1/2" high on first shot then back to normal. Any ideas?

1/2" high on first shot then back to normal. Any ideas?

January 23rd, 2011, 1:30 am #1

(1377, 16" barrel)
I pumped up my 1377 this morning and left it waiting for a prospective target to wander in. Well this never did happen so eventually I took a practice shot and was about 1/2" high at 10 yds. Next two shots hit the sheetrock screw head I was aiming for. This isn't the first time I have experienced this .
Is it better not to pump the gun up until your ready to shoot? When I sighted it in it wasn't sitting around very long between shots.
When people target shoot competitively , do the first shoot a couple of rounds to get thing settled in?
When you pump it up, surely the air is heated. As it sits the air cools and I would think that it would loose some pressure. This should make it shoot low not high right?

January 23rd, 2011, 1:59 am #2

...the piston assembly being pushed toward the muzzle forcing the front plug and barrel upward. I've noticed that many stock 1377 front plugs are a bit loose in the tube (little rotational upon the pivot pin). Put just the plug in and the pin, now see if it acts like a teeter totter in the tube. If so, any force from within the tube toward the muzzle will raise the barrel.

Get a 2289 barrel band/front plug. They tend to fit a lot more snug.

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

January 23rd, 2011, 1:47 pm #3

(1377, 16" barrel)
I pumped up my 1377 this morning and left it waiting for a prospective target to wander in. Well this never did happen so eventually I took a practice shot and was about 1/2" high at 10 yds. Next two shots hit the sheetrock screw head I was aiming for. This isn't the first time I have experienced this .
Is it better not to pump the gun up until your ready to shoot? When I sighted it in it wasn't sitting around very long between shots.
When people target shoot competitively , do the first shoot a couple of rounds to get thing settled in?
When you pump it up, surely the air is heated. As it sits the air cools and I would think that it would loose some pressure. This should make it shoot low not high right?
that the gun is loosing some pressure as it sits, which can change the stress on the frame and tube, which can change the direction the barrel is pointing.