What brand is your sewing machine and would you recommend it?

What brand is your sewing machine and would you recommend it?

April 16th, 2012, 3:02 pm #1

I'm considering a Toyota sewing machine. (Yes Toyota, I'd never heard of it either! LOL) I have a lot of research to do on it, but for the money I'm thinking it might be what I want.

April 16th, 2012, 3:08 pm #2

I have had two sewing machines since 1964 and both were Kenmores. They are a very good value for the money, especially in the under-$200 range.

I've read that the Brother Runway model, priced at well under $200, is one of the best machines out there. If I were buying a sewing machine, that would be it.

Do not buy a Singer, unless it is one of the pre-1960s old black models that only does a straight stitch (if you can find one!). I wouldn't buy a Viking or Bernina unless I were a serious seamstress or quilter.

April 16th, 2012, 4:59 pm #3

I'm considering a Toyota sewing machine. (Yes Toyota, I'd never heard of it either! LOL) I have a lot of research to do on it, but for the money I'm thinking it might be what I want.
its an expensive model but I know they have basic machine. If you have a sewing machine shop I would go and check out the machines. You can try them out ask questions and see what you are looking for. This is a good way to find out what you need a machine to do and what isn't worth paying for. I bought mine at a shop and it came with lessons which was good to check out and ask questions about that one.

I learned to sew on a Singer the basic black one, it belonged to my grandma. I inherited that one but haven't sewed on it since I received it. First machine I bought was a basic Kenmore, it was a good machine and sold it when I moved up. I had a Singer which was an ok machine but started having more problems than I wanted to keep messing with, I gave that one away. I think I had another but can't remember it. I now have the Janome and its the one I'll keep until I quit sewing.

Another thing I might do is ask around. My daughter-in-law who doesn't sew but wants to learn received a machine from my mother who had quit sewing. Its a Kenmore and she also received all her supplies and fabric. I'm giving her lessons.

April 16th, 2012, 5:14 pm #4

It's a grand old machine. It looks pretty cool too. You can usually find them running around $200-300, though I've seen them as low as $100 on craigslist.

I like that it's built to last (obviously) and it's something I can take apart and play with, clean and lube, etc.
Last edited by Stacey_K on April 16th, 2012, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2012, 5:21 pm #5

It is a zigzag machine, usually with cams, made in the '50s and '60s. It's kind of a pinkish beige, if you ever run across one used. I'm told it's the last good machine Singer made. I agree with Stacey--it's a dandy!
Last edited by MaxineS on April 18th, 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2012, 5:23 pm #6

I don't know the model. But I wouldn't trade my sewing machine for anything. It's 21 years old and going strong. The original cost was $99, it's repaid that investment a thousand times over. Before this one I had a singer that I despised.

April 16th, 2012, 5:24 pm #7

It is a zigzag machine, usually with cams, made in the '50s and '60s. It's kind of a pinkish beige, if you ever run across one used. I'm told it's the last good machine Singer made. I agree with Stacey--it's a dandy!
I think it has like 30 something stitch combinations? I took an old t-shirt once and just worked through the cam combinations to see what all it could do. Nearly broke a needle too doing that as some of the stitches need different feet!

April 16th, 2012, 6:23 pm #8

and I wouldn't have anything else. It was a hand me down from my mother, but it is probably 20 years old and still going strong.

April 16th, 2012, 11:36 pm #9

and yes I'd recommend it.

April 16th, 2012, 11:43 pm #10

I think it has like 30 something stitch combinations? I took an old t-shirt once and just worked through the cam combinations to see what all it could do. Nearly broke a needle too doing that as some of the stitches need different feet!
who has two very nice very expensive machines (Bernina and Pfaff) still swears by her Singer 401a

Myra in West Texas