what are you using up?

what are you using up?

February 16th, 2012, 7:53 pm #1

I've managed to use up one of the 3 canisters of oats... mostly by making muffins with them. We're just not big on eating oatmeal.... I had bought one of these and 2 were given to me....

Now I am trying to use up some cream of wheat. It's really close to it's use by date and is still aobut 7/8th of a full box... I don't like to toss stuff... I found this recipe for brownies to make with it, so I am going to try that. Anyone have any good recipes to use up cream of wheat?

http://creamofwheat.com/recipes/dessert ... ingredient

I'm also working on the "cream of..." soups I ended up with a few too many of.... I mixed some of the left over turkey with a can of cream of celery and that was good. I made a pork roast with a can of cream of mushroom...

What are you trying to use up?

Sheila

February 16th, 2012, 10:39 pm #2

These look good, got goot reviews. BTW, if you grind up the oats in your blender or food processor, you'll end up with oat flour. Use as you would AP flour.

Here's a link for more cr of wheat recipes:
http://creamofwheat.com/recipes/all/

February 16th, 2012, 10:49 pm #3

I've managed to use up one of the 3 canisters of oats... mostly by making muffins with them. We're just not big on eating oatmeal.... I had bought one of these and 2 were given to me....

Now I am trying to use up some cream of wheat. It's really close to it's use by date and is still aobut 7/8th of a full box... I don't like to toss stuff... I found this recipe for brownies to make with it, so I am going to try that. Anyone have any good recipes to use up cream of wheat?

I'm also working on the "cream of..." soups I ended up with a few too many of.... I mixed some of the left over turkey with a can of cream of celery and that was good. I made a pork roast with a can of cream of mushroom...

Sheila
I'm trying to eat down our stockpiles. Health and beauty aides cabinet is in good shape for now, got plenty of supplies in that dept for at least 6 months, same for cleaning supplies, laundry supplies.

Canned goods are taking a hit, but that's OK. We were gifted a ton of instant potatoes,canned yams, canned gravy, and cream mushroom soup, from a now single Mom who moved out of state, after putting the family home up for sale. DS is friends with her DD who stayed here to finish HS. I know that they were having financial difficulties, I suspect alot of the things given to us were from holiday baskets over recent years. Canned yams, canned soup, instant potatoes, gravy-those are very common ingredients added to those baskets. Just glad that someone could use them, she didn't want to transport them out of state, her former home is empty so it's all good.

Besides these gifted items, I am focusing on the following, trying to incorporate them into my menus:
canned green beans
canned cream corn
canned soups
pasta
rice, rice, rice (I found some large, glass jars (unearthed them) in my closet pantry-do we have rice!
dried beans
canned beans of several types
canned clams
various cake mixes
various holiday baking sprinkles
canned enchillada sauce
2 cans of Mexican style cooking soups
tomato paste
canned crab
canned peaches
cream of wheat (but we like it as hot cereal)
dried fruits
French's onions
Gatorade powder and iced tea powder mix (from DS's football playing days)
regular and herbal tea bags

February 17th, 2012, 12:51 am #4

These look good, got goot reviews. BTW, if you grind up the oats in your blender or food processor, you'll end up with oat flour. Use as you would AP flour.

Here's a link for more cr of wheat recipes:
http://creamofwheat.com/recipes/all/
Thanks... not too many of them appealed or they called for "packets" which I don't have or some other kind then what I have (plain, instant, in a box).... but I'm gonna try the brownie recipe....

February 17th, 2012, 2:57 pm #5

I'm trying to eat down our stockpiles. Health and beauty aides cabinet is in good shape for now, got plenty of supplies in that dept for at least 6 months, same for cleaning supplies, laundry supplies.

Canned goods are taking a hit, but that's OK. We were gifted a ton of instant potatoes,canned yams, canned gravy, and cream mushroom soup, from a now single Mom who moved out of state, after putting the family home up for sale. DS is friends with her DD who stayed here to finish HS. I know that they were having financial difficulties, I suspect alot of the things given to us were from holiday baskets over recent years. Canned yams, canned soup, instant potatoes, gravy-those are very common ingredients added to those baskets. Just glad that someone could use them, she didn't want to transport them out of state, her former home is empty so it's all good.

