A question !! Has anyone ever moded a 22xx to outperform a LD ??

A question !! Has anyone ever moded a 22xx to outperform a LD ??

August 8th, 2011, 1:30 pm #1

Now I have worked on some to make them a bit more powerful than an LD...but at the cost of other factors. I honestly don't think it can be done...but if so would like to know the secret...Perhaps I am missing something.
If so please edify me...
kindly
ron

August 8th, 2011, 1:47 pm #2

August 8th, 2011, 2:59 pm #3

anyone can obtain more power.......that is pretty good consitancy but my 2 LDs are better and provide more shots. Power is not everything...Power at the expence of less shots is one of the factors of which I was speaking.
There is a balance to an L.D...which to date I have not seen in any 22xx platform.
Heck I have sunk 400.00 into custom parts and various valve mods on a 22xx gun, only to return to the L.D and what those guns do so well.

August 8th, 2011, 3:13 pm #4

what barrel length ?

Kind of apples and oranges to compare a 14" barrel 2250 to a pistol, unless that pistol also has a 14" barrel.

August 8th, 2011, 3:14 pm #5

anyone can obtain more power.......that is pretty good consitancy but my 2 LDs are better and provide more shots. Power is not everything...Power at the expence of less shots is one of the factors of which I was speaking.
There is a balance to an L.D...which to date I have not seen in any 22xx platform.
Heck I have sunk 400.00 into custom parts and various valve mods on a 22xx gun, only to return to the L.D and what those guns do so well.
...nearly 50% more shots than my old LD-1 (i.e., mid-30s vs mid-20's) at a similar power level.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/me ... onsistency...

So you can define "performance" prettymuch anyway you like, and the chances are there are specific examples of superiority of most any design over another. It just takes tweaking and TLC.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on August 8th, 2011, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2011, 3:29 pm #6

Now I have worked on some to make them a bit more powerful than an LD...but at the cost of other factors. I honestly don't think it can be done...but if so would like to know the secret...Perhaps I am missing something.
If so please edify me...
kindly
ron
...on one co2 cartridge with enough work, but energy is way down. Could boost it up to some impressive speeds, but the shot count really suxs.

If ordering the base pistol from the Crosman Custom shop, the 10.1" .177 LW barrel is something like $31 more than a Crosman 10" .177 barrel...money well spent.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/m ... re+on+slow
Would take a 1701p trigger/grip frame or one of the two stage after market triggers to match a well tuned LD trigger (even as an issue Crosman MarkI, the trigger was a great feature). So I can get a 22XX to shoot as well BENCHED, but cannot shoot one as well off hand. The LD's grip shape and trigger win.
Last edited by gubb33ps on August 8th, 2011, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2011, 3:41 pm #7

If so please edify me...
kindly
ron
I put this together with a lot of TLC, e.g., recrown barrel, polish leade, shim barrel into breech, etc.

Other than the BOSS valve and HDD it's all Crosman.

One cartridge, velocities on left column:

August 8th, 2011, 4:27 pm #8

but my two L.Ds get almost 30 shots with more consistancy.......Performance means diferent things to different people....Take for example a BMW..it is not the fastest but it is the most balanced. The way the car handles, the way it brakes, fuel effeciency, power..it is a delicate thing.
To me the L.D is like the BMW..it does all things very well..it could be more powerful but that would kill consistancy and shot count. Its just that perfect balance.
I have been looking to build a 22xx gun for a fair amount of money that would do what the L.D does...but so far have failed...built quite a few 22xx guns too..I stopped trying because after loads of money spent..The L.D was still the top dog......Just my 2 cents. You know what they say about opinions !!
I have about 750.00 in each of my 2 L.Ds now that includes two hangy tanks each and the adapters for each gun. Each gun is different and built for different things. The reason I am asking this question is that a good friend of mine does not want to spend the money on an L.D thinking he can save money building a 22xx gun.......But after shooting my 2 L.Ds wands to buy one of mine which is not going to happen.
My 2 L.Ds are very special in the parts that were selected to compliment Tims work....The very best iron sites and grips..shrouds stocks ect... I feel that the L.D is the best of the best at what it does...They out shoot my FWB 65 and one out shoots my FWB c-10..talking about groups here...and the LDs have more power and in 22 cal for hunting . The L.Ds are a combo which in my mind just can't be beat....you can spend more money but in the end...Why ????

August 8th, 2011, 5:30 pm #9

If so please edify me...
kindly
ron
...I'm in the UK so I'm resticted to 12 ft/lbs. I wanted my Ratcatcher for exactly that, killing rats! But I wanted max power for some longer shots. Shot count was irrelevant as 14 good shots was more than enough for the job in hand. If I get off half a dozen shots before it goes quiet then I'm doing well. I would rather have a dozen full power shots, with better consistency than most pcp's than 90 half assed shots! If you plinking thats fine, I could have plinked about 30+ out of the bulb, but killing clean is another matter.

I'm now building a AS2250XT with a 3.5oz paintball that will give me a couple of hundred shots per fill. This is a different beast, full power with plenty of gas for a days hunting and I can boost the volume with a simple change of tank, maybe put a 20oz with a butt stock on it.

The question is, what do YOU want from your rifle? I love Crosman CO2 weapons, I've spent hundreds modding them and have plenty more to spend, but I don't care they are great! If you want instant power buy any PCP, even a standard AS2250XT is perfect for ratting and plinking, but me, I'm a Crosman man, we join the Green Forum cos we love em and cost in most cases just doesn't come into it.

That's my opinion for what its worth.

Cheers
Mark

August 8th, 2011, 5:36 pm #10

If so please edify me...
kindly
ron
being run on 12g bulbs.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/m ... -top+valve+---