2240 valve face seal

2240 valve face seal

May 4th, 2012, 10:20 pm #1

My 2240 is leaking co2 every time I fire it, and I think I have narrowed it down to the seal on the valve face where the co2 cart comes in contact with the valve face. Is there a readily available o-ring or neoprene washer at the hardware store that is the right size to replace that seal, or do I need to go through the hassle of contacting Crosman and getting a new one? I am trying to get this 2240 up and running so I can sell it to help fund a P-rod, so the sooner the better!
Thanks in advance,
Chris

May 5th, 2012, 1:15 am #2

Contact an airgunsmith for the seal. Don't know where you are, but here are a few that could supply the part quicker than Crosman.

Smith Airgun Repair
Bryan & Associates
Mac1 Airgun Distributors
AB Airguns

May 5th, 2012, 5:04 am #3

My 2240 is leaking co2 every time I fire it, and I think I have narrowed it down to the seal on the valve face where the co2 cart comes in contact with the valve face. Is there a readily available o-ring or neoprene washer at the hardware store that is the right size to replace that seal, or do I need to go through the hassle of contacting Crosman and getting a new one? I am trying to get this 2240 up and running so I can sell it to help fund a P-rod, so the sooner the better!
Thanks in advance,
Chris
... if the valve face seal were bad, it would leak all the time once the caplet was punctured, firing or not.

Sounds more like the stem seal is failing to seal immediately after each shot, if so it will leak from the breech or barrel.

you're scared ? go get a dog ... I'd rather die standing than live on my knees

May 5th, 2012, 9:53 pm #4

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Where are you, and what do you want for it as-is ?

May 6th, 2012, 1:00 am #5

Thanks in advance,
Chris
...so I heated it up and removed it. Is it possible to get a new seal from Crosman, or do I need to order the whole valve stem? Or, even better yet, is there an o-ring I can get at the hardware store that will do the job?
Thanks,
Chris

May 6th, 2012, 1:07 am #6

Where are you, and what do you want for it as-is ?
...and I think I am going to fix it before selling it. It needs a new valve stem seal. It has several mods, so I was thinking $110 when it's up and running.
Chris

May 6th, 2012, 2:29 am #7

...so I heated it up and removed it. Is it possible to get a new seal from Crosman, or do I need to order the whole valve stem? Or, even better yet, is there an o-ring I can get at the hardware store that will do the job?
Thanks,
Chris
... by chucking the stem in a cordless or drill press and spinning it at low speeds while "shaving" the old seal surface with a one edge blade or exacto knife to create a new even surface.

I have saved 4 out of 5 seals this way, but too late if you heated/removed the old seal. O-rings won't hold up for long.

Just toss it & order a new stem.

you're scared ? go get a dog ... I'd rather die standing than live on my knees

May 6th, 2012, 11:55 am #8

Thanks,
Chris
Replace all the seals and valve stem now. Don't try to fix one thing only to have to hunt down the next leak somewhere else while trying to remember what seals are newer and which ones are older.

May 7th, 2012, 12:40 am #9

Thanks in advance,
Chris
One for sale.....contact me

May 7th, 2012, 2:11 am #10

...paid $342 shipped.
Thanks anyhow,
Chris