Besides these gifted items, I am focusing on the following, trying to incorporate them into my menus:
canned green beans
canned cream corn
canned soups
pasta
rice, rice, rice (I found some large, glass jars (unearthed them) in my closet pantry-do we have rice!
dried beans
canned beans of several types
canned clams
various cake mixes
various holiday baking sprinkles
canned enchillada sauce
2 cans of Mexican style cooking soups
tomato paste
canned crab
canned peaches
cream of wheat (but we like it as hot cereal)
dried fruits
French's onions
Gatorade powder and iced tea powder mix (from DS's football playing days)
regular and herbal tea bags
1) You could always donate the gatorade and tea powders to your local pee wee football group if you don't really want to drink it. Or your local Habitat for Humanity, for them to have for their volunteers when it starts getting hot outside. Tax deduction.

2) Do you like three bean salad? That would help you use up the canned beans and give you a salad alternative.

3) Cake mixes - if you want a change from cake, you can make the bars where you mix the cake mix w/ an egg and a stick of melted butter, pour in the pan, then mix 8 oz cream cheese and box of powdered sugar and spread over then bake. Fabulous! Plus I've heard of people making cookies form a cake mix (never done it myself).

4) canned clams and crab - make some kind of seafood chowder? Or stuffed mushrooms for something fancy (love them!).

EDIT: oops! I didn't see your mention of the 3 bean salad in your other thread. Ignore!

Last edited by Straitlover on February 17th, 2012, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 17th, 2012, 5:55 pm #6

1) You could always donate the gatorade and tea powders to your local pee wee football group if you don't really want to drink it. Or your local Habitat for Humanity, for them to have for their volunteers when it starts getting hot outside. Tax deduction.

Good idea, but we're using it up. Sugar is running low, the kids take reduced sugar, Aldi's "koolaid" in refillable bottles. these containers of mix are already open, so I doubt they would be used by others.

3) Cake mixes - if you want a change from cake, you can make the bars where you mix the cake mix w/ an egg and a stick of melted butter, pour in the pan, then mix 8 oz cream cheese and box of powdered sugar and spread over then bake. Fabulous! Plus I've heard of people making cookies form a cake mix (never done it myself).

Good idea, thanks. We also have a bit of cream cheese down cellar. Bought it for DD to make a cheese cake; she never got around to doing so

4) canned clams and crab - make some kind of seafood chowder? Or stuffed mushrooms for something fancy (love them!).

I already have plans for these: lone can of crab will be a swiss-crab impossible pie/crustless quiche for a Lenten dinner, the clams are going into homemade clam chowder

Keep the ideas flowing, please!

February 18th, 2012, 12:13 am #7

Sheila
I was down to the bottom and shopped today. I still have quite a bit of popcorn, some grains and nuts, but other than that the cupboards were empty.

February 18th, 2012, 12:20 am #8

Good idea, but we're using it up. Sugar is running low, the kids take reduced sugar, Aldi's "koolaid" in refillable bottles. these containers of mix are already open, so I doubt they would be used by others.

Good idea, thanks. We also have a bit of cream cheese down cellar. Bought it for DD to make a cheese cake; she never got around to doing so

I already have plans for these: lone can of crab will be a swiss-crab impossible pie/crustless quiche for a Lenten dinner, the clams are going into homemade clam chowder

Keep the ideas flowing, please!
That is what I would do with a lot of those. You can mix together a lot of things and make it taste good in a soup or stew.

February 18th, 2012, 3:59 am #9

Sheila
I like oatmeal & cream of wheat, so don't have to think of ways to get rid of them.

But I have been trying to think of ways to get rid of macaroni without buying cheese.

Today I used up the last of the potatoes, the last of some Colby Jack cheese, and the last elk roast.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

February 18th, 2012, 1:16 pm #10

Pasta primavera? I fry up a little sausage, add olive oil, lots of garlic and what ever veggies I have on hand, cook till done then toss in the pasta (cooked). It's really simple and good. I serve it with parmesan cheese... Actually I have not made that in a while...