The master list

The master list

November 4th, 2011, 8:18 pm #1

DH and I have not done a good job of maintaining this home in the 14 years we have lived here. It really didn't need much maintenance for the first 7-8 years we lived here, because it was new when we moved in. We replaced the carpet at about 10 years, the water heater a few years ago and the sump pump just last month. But other things need repairing and it is still on the original paint (both inside and out). It just needs some TLC in many, many areas. More time than money, actually. (But some money).

I don't know if this will work, but I made a master list of things that need to be done. So far, it is 47 items long and still growing as we think of or see other things that need doing. Some of the items are simple, such as replacing lightbulbs in somewhat inaccessible places, and some are harder...such as removing the wallpaper in the bedroom. Some only require a phone call, such as scheduling the carpet cleaning.

DH just checked off his first item--finding all the pieces and putting the paint sprayer away. I'm simultaneously working on two--cleaning the "garden area" of the garage and finding and putting up the holographic tape to scare the chukars that sleep on our roof. So far, I've found the tape...but still working on the rest of the mess. I broke each item into separate jobs so I wouldn't get overwhelmed by entries such as, "Clean the garage." Heck, I'd have to find it first!!

Wish us luck. We are at the point where we don't enjoy our home (which is actually quite pretty and in a lovely location) because so much needs doing. And, because we're retired, we don't escape it for 8-9 hours a day.

This isn't a challenge, but if anyone else needs to do something like this, we could either check in on the board from time to time, or by e-mail. I'm at frugalistas at gmail dot com.

November 4th, 2011, 9:14 pm #2

chukar? Yum. lol

I like your idea. We have so much to do on our house and it's not just regular maintenance. I cleaned out the garage this past week and found so many things I thought had been done. Dh is either too tired to do things or he is gone for the weekend.

A lot of things, I think I could do but he can do it easier and probably better.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 4th, 2011, 11:08 pm #3

But they poop a lot! I put the scare tape up this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed.

November 5th, 2011, 1:00 am #4

We put a plastic owl in the garden and it didn't work at all. If a hologram works, I'll try that next year.

------

November 5th, 2011, 2:05 am #5

How does it work, or does it work? How: the hologram picks up the light and changes colors and also makes a noise as it twirls in the wind. Jury is still out on IF it works. My friend Betsy used it in her mother's carport, and it did keep the birds out.

I was hot to get a plastic owl until I saw that they were $20 AND ospreys had built nests right next to the plastic owls that the power company put at the top of electric poles.

November 5th, 2011, 2:16 am #6

How big is it and where did you get it? Wonder if it works on crows?

Edited to add: My plastic owl was only $7. The one with the moving head was $20. Maybe the bobbly head makes the difference because the one piece guy isn't' very effective.

------
Last edited by TxNet on November 5th, 2011, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 5th, 2011, 3:05 am #7

It is called Holographic Scare Tape and made by Dalen Products, Inc., 700 Dalen Lane, Knoxville, TN 37932 orhttp://dalenproducts.com/products/scare ... care-tape/ I think I ordered it from Lee Valley Tools for $7 or $8 for a 100-foot roll. But if you click on where to buy, you'll see that Ace and other hardware chains have it (or can get).

I cut streamers about a foot long and tacked them in bunches on each side of the porch roof. I'm prepared to add more, if necessary. I believe Betsy used longer pieces and tacked them every foot or so all around her mother's carport. Her mother had a HUGE bird problem, and it solved it.
Last edited by MaxineS on November 5th, 2011, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 5th, 2011, 3:08 am #8

------

November 5th, 2011, 3:09 am #9

nt

November 5th, 2011, 4:51 am #10

------