What are your Christmas/Christmas eve menus?

What are your Christmas/Christmas eve menus?

December 23rd, 2011, 4:24 pm #1

I have no idea what we will be having for Christmas eve. I'll be involved in a wrapping frenzy with little time to cook. I'd like to have lasagna, but no time to make it, even though I have most of the ingredients. Sounds like a day to dust off the Crock Pot.

Christmas dinner will be:
Roast prime rib with horseradish sauce
Spinach salad (DH to make)
Creamed peas and potatoes
Frozen fruit salad - it's on the recipe boardhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/501970/m ... lad+recipe
Hot rolls (DS to bring)
Pie (Sara's mother to bring)
Edited to add--deviled eggs! No holiday at my house would be complete without 'em!
Last edited by MaxineS on December 23rd, 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 23rd, 2011, 4:48 pm #2

Christmas Eve:

younger son is making a Southwestern-inspired chicken soup
I am making cheese enchiladas
dessert is a (store-bought) banana cream pie
And we're having Margaritas

Christmas Day:

It will just be DH and me so I'm making beef stew and biscuits

December 23rd, 2011, 4:54 pm #3

I have no idea what we will be having for Christmas eve. I'll be involved in a wrapping frenzy with little time to cook. I'd like to have lasagna, but no time to make it, even though I have most of the ingredients. Sounds like a day to dust off the Crock Pot.

Frozen fruit salad - it's on the recipe boardhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/501970/m ... lad+recipe
Hot rolls (DS to bring)
Edited to add--deviled eggs! No holiday at my house would be complete without 'em!
KFC.

We get out of church about 5:30 or 6:00 - do the KFC drive through on the way home.

(growing up was mashed potatoes with brown butter, green beans, weisswurst and cauliflower - two years ago i just didn't feel like cooking when church let out - we still had wrapping etc... Dh made the suggestion of KFC as a joke - i was so stressed i burst into tears, and so a tradition was born!)

We're going to BIL's Christmas day - most likely HAM. (growing up was goose - an i've done that at home in the past - but at current prices it won't happen again till we hit the lottery!)

December 23rd, 2011, 5:01 pm #4

Hot rolls (DS to bring)
We are forging ahead with new traditions. Christmas Eve will be my MIL's famous corn chowder and some munchies. The plan is to watch Christmas movies/ plan games and keep my husband off his laptop.

Christmas morning will be a breakfast casserole and monkey bread for the kids.

Christmas dinner will be rib roast, some sort of potato and my mom's broccoli. May throw something else in if I feel inspired.

Monday we are going to my sister's. I will con her into making cream cheese sandwich since I am schlepping over an hour again to her house.

December 23rd, 2011, 5:03 pm #5

Hot rolls (DS to bring)
On Christmas Eve my family all gets together... we will be having Ham and my part of the potluck is deviled eggs and homemade rolls..green bean casserole, scalloped potatoes, pies, and I am sure other things I didnt hear about. I am also thinking about bringing a turkey breast since SS pregnant GF doesn't want to eat ham. I am also thinking about doing a Turkey breast for Christmas dinner It will be just DH, DD, and myself...wish I had taken the turkey out I would have made my own turkey breast roasts..

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 23rd, 2011, 5:48 pm #6

We are forging ahead with new traditions. Christmas Eve will be my MIL's famous corn chowder and some munchies. The plan is to watch Christmas movies/ plan games and keep my husband off his laptop.

Christmas morning will be a breakfast casserole and monkey bread for the kids.

Christmas dinner will be rib roast, some sort of potato and my mom's broccoli. May throw something else in if I feel inspired.

Monday we are going to my sister's. I will con her into making cream cheese sandwich since I am schlepping over an hour again to her house.
That reminds me of my favorite Aunt. She used to love cream cheese, grape jelly and walnuts on white bread

December 23rd, 2011, 6:57 pm #7

KFC.

We get out of church about 5:30 or 6:00 - do the KFC drive through on the way home.

(growing up was mashed potatoes with brown butter, green beans, weisswurst and cauliflower - two years ago i just didn't feel like cooking when church let out - we still had wrapping etc... Dh made the suggestion of KFC as a joke - i was so stressed i burst into tears, and so a tradition was born!)

We're going to BIL's Christmas day - most likely HAM. (growing up was goose - an i've done that at home in the past - but at current prices it won't happen again till we hit the lottery!)
for the past 8 years it's been the same thing. Flylady's cinnamon buns (I hate calling them monkey bread)

One of these years i'll make the frozen rolls myself so i can make them smaller and have more sugar cinnamon goo in betwixt the bread part!

December 23rd, 2011, 7:35 pm #8

Hot rolls (DS to bring)
Christmas Eve we have an assortment of h'orsdoevres and pickles for supper. It's become a favourite tradition.

Christmas Morning is peameal bacon, croissants and sweet rolls with orange juice and coffee.

Christmas main meal will be turkey, stuffing, brussel sprouts, turnip, mashed potatoes and gravy. Dessert is assorted cookies and fruit cake.

Boxing Day is open house here with assorted cheeses, breads and cookies. Then leftovers for supper if anyone is still hungry.

December 24th, 2011, 3:13 pm #9

Hot rolls (DS to bring)
Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Salad
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potatoes
Sourdough Rolls
Birthday Cake for Jesus

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

December 24th, 2011, 6:33 pm #10

Hot rolls (DS to bring)
boneless pork chops
turnip greens
corn (DS grew it this summer)
roasted potatoes and carrots
broccoli (if I have some in the freezer) LOL
macaroni and cheese
fruit cocktail out of the can (for the kids)
rolls
hot wings (this is for DS--his request)

If I get ambitious, I'm making a white wine pound cake. If not, we already have a bunch of candy made. I am making dinner and taking it to MIL and FIL's house.

You can tell this is a well thought out meal. LOL I really haven't given it much thought. I bought the pork chops at the store a few minutes ago. The rest is just what came to mind. When I start cooking in a couple of hours I might even change my mind.

Tammy