650-700 FPS .22?

650-700 FPS .22?

April 9th, 2012, 4:55 am #1

I have a new CS 2400KT .22 caliber Carbine with an 18" barrel. I do not have a chrony and don't know what the stock FPS is. Maybe 550? I would like the gun to be at least 650 and not eat up CO2 cartridges too bad. I would at least like 25 good full power shots. I'm new to CO2 and do not know where to start. I know maybe a boss valve but I've heard also to get one through Mountain Air Custom airguns. I know airguns are like race car parts, Your airflow is only as good as it's weakest point! So just dropping in a high flow valve may not be what I need. What is the HDD I see you talking about? Like I said, I want more power but don't want to only get 10-15 shots per 12 gram cartridges. Is this at all possible? Thanks

April 9th, 2012, 9:18 am #2

Scott I don't think you will get that many shots with that high power. If you do some searches on the forum you should find the mods that will help you out.

Opening up the transfer port and valve mods will get you some more fps without using to much more air.

A power adjuster and or heavier hammer springs will get you the power you are looking for but uses more air, but is reversable.

You can ease up or go back a lighter spring when you want more shots.

Hard to adjust and tune without the crony.

What do you want to do with the gun? Target, pests, hunting?

April 9th, 2012, 1:58 pm #3

I have a new CS 2400KT .22 caliber Carbine with an 18" barrel. I do not have a chrony and don't know what the stock FPS is. Maybe 550? I would like the gun to be at least 650 and not eat up CO2 cartridges too bad. I would at least like 25 good full power shots. I'm new to CO2 and do not know where to start. I know maybe a boss valve but I've heard also to get one through Mountain Air Custom airguns. I know airguns are like race car parts, Your airflow is only as good as it's weakest point! So just dropping in a high flow valve may not be what I need. What is the HDD I see you talking about? Like I said, I want more power but don't want to only get 10-15 shots per 12 gram cartridges. Is this at all possible? Thanks
from 1 cartridge using a HDD. The faster you go, the lower your shot count.

Here is a .22 pistol I built with a 12" barrel. If I would have added an extended probe I suspect I could have hit 550 fps without any additional gas use. 3% was what an extended probe yielded from my experience. IIRC, 5 fps more, per inch of additional barrel, is an estimate of performance gain used as a rule of thumb although not a certainty.

April 9th, 2012, 3:03 pm #4

So your suggesting the Boss Valve, HDD, and power adjuster. Those three things should up the power to about 600 because of my longer 18" barrel and still get around 25 good shots? The gun is used for plinking and some squirrel hunting.

April 9th, 2012, 5:28 pm #5

I would start with the poweradjuster, mod stock valve if you can. Take it from there. One mod at a time, until you get the results you happy with.

April 9th, 2012, 8:51 pm #6

the power adjuster is only a mean to fine tune the power you already have. it will preload your hammer spring but in my opinion that is not necessary. Free almost power is available with a bit of porting of the air port on the top of the valve. Use a dremel and make sure that you leave no burrs. then go to sears (hardaware store ) with the spring that sits behind the hammer. go to aisle with springs and find a replacement with stronger tension (be careful, to much tension will waste co2...). Another little trick i use is if i want to use the original spring, i get a 1/4 inch bearing and put it behind the spring. It preloads the spring for you. obviously, you may use two (front and back) but you may not be able to cock the gun afterwards... so try with one first and see if you like it. You may also use a plastic fish tank hose as a transfer port as long as it has a larger I.D. than the port. If you cut it a little longer than the transfer port (tiny bit) it creates a better seal). so far that is free or almost free.
The barrel lenght i agree that you might see about 5 fps per inch, so if you got it use it.. then clean the bore until it sparlkles (it might just be me but is good for 5 to 10 fps increase as the pellet finds less resistance on a polished bore, i have tried it in 3 guns and the gains are there, as small as it is... and it cost you nothing.)
So far you should see between 550 and 600 fps with crosman premiers. And with those mild tuning tips, i still get 27 to 28 consistent shots at 65 degress. when the weather gets hot I have seen 630 fps. Also see if your gun likes RWS hobbies... at 11.9 gr mine spits them out at 655 fps, little ragged hole at 20 yards, about 1 inch at 40. But they are devastating for hunting birds.

Gabe

April 9th, 2012, 9:06 pm #7

I would start with the poweradjuster, mod stock valve if you can. Take it from there. One mod at a time, until you get the results you happy with.
the power adjuster is only a mean to fine tune the power you already have. it will preload your hammer spring but in my opinion that is not necessary. Free almost power is available with a bit of porting of the air port on the top of the valve. Use a dremel and make sure that you leave no burrs. then go to sears (hardaware store ) with the spring that sits behind the hammer. go to aisle with springs and find a replacement with stronger tension (be careful, to much tension will waste co2...). Another little trick i use is if i want to use the original spring, i get a 1/4 inch bearing and put it behind the spring. It preloads the spring for you. obviously, you may use two (front and back) but you may not be able to cock the gun afterwards... so try with one first and see if you like it. You may also use a plastic fish tank hose as a transfer port as long as it has a larger I.D. than the port. If you cut it a little longer than the transfer port (tiny bit) it creates a better seal). so far that is free or almost free.
The barrel lenght i agree that you might see about 5 fps per inch, so if you got it use it.. then clean the bore until it sparlkles (it might just be me but is good for 5 to 10 fps increase as the pellet finds less resistance on a polished bore, i have tried it in 3 guns and the gains are there, as small as it is... and it cost you nothing.)
So far you should see between 550 and 600 fps with crosman premiers. And with those mild tuning tips, i still get 27 to 28 consistent shots at 65 degress. when the weather gets hot I have seen 630 fps. Also see if your gun likes RWS hobbies... at 11.9 gr mine spits them out at 655 fps, little ragged hole at 20 yards, about 1 inch at 40. But they are devastating for hunting birds.

Gabe

April 10th, 2012, 6:13 am #8

So your suggesting the Boss Valve, HDD, and power adjuster. Those three things should up the power to about 600 because of my longer 18" barrel and still get around 25 good shots? The gun is used for plinking and some squirrel hunting.
The power adjuster just allows for quick changing of hammer spring preload. It is really great to be able to dial in your power/efficiency.

The Boss valve works if you don't want to mod the valve yourself, but the technical section of the forum can show you how to get the same power from a stock valve.

I don't like to over-spring. The stock springs with a power adjuster has always been enough for me. They are actually a little too much IMO, I dial them back. If you want power at the cost of CO2, over-spring.

April 10th, 2012, 9:18 am #9

I understand the power adjuster being a preload on the spring.

The power adjuster will allow for easier spring changes and adjustments.

I always found it a lot easier to swap out a hammer spring by unscrewing my power adjuster than to have to tear apart the gun each time you want to try a new spring.

April 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm #10

Thenks for the suggestions. I'm new to these guns so I don't know much about modding them yet and I'm actually a little scared to open it up. I opened a Crosman 2200 magnum one time, springs shot everywhere and I ended up having to buy a new gun. It would help if I had a video of a complete teardown of one of these guns. I can't find one anywhere. It would be great if someone would make one for us new to these guns. I guess in reality, 600 FPS would be around the most I should look for before it starts eating up CO2's huh? Thanks for the help..........