13xx caliber "quick-change"?

13xx caliber "quick-change"?

June 10th, 2011, 4:54 pm #1

Hello all,
So, an incident a couple of days ago caused me to seriously reconsider settling for a .177 cal 1377: a raccoon killed and beheaded my pet rabbit, leaving me minus one pet and plus one gruesome animal to clean up (not the first -- the coon got one of my chickens as well). Could have left it overnight, the coon would have come back to get it, but I figured in honor of my rabbit I'll bury it .

I'm thinking about buying the 1377 and converting it to .22 cal just to have some killing power behind it, as I don't have any other airguns in .22 nor any powerful enough in .177 to take down a raccoon. (LOL, I was even considering using my PVC spud cannon with 3/8" steel rod stubs sharpened at the end, camping overnight in my backyard!) I know the general consensus is that even a .22 1322 is barely adequate to take out a raccoon, but I assure you I will get a well placed shot. If a .177 13xx can somehow take down a raccoon (at say 650 fps), someone please tell me.
However if I make the change to .22, I'm sure I'll be missing the .177 as the pellets are cheaper, cheaper, cheaper... plus it's nice to have all my guns in a single caliber. And besides if this is going to be an all around gun, I'm not sure if a .22 cal is going to be the best to take along on trips and do a whole lot of plinking (wastes pellets).

Only other option I can think of is a caliber "quick change" -- like the kind you would find on a Beeman breakbarrel or a Talon, a quick screwing out of the barrel.
I heard that the 13xx requires a breech and bolt change, as well as the barrel, in order to become a .22.

Is it possible at all to have some sort of "quick change" barrel system to easily swap between .177 to .22 on a 13xx?

June 10th, 2011, 5:19 pm #2

...the breech between .177 and .22 are compatible - no extra breech is needed. If you get an aftermarket bolt probe (Mellon air) they will work for both calibers. However, a larger o-ring is needed for the .22 cal.

One way I have thought up os to use a riser breech with knurled screw securing the barrel instead of the set screw, and make the transfer seal like a detent. The seal would be spring assisted upward to the barrel. Some re-working of the barrel transfer area will permit this.

In all, the swap will not be a few seconds no matter how you go about it with stock parts.

Honestly, I'd buy an inexpensive springer to do the job, in .22 cal. A 1377 is pushing it even if you place the shot well.

There are ways to get a 1377 be a 12 ft/lb machine where one pump equals 1 ft/lb - 12 pumps to 12 ft/lbs. Requires valve reduction, beefed up front end pivot point and great piston seal.

The 1377 limitation really is in the piston stroke v. the valve volume. Takes too many pumps in stock form to obtain the proper pressures.

A little carbine I made will shoot 7.9 grainers 690-710 range on 12 pumps, which is only a mid 8 ft/lbs. Could go more on the power...

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

June 10th, 2011, 5:41 pm #3

Buying the steel breech from Crosman, buying the extended bolt probe from Mellon air, an extra .22 cal o-ring, and a .22 barrel (and maybe a .177 longer barrel)? Is the transfer port really necessary (I've heard that it doesn't make whole lot of difference in power)?

All I'd have to do is use an allen key to remove the set screw holding barrel, swap out the o-ring, slide the other barrel in, tighten the screw?

BTW, I don't have the money for both a 13xx and a .22 springer right now. Don't want to get a .22 springer just for this job. (EDIT: might be able to sell my Gamo 640 Carbine and use the money in addition to another sold 760 stock to buy the Beeman. I can't seem to get anymore buyers though!!! Please!!!) Was merely wondering about possible other mods to my 13xx that would make it a better game getting gun. If not raccoon, maybe squirrel or rabbit or crow in .22 would benefit. If I get the raccoon with an eye shot will that be enough in .177 @ 600 fps? how about in a 1322 @ 530 fps?
Last edited by plinkin on June 10th, 2011, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2011, 8:05 pm #4

Hello all,
So, an incident a couple of days ago caused me to seriously reconsider settling for a .177 cal 1377: a raccoon killed and beheaded my pet rabbit, leaving me minus one pet and plus one gruesome animal to clean up (not the first -- the coon got one of my chickens as well). Could have left it overnight, the coon would have come back to get it, but I figured in honor of my rabbit I'll bury it .

I'm thinking about buying the 1377 and converting it to .22 cal just to have some killing power behind it, as I don't have any other airguns in .22 nor any powerful enough in .177 to take down a raccoon. (LOL, I was even considering using my PVC spud cannon with 3/8" steel rod stubs sharpened at the end, camping overnight in my backyard!) I know the general consensus is that even a .22 1322 is barely adequate to take out a raccoon, but I assure you I will get a well placed shot. If a .177 13xx can somehow take down a raccoon (at say 650 fps), someone please tell me.
However if I make the change to .22, I'm sure I'll be missing the .177 as the pellets are cheaper, cheaper, cheaper... plus it's nice to have all my guns in a single caliber. And besides if this is going to be an all around gun, I'm not sure if a .22 cal is going to be the best to take along on trips and do a whole lot of plinking (wastes pellets).

Only other option I can think of is a caliber "quick change" -- like the kind you would find on a Beeman breakbarrel or a Talon, a quick screwing out of the barrel.
I heard that the 13xx requires a breech and bolt change, as well as the barrel, in order to become a .22.

