1377 Disassembly Question

1377 Disassembly Question

June 29th, 2012, 7:20 pm #1

I got a old 1377 the other day and want to put new seals in, the pin holding the pump arm is different than other 1377's iv seen so I wanted to be sure how to get it out before I tore it up. Here are some pictures. [/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

June 29th, 2012, 7:33 pm #2

June 29th, 2012, 7:43 pm #3

I am guessing I have to punch the inner part, the outer pieces are larger diameter than the hole.

June 29th, 2012, 7:48 pm #4

June 29th, 2012, 8:23 pm #5

I got a old 1377 the other day and want to put new seals in, the pin holding the pump arm is different than other 1377's iv seen so I wanted to be sure how to get it out before I tore it up. Here are some pictures. [/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
My early model 1377 has a solid pin for the pivot, but one end has a head similar to a nail and a C-clip goes into a groove on the other end.

Maybe the pin is capped on the ends and you need to pry off one of the caps? Just a guess.

Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple
- Mikhail Kalashnikov

June 29th, 2012, 9:46 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Had to pry off a cap on one side and punch out the pin, one side had a nail head appearance and the other the cap/ring retainer. If I were to do it over I would put down some tape right up against the cap and gently lift it off with an old pair of wire cutters.

I haven't tried to put it back yet as I am waiting on a new valve.

Good luck with it

James S

June 29th, 2012, 10:52 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
1322 & 1300 had a retaining pin and retaining clip, which were replaced with roll pins in later models. the clip is a "e" clip and the pin has a nail like flat on one side and the side that has the clip is cone shaped with a slot for the clip.
to remove the clip, you have to pry it out with a small screwdriver or pick of some kind. when you do it, put a towel or something to keep the clip from flying off. if you loose that clip you will have to find a roll pin.
if you look as Mike C's 13xx sights he use's a solid pin but attaches it with a set screw.
I cant tell from your pic's
I looked at all my files and found this retaining pin and clip on a Phase I 760, it gives ya a good look

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal

June 29th, 2012, 10:56 pm #8

Had to pry off a cap on one side and punch out the pin, one side had a nail head appearance and the other the cap/ring retainer. If I were to do it over I would put down some tape right up against the cap and gently lift it off with an old pair of wire cutters.

I haven't tried to put it back yet as I am waiting on a new valve.

Good luck with it

James S
e and c clips putting that clip back on is just the same. this set up was way better imho than the newer "roll pin" on todays guns. the new pins can weaken with use where as the old e clip/pin wouldn't come out unless you removed the clip.

Buster
\\\ X ////

June 29th, 2012, 10:58 pm #9

My early model 1377 has a solid pin for the pivot, but one end has a head similar to a nail and a C-clip goes into a groove on the other end.

Maybe the pin is capped on the ends and you need to pry off one of the caps? Just a guess.

Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple
- Mikhail Kalashnikov
that same pin/clip. see my post below, I found the that pic on a 760 model I schematic.

Buster
\\\ X ////

June 30th, 2012, 1:19 am #10

e and c clips putting that clip back on is just the same. this set up was way better imho than the newer "roll pin" on todays guns. the new pins can weaken with use where as the old e clip/pin wouldn't come out unless you removed the clip.

Buster
\\\ X ////
I went back and looked at the parts again and it is a curious circle clip that goes into a shallow groove but the sides of the groove are beveled to the point that the clip can be pinched out for lack of a better word there was no damage to the parts after removal. Also the clip doesn't really have a way to grasp the ends to spread it to lift it over. I wasn't to concerned about the pin itself if it was damaged or inferior it would be replace with a solid pin, however I really like the one that was there originally. The 1377 I have has never been apart previously
in fact I couldn't see the ends of the clip before removal.

Note that if you do make your own pivot pin use a quality solid metal pin I have used sections of drill bits but prefer a section of a good quality screwdriver blade, of the proper diameter, that is about as tough as you will ever need. I use e clips on both ends. The first ones I made were from 7018 welding rod, but they bent.

James S
Last edited by jamesinadvance on June 30th, 2012, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.