Thanks for the Welcome and My Intro

Thanks for the Welcome and My Intro

May 7th, 2012, 2:41 pm #1

Hello again! Maxine, thanks for allowing lurkers to post - that gave me the courage to post a message. I am 56 and have lived most of my life in northern New Jersey. I have one child, a son, who is currently in grad school studying for his MBA. He is getting married next year. My Dh has his own business and I work there on a part-time basis. I love traveling, the beach, reading and reality tv. Like a lot of other people these days we have felt the effects of this "Great Recession". I have always attempted to live a frugal lifestyle so finding areas to cut back have been difficult. Between real estate taxes (which are exorbitant in NJ), car insurance, state and fed income taxes, and the increasing price of just about everything, we are finding our resources stretched very tightly. That's why I love your message board. Your cheerful and determined approach to living well but frugally are inspiring. I hope I can contribute!!!

May 7th, 2012, 2:55 pm #2

I would say the "free weekend" (think HBO, LOL) more than served its purpose. We will do it again from time to time.

I don't know how cheerful we are, but we ARE determined! Welcome back, girl friend!

May 7th, 2012, 3:12 pm #3

Hello again! Maxine, thanks for allowing lurkers to post - that gave me the courage to post a message. I am 56 and have lived most of my life in northern New Jersey. I have one child, a son, who is currently in grad school studying for his MBA. He is getting married next year. My Dh has his own business and I work there on a part-time basis. I love traveling, the beach, reading and reality tv. Like a lot of other people these days we have felt the effects of this "Great Recession". I have always attempted to live a frugal lifestyle so finding areas to cut back have been difficult. Between real estate taxes (which are exorbitant in NJ), car insurance, state and fed income taxes, and the increasing price of just about everything, we are finding our resources stretched very tightly. That's why I love your message board. Your cheerful and determined approach to living well but frugally are inspiring. I hope I can contribute!!!
Sounds like you will have a lot to add. Owning your own business is challenging, and a son in grad school - way to go!

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 7th, 2012, 6:04 pm #4

I also love reality tv!! What's your favorite reality show?
I watch a ton of them, Survivor, Amazing Race (although I'm behind), Real Housewives and the Celebrity Apprentice among others!
Jaime

May 7th, 2012, 6:32 pm #5

I like The Amazing Race, Big Brother and the Housewives of New Jersey (one lives in my town!). I also like Celebrity Apprentice but I haven't been watching it this season.

May 7th, 2012, 7:15 pm #6

I thought you, KimNJ and Sandy in NJ were the "real" housewives of New Jersey!

If they did a Frugalista Files reality show, they could show LisaCNC going from place to place, trying to get a cheap oil change; Penny in FL eating the leftovers from church dinners for lunch the next day; Carol would be cooking (of course!); Sandy would be buying from thrift stores and re-selling on eBay; Bethann would be loaning out her 150 dessert plates for weddings and receptions and hoping they came back washed; Patsy would be re-landscaping her whole front garden on a zero budget; CC and Sheila would be decluttering; PJ would be playing with the baby chicks in her homemade Datsun brooder...well, you get the idea. Do you think anyone would watch??? (Personally, I think it might be kinda fun).

May 7th, 2012, 7:17 pm #7

I'd watch it!!!

May 7th, 2012, 7:20 pm #8

If they did a Frugalista Files reality show, they could show LisaCNC going from place to place, trying to get a cheap oil change; Penny in FL eating the leftovers from church dinners for lunch the next day; Carol would be cooking (of course!); Sandy would be buying from thrift stores and re-selling on eBay; Bethann would be loaning out her 150 dessert plates for weddings and receptions and hoping they came back washed; Patsy would be re-landscaping her whole front garden on a zero budget; CC and Sheila would be decluttering; PJ would be playing with the baby chicks in her homemade Datsun brooder...well, you get the idea. Do you think anyone would watch??? (Personally, I think it might be kinda fun).
Building and furnishing her cabin on a shoestring.

From what I've seen of NJ so far, I'm definitely not the norm. I would definitely watch that show!

May 7th, 2012, 7:28 pm #9

We didn't exactly build ours on a shoestring (DH wouldn't rough it, plus we're in a town) but for anybody with land wanting to build a cabin on the cheap, have I got ideas! Pam in TX, are you still with us??

I did furnish and completely equip it for under $2,000, though. Any of us could have done it. I just had the place to DO it!

May 7th, 2012, 7:54 pm #10

I would just LOVE to watch that type of TV show. But it wouldn't get too many viewers from my neck of the woods - my neighbors still make comments about my laundry hanging outside!