Is it possible at all to have some sort of "quick change" barrel system to easily swap between .177 to .22 on a 13xx?
... see about getting a trap for the coon. You might be able rent or borrow a trap from the DNR, Animal Control or whatever.

Or find someone who already has a more powerful gun to take care of the problem.

The coon could kill again before you round up all the parts to build your convertable pistol.

I plink, therefore I am.

June 10th, 2011, 8:16 pm #5

Buying the steel breech from Crosman, buying the extended bolt probe from Mellon air, an extra .22 cal o-ring, and a .22 barrel (and maybe a .177 longer barrel)? Is the transfer port really necessary (I've heard that it doesn't make whole lot of difference in power)?

All I'd have to do is use an allen key to remove the set screw holding barrel, swap out the o-ring, slide the other barrel in, tighten the screw?

BTW, I don't have the money for both a 13xx and a .22 springer right now. Don't want to get a .22 springer just for this job. (EDIT: might be able to sell my Gamo 640 Carbine and use the money in addition to another sold 760 stock to buy the Beeman. I can't seem to get anymore buyers though!!! Please!!!) Was merely wondering about possible other mods to my 13xx that would make it a better game getting gun. If not raccoon, maybe squirrel or rabbit or crow in .22 would benefit. If I get the raccoon with an eye shot will that be enough in .177 @ 600 fps? how about in a 1322 @ 530 fps?
Buy the 22 barrel (10") and a probe from Mellon. Now get a plastic breech. All set for 22 conversion. Only two screws to deal with. I suggest a stainless steel breech screw to replace the pissy gonna strip the head allen screw.
Another solution may be get a Beeman 1073 rifle. Barrels swap out with .177 and .22. $98.00 at walmart. Much more power, better trigger than a Crosman springer even with an after market trigger, and when the job is done back to .177.
Get both! Dave

June 10th, 2011, 9:02 pm #6

... see about getting a trap for the coon. You might be able rent or borrow a trap from the DNR, Animal Control or whatever.

Or find someone who already has a more powerful gun to take care of the problem.

The coon could kill again before you round up all the parts to build your convertable pistol.

I plink, therefore I am.
My dad left the bunny outside, wanted it to roam around freely in the grass (outside the fenced up, completely safe chicken coop) overnight. Next day -- dead body.

The following night, we had a barbecue with some of the youth leaders from my church, a campfire, and we spotted the raccoon on the fence. After shining it down, it ran away and we baited it with some of my dad's killer smoked barbecue . Did the trick, raccoon came, I shot it with my Gamo 640 Carbine (in .177 shoots ~600 fps) behind the neck. It was running and I couldn't get a clear shot in the eye or behind the eye. It jumped about a foot, and just kept on running. But I think it knows that of all the houses in the neighborhood, we're not the friendliest

Just as a side story. But yeah, all the animals are safe and the coon hunting can wait until I get my convertible pistol.

p.s. live traps are out of the question -- they are $25 to rent from the local shelter. Boo.... hiss...
I could make my own trap, be it live trap, spear trap, or otherwise, but where's the challenge in that???
Last edited by plinkin on June 10th, 2011, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2011, 9:19 pm #7

Buy the 22 barrel (10") and a probe from Mellon. Now get a plastic breech. All set for 22 conversion. Only two screws to deal with. I suggest a stainless steel breech screw to replace the pissy gonna strip the head allen screw.
Another solution may be get a Beeman 1073 rifle. Barrels swap out with .177 and .22. $98.00 at walmart. Much more power, better trigger than a Crosman springer even with an after market trigger, and when the job is done back to .177.
Get both! Dave
How will I mount a scope besides a barrel mount (which, by the way, can anyone tell me more about it?)?

Speaking of which, would a CB breech work for a quick caliber change? That's what I'm thinking about going for.
Last edited by plinkin on June 12th, 2011, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2011, 10:40 pm #8

My dad left the bunny outside, wanted it to roam around freely in the grass (outside the fenced up, completely safe chicken coop) overnight. Next day -- dead body.

The following night, we had a barbecue with some of the youth leaders from my church, a campfire, and we spotted the raccoon on the fence. After shining it down, it ran away and we baited it with some of my dad's killer smoked barbecue . Did the trick, raccoon came, I shot it with my Gamo 640 Carbine (in .177 shoots ~600 fps) behind the neck. It was running and I couldn't get a clear shot in the eye or behind the eye. It jumped about a foot, and just kept on running. But I think it knows that of all the houses in the neighborhood, we're not the friendliest

Just as a side story. But yeah, all the animals are safe and the coon hunting can wait until I get my convertible pistol.

p.s. live traps are out of the question -- they are $25 to rent from the local shelter. Boo.... hiss...
I could make my own trap, be it live trap, spear trap, or otherwise, but where's the challenge in that???
Congrats on your hit! nt

June 10th, 2011, 10:47 pm #9

Too bad it wasn't a kill. The death of my two pets would have been avenged!!!
Just imagine if that shot was from my potato cannon...

June 11th, 2011, 1:09 am #10

It shall die eventually, from the wound you inflicted The potato gun shot would have been awesome!