Tues, 4/17

Tues, 4/17

April 17th, 2012, 9:32 am #1

Good morning! I am up much earlier than desired, thanks to neighbor's dog who has been barking all night, while they are away on vacation. Grrr . . .a frequent issue but more annoying as we slept with windows open, it's that warm here. Vent over!

Got a batch of laundry on the line drying, meat is defrosted for tonight's supper of Shake n bake boneless pork chops, choice of l/o buttered rice/mashed potatoes/au gratin potatoes-time to eat them up and get those leftovers out of the fridge. Tossed salad and a veggie to be determined.

I made a container up last night after dinner for today's lunch at work: hard boiled eggs cut up over a veggie infused tossed salad, homemade Dorothy Lynch dressing. I make tea at work.

Afternoon medical appointments will keep me busy after work, luckily supper will be a fast process.I plan on prepping the pork chops, refrigerating the baking tray and having a kidlet put the chops in the oven while I commute back home. This will enable supper to be on the table in time.

Bfst is about to be made: homemade bread toasted with choice of homemade jams, coffee/cocoa (really pushing those remaining packets).

Got my hand ring splints yesterday (for those who follow my blog). The left one had to be returned for another adjustment. I am not sure if the right one isn't too big. I do find it to be very comfortable so a trial run at work today should cinch the decision for me (I hope).

Make it a good day! (as I tell my students) : )
Carol

April 17th, 2012, 12:21 pm #2

Today is my "light" daycare day with just 2 little ones. My goal is to get some mopping done and the bathroom cleaned. I need to go to the store. We are out of some essentials like bread,laundry detergent, fresh fruit.

Baseball season is also in full swing. I found out yesterday that DS will have games 3 nights a week so between both kids we will be at the field 5 nights a week. I need to come up with a list of easy/ crock pot meals to avoid buying burgers at the concession. DH will be coming to the field right from work so I will have to transport food for him.

Have a great day everyone.

April 17th, 2012, 1:30 pm #3

Good morning! I am up much earlier than desired, thanks to neighbor's dog who has been barking all night, while they are away on vacation. Grrr . . .a frequent issue but more annoying as we slept with windows open, it's that warm here. Vent over!

Got a batch of laundry on the line drying, meat is defrosted for tonight's supper of Shake n bake boneless pork chops, choice of l/o buttered rice/mashed potatoes/au gratin potatoes-time to eat them up and get those leftovers out of the fridge. Tossed salad and a veggie to be determined.

I made a container up last night after dinner for today's lunch at work: hard boiled eggs cut up over a veggie infused tossed salad, homemade Dorothy Lynch dressing. I make tea at work.

Afternoon medical appointments will keep me busy after work, luckily supper will be a fast process.I plan on prepping the pork chops, refrigerating the baking tray and having a kidlet put the chops in the oven while I commute back home. This will enable supper to be on the table in time.

Bfst is about to be made: homemade bread toasted with choice of homemade jams, coffee/cocoa (really pushing those remaining packets).

Got my hand ring splints yesterday (for those who follow my blog). The left one had to be returned for another adjustment. I am not sure if the right one isn't too big. I do find it to be very comfortable so a trial run at work today should cinch the decision for me (I hope).

Carol
Taxes got done, copied and in the mail! My brain was fried afterward, but they got done!! DH offered to take me out to dinner, but I decided to go ahead and cook the fried oysters. Just didn't wanna spend the ca$h!

I slept well again last night, which makes a huge difference in my day. This morning I'm going swimming, then to a meeting about the spelling bee, then a quick trip to the grocery store (I made a list). I need to take all my tax papers from piles to filed. And lots of laundry awaits me! It rained all day yesterday, but if it's clear today, I will probably hang some of the wash. No idea yet what's for dinner--we are truly getting to the bottom of the freezer. I actually wanted to roast a chicken last night, but didn't have one. That must be a first!

Just let the dogs out and noticed how well the plants I divided last week are doing. They are in pots (recycled potting soil). The rain yesterday helped. I was given 3 pine seedlings for Earth Day when I made copies at Fedex and have to think about where to plant them (here). DH said to put 'em in a pot and let them grow for another year and they will do better. I have 7 "teenage" pines that I planted from seedlings 14 years ago to start a windbreak.

Thanks, Carol, for starting this thread. I also like the idea of "making" it a good day! I'm going to do that!

April 17th, 2012, 1:45 pm #4

Carol
The roofers are back and stinking up my office with their tar. Yesterday I didn't smell a thing, they must have been doing the tear-off or something with no tar involved. Today, I already feel sick and have a headache. I'm going to wrap up what I have to get done and get out of here early.

