A morality question...a lttle help please?

A morality question...a lttle help please?

June 22nd, 2011, 1:40 pm #1

I do not post very much on this forum, but do read with great respect as I have learned much here and some of the stuff has opened my mind a bit to ideas that I never would have thought of on my own, so it is with that respect, I ask this.

Here is the thing guys, I need some opinions on what I am doing. A little background first;

On another forum, the 22xx HDD topic came up, testing and results by members were great, except reliability sucks. The HDD would fail sometimes in less than 100 cycles, sometimes it would last much much longer. So the normal how about this and how about that talk of making it stronger surfaced. Some good ideas came about and then I made one with a solid head. It sure seemed to work for me, so I sent out a bunch to the members for testing, charging a nominal fee (5 bucks), to cover my time and postage.

Now, the result are extremely positive, with a few exceptions, so I was getting pretty pysched. And no, not about making money, it was never about that, but that we had made a better mousetrap. No one is going to retire on a 10-20 buck HDD. All that said, I got flamed this morning on a post about cut-thoating the original maker (whom I am told is a member here, so that is good if he reads this). Now, I admit, I flamed him back and that really wasn't a good move on my part, wrong actually on my part. I am not really prone to striking back like that, but something raised my hackles in that post, but it's done and that's that.

What I would like your opinions on is this.......is it wrong to try to make something better? and if I do, should I benefit from it as others in the past have done?

Thanks,

Rich

June 22nd, 2011, 2:40 pm #2

Do you have a picture?

June 22nd, 2011, 2:52 pm #3

I do not post very much on this forum, but do read with great respect as I have learned much here and some of the stuff has opened my mind a bit to ideas that I never would have thought of on my own, so it is with that respect, I ask this.

Here is the thing guys, I need some opinions on what I am doing. A little background first;

On another forum, the 22xx HDD topic came up, testing and results by members were great, except reliability sucks. The HDD would fail sometimes in less than 100 cycles, sometimes it would last much much longer. So the normal how about this and how about that talk of making it stronger surfaced. Some good ideas came about and then I made one with a solid head. It sure seemed to work for me, so I sent out a bunch to the members for testing, charging a nominal fee (5 bucks), to cover my time and postage.

Now, the result are extremely positive, with a few exceptions, so I was getting pretty pysched. And no, not about making money, it was never about that, but that we had made a better mousetrap. No one is going to retire on a 10-20 buck HDD. All that said, I got flamed this morning on a post about cut-thoating the original maker (whom I am told is a member here, so that is good if he reads this). Now, I admit, I flamed him back and that really wasn't a good move on my part, wrong actually on my part. I am not really prone to striking back like that, but something raised my hackles in that post, but it's done and that's that.

What I would like your opinions on is this.......is it wrong to try to make something better? and if I do, should I benefit from it as others in the past have done?

Thanks,

Rich
...my post on the CPO forum last night. My reference to "Chinese" was directed entirely to the stereotypical Chinese Communist government, industry, and their well-documented practices that disregard intellectual property rights with the resulting impact on American global competitiveness and manufacturing.

I'm very sorry if my ill-chosen wording came off as an ethnic or (heaven forbid) racial slur. That certainly wasn't my intention. I admit I was angry and chose a poor way to express myself.

Steve

June 22nd, 2011, 2:56 pm #4

Do you have a picture?

1308754543.JPG

June 22nd, 2011, 3:07 pm #5

...my post on the CPO forum last night. My reference to "Chinese" was directed entirely to the stereotypical Chinese Communist government, industry, and their well-documented practices that disregard intellectual property rights with the resulting impact on American global competitiveness and manufacturing.

I'm very sorry if my ill-chosen wording came off as an ethnic or (heaven forbid) racial slur. That certainly wasn't my intention. I admit I was angry and chose a poor way to express myself.

Steve
And Steve, I hope my email to you expressed the same apology. I really never meant to step on your toes, but you gotta know that it is an inherent trait in machinists to make it better, even if it's not! Just one of those things I am guilty of, but man when I saw what a shot count improvement and added quietness could be had with an HDD and the only grip being longevity, well I took the ball and ran with it. So there it is.....I do agree with your views on what we can call the outsourcing of America, be it to what ever slave labor county it is. I'm a machinist and have seen it and felt it for many year now. I don't agree with it and it was never my intention to do with the HDD. As I said in my email to you, the SHD design is now yours to do with what you want, although I do hope the people I sent them to for testing keep on letting us know the results, because they are far from completed.

Rich

June 22nd, 2011, 3:20 pm #6

As soon as you can, you might want to acquire a chronograph and actually measure how your HDD performs in terms of the total muzzle energy (i.e. sum of the kinetic energy of all the shots) it allows a gun to get from a charge of gas.

No offense - I know this advice is the kind people often resent because you didn't ask for it - but I think you'll find the objective evidence will show it's a waste of time.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on June 22nd, 2011, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2011, 4:10 pm #7

But thanks and that is exactly why I sent it out to people with chrony's for review. If I did all the testing myself, it might come off as biased.

That said, it did have a tough time with HPA. There was a significant drop in FPS (50fps if memory serves me right), but the usable air was greater and therefore greater shot count, before the spread became unacceptable. On that particular post, the user was not at all happy, because the SHD changed the spread between shots by about 10fps in addition to dropping his FPS and that was not acceptable to him as he likes to shoot out to 80 yards and without the SHD, his grouping were quarter sized or less. With the SHD,  they were larger. He did mention that for closer range shooting, the effect would not be as bad, which makes sense as POI would be less. His gun is highly modded 2250 based shooting just over 1000 FPS with no HDD.

Some people really like it and I've heard that from quite a few with highly modded valves or bulk valves who had the original HDD fail on them. What I don't think has been done is to have the original shot and then the SHD afterwards in the same gun and results compared. I do believe there is someone who said they were going to do that, but no reslts yet. Will be interesting to see.

Rich

June 22nd, 2011, 4:21 pm #8

Steve

June 22nd, 2011, 5:06 pm #9

It looks exactly like Steve's design to me.

June 22nd, 2011, 5:53 pm #10

Steve
before you question my integrity! Please just read all the posts, cause that's not the way it is. Also, could it maybe be the embarassment of  your design that fails prematurly? I've said my peice and frankly Scarlett.....well ya know the rest!

This subject is closed in my book.

Rich