1760 Barrels and other 760 stuff

1760 Barrels and other 760 stuff

October 5th, 2011, 11:33 am #1

Finally remembered to order a 1760 barrel crom Crosman for my 760 project. I had a few back-up plans just in case they were out of stock again!

I've been plinking with the smoothbore and to be honest it does a pretty good job. Couldn't get it to group really at all, but offhand shooting at small meds bottles and teaspoon spinners, I was nailing nearly evey shot. Haven't tried it with BB's yet.

When I ordered the new barrel I also ordered an extra barrel support/breach block/whatchamacallit thingy that goes on the breach end of the 760 barrel. Maybe after the build-off I'll swap the smoothbore back in if it proves to be accurate with BB's. Sometimes a guy just needs a REAL accurate BB gun! LOL

Tried a few different scopes while plinking and, of all things, the one that seemed to work best, at least for me, was a 2x20 pistol scope scout-mounted on the barrel. Geez, I have a nice little carbine with built in scope rails for a change, and I'm still trying the Benji/Dan scout mount thing!

I plink, therefore I am.

October 5th, 2011, 12:08 pm #2

them dove tail block thingys that fit over the barrel so you can put a scope on? The ones I see a lot of on ebay and supposedly work on the old 140s? I'm curious to know how well those work...

"Sometimes a guy just needs a REAL accurate BB gun! LOL"

Yea, I know what you mean... After I replaced my barrel, I have nothing to shoot BBs with but it's not like my 760 was accurate when I first got it...

October 5th, 2011, 1:19 pm #3

... you got it, them dove tail block thingys! I love technical jargon! lol

I've had good luck with them on several rifles, but I've seen where others weren't as fortunate.

I had a 760 once that I shot a 146 out of 200 at 10 meters offhand with BB's. I had to use it for parts to fix some other guns, but I saved that barrel!

I plink, therefore I am.

October 5th, 2011, 1:38 pm #4

Finally remembered to order a 1760 barrel crom Crosman for my 760 project. I had a few back-up plans just in case they were out of stock again!

I've been plinking with the smoothbore and to be honest it does a pretty good job. Couldn't get it to group really at all, but offhand shooting at small meds bottles and teaspoon spinners, I was nailing nearly evey shot. Haven't tried it with BB's yet.

When I ordered the new barrel I also ordered an extra barrel support/breach block/whatchamacallit thingy that goes on the breach end of the 760 barrel. Maybe after the build-off I'll swap the smoothbore back in if it proves to be accurate with BB's. Sometimes a guy just needs a REAL accurate BB gun! LOL

Tried a few different scopes while plinking and, of all things, the one that seemed to work best, at least for me, was a 2x20 pistol scope scout-mounted on the barrel. Geez, I have a nice little carbine with built in scope rails for a change, and I'm still trying the Benji/Dan scout mount thing!

I plink, therefore I am.
whats the most accurate you have gotten your previous conversions ?? i didnt even test mine before ripping it apart and makin a sidepumper lol

October 5th, 2011, 2:14 pm #5

I have one other 760 converted to a rifled barrel that I can shoot dime-size 10 shot groups at 20 to 25 yards just sitting on the ground without using a shooting table and rest.

I plink, therefore I am.

October 5th, 2011, 2:21 pm #6

i know if dan can get his trigger like the one on his mrod , he will have a super accurate gun givenn his current configuration.(cant speak on that lol) Im hoping for dimes at 20yrds, thats my goal , although the stock rifling is very shallow , almost like the old straw barrels shallow.. so soft or very large pellets will be key...need to get some minor machining done , then my sidepumper will be back together , then ill test for accuracy.My real goal in the buildoff, to have a gun i can shoot relaibly and quietly for yrs after the buildoff is over, so no stone will go unturned.I dont want it to be like the 201 challenge where the gun was junk right after the build never to be shot again, thats a big rreason why more people joined this time , because the gun wont be garbage afterwards.

October 5th, 2011, 3:28 pm #7

can see where is room (figuratively and literally) for some adjustemnts to the trigger. figure that alone will be an evening's work.

wonder what we'd have to offer Steve n NC for some guidance on that?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

October 5th, 2011, 3:54 pm #8

i know if dan can get his trigger like the one on his mrod , he will have a super accurate gun givenn his current configuration.(cant speak on that lol) Im hoping for dimes at 20yrds, thats my goal , although the stock rifling is very shallow , almost like the old straw barrels shallow.. so soft or very large pellets will be key...need to get some minor machining done , then my sidepumper will be back together , then ill test for accuracy.My real goal in the buildoff, to have a gun i can shoot relaibly and quietly for yrs after the buildoff is over, so no stone will go unturned.I dont want it to be like the 201 challenge where the gun was junk right after the build never to be shot again, thats a big rreason why more people joined this time , because the gun wont be garbage afterwards.
There is plenty of potential even in the current plastic framed 760's.
The rifle I mentioned also had the trigger modded. I've modded the triggers on all my 760 and 66 rifles. They are real easy to improve. This new one will get the usual routine of my secret herbs and spices! Maybe try some new seasonings this time too.

I will say this is my first go around with power mods on a 760 as power wasn't a priority for just plinking in the backyard. Plus, until you can make a tighter breach seal adding more air will probably just blow back in your face. Been trying to work that one out while still using the pellet magazine.

I plink, therefore I am.

October 5th, 2011, 8:56 pm #9

As I mentioned before, you probably can use a Duplex Head Nail (Double Head Nail) that has a comparative size in place of the magnet... I know I've seen some before when I was no longer into airguns.... You probably could sandwich a small "o" ring between the plastic bolt and the bottom head... Then chop off the top head.. If you couldn't find the perfect size, I'm sure you could chuck it into a drill and file it down... This may even work on the 2100...

October 5th, 2011, 9:06 pm #10

and that will still let the bolt pushed thru the mag/clip?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic