Planning a trip to Disney--give me all the frugal details, ladies!

Planning a trip to Disney--give me all the frugal details, ladies!

June 14th, 2011, 11:01 am #1

I know some of you have done Disney on a dime (or two anyway). It's been a lot of years since we took the kids, and we didn't have to pay for that trip. My dad took us. Now we've got grandkids those same ages and we want to take them. I'm thinking about a year-and-a-half out, maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas? I know I don't want to go during a school break, and I don't want to go in the summer.

I mentioned this to our 4-yr-old grandson. He got VERY excited. I didn't know that he would really know what it is, but he watches enough TV. He gets it. On Friday I took him to the grocery store with me. He asked for candy, but I said no. Usually this would have caused him to melt into a complete breakdown with tears and all, but instead he perked up and said, "We have to save money to go see Mickey Mouse, don't we, Nina?!" So, yeah...we're going now for sure!

Then, last night I happened to casually mention it again in the kitchen and Grace, who is 16 now, came UNGLUED. I thought she was just being silly, and then I realized that she was dead serious in her unglued-ness. I said, "You're serious...." She said, "Are you KIDDING ME? I LOVE Disney!" And she continued to dance around the kitchen like she had snakes up her pants. Wow.

Okay, so yeah, we are going! She was only 2 when we went before, so this will be a lot of fun for her to be able to actually ride the rides this time.

I have a huge Ball jar that we've been using to save change for a big screen tv. We bought a decent sized one a Christmas or two ago--32" I think? Maybe it's 35? Somewhere in there. Anyway, I'm going to take the change to the bank and put it toward debt and then start our savings with the big Ball jar in a prominent place. I'm going to ask the moms and dads to pitch in as they can, and we'll save for the next 18 months and then take a really nice trip. I'm looking for all the corners I can possibly cut. Those of you who've done this before--help!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

June 14th, 2011, 12:25 pm #2

Go through every closet, cabinet and cupboard looking for things you don't need that can be added to the garage sale. It's amazing how much stuff we have that we don't need. Advertise the heck out of your sale in every possible way you can think of. If you're not having it this summer, have it first thing in the spring when there isn't a lot of competition.

I don't have a lot of frugal tips for Disney, because we never went without a hefty discount. Personally, if I scrimped and saved for a year and a half, I probably couldn't make myself part with the money to go to Disney! I would be way to attached to seeing it in my savings account at that point.

June 14th, 2011, 12:27 pm #3

I know some of you have done Disney on a dime (or two anyway). It's been a lot of years since we took the kids, and we didn't have to pay for that trip. My dad took us. Now we've got grandkids those same ages and we want to take them. I'm thinking about a year-and-a-half out, maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas? I know I don't want to go during a school break, and I don't want to go in the summer.

I mentioned this to our 4-yr-old grandson. He got VERY excited. I didn't know that he would really know what it is, but he watches enough TV. He gets it. On Friday I took him to the grocery store with me. He asked for candy, but I said no. Usually this would have caused him to melt into a complete breakdown with tears and all, but instead he perked up and said, "We have to save money to go see Mickey Mouse, don't we, Nina?!" So, yeah...we're going now for sure!

Then, last night I happened to casually mention it again in the kitchen and Grace, who is 16 now, came UNGLUED. I thought she was just being silly, and then I realized that she was dead serious in her unglued-ness. I said, "You're serious...." She said, "Are you KIDDING ME? I LOVE Disney!" And she continued to dance around the kitchen like she had snakes up her pants. Wow.

Okay, so yeah, we are going! She was only 2 when we went before, so this will be a lot of fun for her to be able to actually ride the rides this time.

I have a huge Ball jar that we've been using to save change for a big screen tv. We bought a decent sized one a Christmas or two ago--32" I think? Maybe it's 35? Somewhere in there. Anyway, I'm going to take the change to the bank and put it toward debt and then start our savings with the big Ball jar in a prominent place. I'm going to ask the moms and dads to pitch in as they can, and we'll save for the next 18 months and then take a really nice trip. I'm looking for all the corners I can possibly cut. Those of you who've done this before--help!

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
I LOVE Disney! Just went in May for a quick solo trip.

I need some info first: how many people? Driving or flying? How long do you want to go? Just Disney parks or others, too (Sea World, Legoland, Universal, Busch Gardens)?

First tip: sign up for MyPoints if you do not already do it. Click on all the emails to get the Points. When you get enough, use them to get gift cards for places you normally go to (gas cards, Walmart, Target, Visa debit card,etc; see which requires the fewest points for the most value on the card). Use those cards and take the money you would normally spend and put it in your Disney fund. Or, if you're driving, jsut get gas cards and save them for the trip. Taht's what I usually do for trips where I drive. GEt the other adults who are going with you to do the same. With 18 months to go, you can probably get a couple hudred bucks easily.
LisaCNC

June 14th, 2011, 12:30 pm #4

Blessings,

Bethann

It's been about 10 years, but we got a room at a Wyndham for $25 on Priceline.com. It was actually a small suite--sleeping room, bath and bunk room. All of the Comfort Inns in the area had banners advertising $35 rooms. When you are ready to go, try Priceline and/or call the properties directly (vs. using their reservations number) and play Let's Make a Deal. Orlando is built for the peak season, and there are lots of vacant rooms off-peak. We stayed between Disney and Universal, which was perfect for us.

June 14th, 2011, 12:42 pm #5

Blessings,

Bethann

It sounds like you will have a bunch of people. We rented a 5 bedroom house, with our own pool for $700/week. Try vrbo.com. We were very happy with the house we stayed at.

June 14th, 2011, 12:57 pm #6

Go through every closet, cabinet and cupboard looking for things you don't need that can be added to the garage sale. It's amazing how much stuff we have that we don't need. Advertise the heck out of your sale in every possible way you can think of. If you're not having it this summer, have it first thing in the spring when there isn't a lot of competition.

I don't have a lot of frugal tips for Disney, because we never went without a hefty discount. Personally, if I scrimped and saved for a year and a half, I probably couldn't make myself part with the money to go to Disney! I would be way to attached to seeing it in my savings account at that point.
Find someone to go in with you on it, or organize individual sales in a prominent location at a parking lot. (Something like Polly's car boot sales!!). We've found that the bigger the event, the bigger the profits. Sometimes, also the less the work...especially if you have it at a residence with several people participating and helping.

I am getting ready for my 4th (and final) AAUW sale. We have raised $1,000 - $1,200 each time. When we lived in Lewiston, I was with a smaller (but more driven to succeed) group and we did just over $2,000 in each of 3 years. All have been 6 hour sales on a Saturday. They have all been a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and I don't think you can beat a sale for raising fast money.

June 14th, 2011, 5:13 pm #7

It sounds like you will have a bunch of people. We rented a 5 bedroom house, with our own pool for $700/week. Try vrbo.com. We were very happy with the house we stayed at.
I went to Orlando with a group 18 months ago and we rented an eight bedroom, five bath, pool in the backyard house two miles from Disney for $1700 for the week. This housed seven adults and six small children without issue -- we could have taken on one more family quite comfortably. We saved tons of money just on food, plus we had a place nearby for downtime.

The very best times to go are the week after Thanksgiving (plan on getting out of FL no later than the end of the first week of December, or you'll start hitting the Xmas crowds) or during the 2nd, 3rd & 4th weeks of January. The crowds are lower and the heat not so unbearable.

Also, stop thinking about doing "Disney on a Dime". You really can't do it, so don't set yourself up for failure by trying. You can cut a corner here or there, but you really can't do it cheaply. The tickets and parking fees are what they are....expensive. You'll have a great time though!

June 14th, 2011, 5:35 pm #8

You can cut corners, by renting a house, driving down, eating at the house... but unless you have family who are working in the park, you are going to pay $$$ to get in for a day.

Realize you can't do it all in one day,or at one park, we went knowing we'd be taking in only as much as the day would hold, and that that'd be enough. We managed to bring back lots of memories, for roughly $100/person, plus meals in the park, and parking.

Take water bottles, you can fill them free
Do your homework, know what the kids will want to see and do, and plan ahead for that. - of course, even that can get thrown off course, we thought grands would want to ride, they wanted autographs of every character we saw.
Buy autograph books at home, before you go.
Buy trading pins online - they are $$$ in the park, and kids can trade with any employee in the park, straight across vs. buying them at the kiosk.

glendaMO

June 14th, 2011, 5:41 pm #9

I went to Orlando with a group 18 months ago and we rented an eight bedroom, five bath, pool in the backyard house two miles from Disney for $1700 for the week. This housed seven adults and six small children without issue -- we could have taken on one more family quite comfortably. We saved tons of money just on food, plus we had a place nearby for downtime.

The very best times to go are the week after Thanksgiving (plan on getting out of FL no later than the end of the first week of December, or you'll start hitting the Xmas crowds) or during the 2nd, 3rd & 4th weeks of January. The crowds are lower and the heat not so unbearable.

Also, stop thinking about doing "Disney on a Dime". You really can't do it, so don't set yourself up for failure by trying. You can cut a corner here or there, but you really can't do it cheaply. The tickets and parking fees are what they are....expensive. You'll have a great time though!
We've gone a couple of times in November (not Thanksgiving week) and the last four years in January. Don't go during the January marathon and a couple of days near Martin Luther King Jr. day can be iffy, but for the most part we've found January to be ideal EXCEPT it's often too cold for the pool. Since you've got a pool at home I don't know if you'd care. It's not crowded then so we were willing to forego the pool usually, although dh and ds braved it a few times on the warmer days. And one January there was a freak run of hot weather and we used it then.

June 14th, 2011, 5:57 pm #10

Blessings,

Bethann

You get the free breakfast and DINNER! ( Dinner comes with wine and beer too! For
those of you who drink! lol ) We stayed there a few years ago and
it was great. Big rooms with a bedroom with two beds and the living room has
a pull out couch. You take the shuttle to disney. This is nice because you
don't have to drive again once you get there. This really saved us some money
because we just had to pay for lunch. If you eat enough breakfast you don't need
lunch! lol

I just read an article about tickets that said the City Pass was a great deal.

Jodi