My DS's girlfriend's house

My DS's girlfriend's house

March 26th, 2012, 8:02 am #1

I've mentioned before that my DS is dating a frugalista. They have known each other for 3 years and skied together last winter (and this one, too), but they've only been an item since last summer. She's a nice girl and I wouldn't mind it if it worked out for them...not that I get a vote!

Anyway, she is 29 and owns her own home. (She has a dog, too!). It's a 2 bedroom starter house that's 55-60 years old, and it needs some work. Today, it needed a new toilet, which is how I visited today for the first time. She bought it, DS installed it and he called DH to help. (As it turned out, all he needed was encouragement, and someone to help make sure he didn't goober up the wax ring).

She is not the Suzy Homemaker/Dottie Decorator type, so I'm not going to give you the grand tour because it's just an ordinary starter house. But, I'm going to give you a good idea. (An especially good idea for someone just starting out). She has two big windows in her living room. She has 4 sheer panels for each window. (I'm assuming someone gave them to her or she bought them at a yard sale, thrift store or off craigslist...like everything else she owns). You know how narrow panels just...hang...there. Now, this is what gives them pizazz--she pulled the two center panels to each side and tied them back over the side panels. She has metal holdbacks and the effect is very soft and pretty. However, you could use regular fabric tiebacks. You also wouldn't have to use sheers, and you could use two sets of mismatched curtains if you wanted to, or because that's what you had. Being a frugalista, Sara has a white roller blind on one window and plastic miniblinds on the other! They look fine.

Her 2 bedroom house is less than 800 sf but with a full basement. A previous owner made rooms downstairs and partially finished some of them. (Some have ceilings, some have drywall, one has carpet...but none has "all of the above.") Her utility room is about the size of a bedroom and has a washer and dryer (craigslist, of course) and stationary tub, and her ironing board is left up down there. But here is the best part: She strung clotheslines on the other side of the room. Says she hardly ever uses her dryer! And I'll bet you frugalistas have already figured out why!
Last edited by MaxineS on March 26th, 2012, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 26th, 2012, 11:53 am #2

She sounds like a smart girl.

March 26th, 2012, 1:46 pm #3

I've mentioned before that my DS is dating a frugalista. They have known each other for 3 years and skied together last winter (and this one, too), but they've only been an item since last summer. She's a nice girl and I wouldn't mind it if it worked out for them...not that I get a vote!

Anyway, she is 29 and owns her own home. (She has a dog, too!). It's a 2 bedroom starter house that's 55-60 years old, and it needs some work. Today, it needed a new toilet, which is how I visited today for the first time. She bought it, DS installed it and he called DH to help. (As it turned out, all he needed was encouragement, and someone to help make sure he didn't goober up the wax ring).

She is not the Suzy Homemaker/Dottie Decorator type, so I'm not going to give you the grand tour because it's just an ordinary starter house. But, I'm going to give you a good idea. (An especially good idea for someone just starting out). She has two big windows in her living room. She has 4 sheer panels for each window. (I'm assuming someone gave them to her or she bought them at a yard sale, thrift store or off craigslist...like everything else she owns). You know how narrow panels just...hang...there. Now, this is what gives them pizazz--she pulled the two center panels to each side and tied them back over the side panels. She has metal holdbacks and the effect is very soft and pretty. However, you could use regular fabric tiebacks. You also wouldn't have to use sheers, and you could use two sets of mismatched curtains if you wanted to, or because that's what you had. Being a frugalista, Sara has a white roller blind on one window and plastic miniblinds on the other! They look fine.

Her 2 bedroom house is less than 800 sf but with a full basement. A previous owner made rooms downstairs and partially finished some of them. (Some have ceilings, some have drywall, one has carpet...but none has "all of the above.") Her utility room is about the size of a bedroom and has a washer and dryer (craigslist, of course) and stationary tub, and her ironing board is left up down there. But here is the best part: She strung clotheslines on the other side of the room. Says she hardly ever uses her dryer! And I'll bet you frugalistas have already figured out why!
Does he realize what a rare find she is! lol

March 26th, 2012, 1:55 pm #4

nt

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

March 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm #5

Does he realize what a rare find she is! lol
She is one wise frugalista. She would make a great addition to your family if things continue to work out for her and your son. Thanks for sharing and knowing there are some of the younger generation that are frugal.

2catsmom

March 26th, 2012, 3:54 pm #6

My dad ran clothesline throughout the basement so mom coult dry in the winter without all those racks throughout the house (they didn't get a dryer till she was 70 when dad didn't like her carrying big loads of wet clothes up the stairs. actually - he didn't like HIM carrying them up to help her when she asked!)

Dad's justification was "well we run the de-humidifier anyway, may as well make it worth it!" it also gave him an excuse to runn a heater in the basement; which he never beleived me would lower the heating cost for upstairs!

March 26th, 2012, 9:06 pm #7

with a clothes line in the basement - so much so, that I had to read this twice to see that it was a frugal move on Dad's part to have it there, lol! It just "WAS", and is. I know Mom uses the dryer more now than when we were all at home. I was convinced that if I dried my jeans, or tops, they'd shrink and I'd have to give them to my younger sister - so I'm not sure what went into the dryer besides towels, to soften them.

My dream now, is for the garage to be empty enough that I could hang clothes in the garage in the winter.
glendaMO

March 27th, 2012, 12:16 am #8

My fil has always done the laundry, and he has lines strung in the basement also. They've lived in that house for over 45 years and never had a dryer.

March 29th, 2012, 4:08 pm #9

She sounds like a keeper! nt