in the texture paint just let it dry, sand out the run a bit and apply another light coat or two of the texture to blend in.
It really hides minor imperfections in the woodwork. Nothing hides really bad woodwork though! lol

Also, the farther away from the surface you get the grittier the texture.
They also have a single color (non-multicolor?) texture spray paint too. It works well for simulated synthetic looking wood too. It's not as coarse as the multi-color.

I plink, therefore I am.
WyoMan

[Pistol Pete - Back by Forum Demand?]

August 1st, 2012, 3:57 am #9

What did you think it was?

First time I saw one of his guns dressed like that, I thought it was plastic he had painted. Now knowing sorta the process, it makes perfect sense.

Guessing pics dont do justice.