Not that it's going to do me any good if I can't stay here, but I brought my breakfast and lunch today so I wouldn't need to go out and buy anything.

Yesterday I cut out 2 pair of pajama pants. A friend is paying me to make her a pair so I started with that one, then I had enough time to cut out the pair I'm making for myself. I hope to get hers sewed up tonight. Once I finish these 2 I need to get back to making gifts, I'm making afghans for the grandkids' birthdays but I'm so far behind they may be Christmas presents instead.

Supper tonight is sweet and sour cabbage and apples with kielbasa, with peas as a side dish. I also have some frozen garlic breadsticks that would go good with that, I think I'll make those as well.

April 17th, 2012, 3:37 pm #5

Carol
My 11 year old son needs some shorts for school. My dh went on a field trip w/ him to DC the week before Easter and dh said kids were making fun of him that his shorts were too short. mind you they are only a few inches above his knee. The problem is he weighs under 70 pounds but is tall so he needs slims and you can't find many of those in shorts. Hoping to find something at Old Navy or Children's Place today.
I'll probably have lunch w/ dh and go up into his work to see their newly remodeled offices. he's been asking me to come in for weeks. I hate going in there, being stared at by all the lady employees. Feel like I have to look my best and i'd rather just go with messy hair and no make up!
I have a pound of ground beef thawing. I think I'll make stuffed pepper soup tonight. Kids hate it so something else for them. Might pick up a box of chicken patties and make chicken patty sandwiches for them.
Jaime

April 17th, 2012, 3:46 pm #6

Can you cut the pants and make shorts out of them or are you saving the pants for another, younger sibling? I've often done this, it can save some serious cash!

April 17th, 2012, 4:39 pm #7

My 11 year old son needs some shorts for school. My dh went on a field trip w/ him to DC the week before Easter and dh said kids were making fun of him that his shorts were too short. mind you they are only a few inches above his knee. The problem is he weighs under 70 pounds but is tall so he needs slims and you can't find many of those in shorts. Hoping to find something at Old Navy or Children's Place today.
I'll probably have lunch w/ dh and go up into his work to see their newly remodeled offices. he's been asking me to come in for weeks. I hate going in there, being stared at by all the lady employees. Feel like I have to look my best and i'd rather just go with messy hair and no make up!
I have a pound of ground beef thawing. I think I'll make stuffed pepper soup tonight. Kids hate it so something else for them. Might pick up a box of chicken patties and make chicken patty sandwiches for them.
Jaime
If you end up with pants that aren't slim, it is pretty easy to skinny up the legs. Have your DS put on the pants inside out and pin up the inseam, with the pins going the long way. Start a bit down from the crotch and taper out so you don't get mixed up with any flat felled seams. Stitch down the pin line to take them in and trim off the excess fabric. (Try them on first before you trim any fabric). I wouldn't buy new pants to do this, but I would with hand-me-downs or thrift store finds. I did this with a pair of capris I bought for our trip to Costa Rica. I also cut off thrift store jeans and made shorts out of them, as Carol suggests--January isn't the time to shop for shorts in northern Idaho! (Or even southern Idaho, LOL).
Last edited by MaxineS on April 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2012, 5:40 pm #8

Jaime
And then this morning my son asked me several times if I thought the shorts he had on were too short. They were also just a couple of inches above his knees. I told him that they looked fine (they did) and if they were comfortable then wear them, but if he wanted longer ones to get a different pair out of the drawer since he has plenty in there. He left them on. Kids can be cruel about the dumbest stuff. I'll have to pay attention when school gets out today and compare.

April 17th, 2012, 7:06 pm #9

Can you cut the pants and make shorts out of them or are you saving the pants for another, younger sibling? I've often done this, it can save some serious cash!
I do save his pants for his younger brother too but I wouldn't be against cutting them off but I'm not the sewer. We do have a sewing machine, dh bought and he's the only one that has used it. I get stumped at just trying to thread the needle! It seems like thread is going 3 different directions and I just don't get it!
I found 5 pairs of shorts between Old Navy and Children's Place so he should be set.
Jaime

April 17th, 2012, 9:57 pm #10

I wouldn't expect you to do a lot of sewing, or to make clothes--unless you discovered that you liked it--but being able to mend, do basic alterations and sew straight enough to make curtains, pillows and hems, would be good skills to learn. Most fabric stores either offer lessons or know where you can take them. Also, you might find a community education class through the parks/recreation department, high school or junior college. You've got the sewing machine--you can learn to use it! A friend or relative that sews could also show you basic techniques.
Last edited by MaxineS on April 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.