Identifying old vs new clear Pyrex?

Identifying old vs new clear Pyrex?

May 2nd, 2012, 1:42 pm #1

The Pyrex name and formula was sold to another company in 1998. They have since changed the formula, and those are all the ones that have been exploding in people's ovens, kitchens, etc. I have a few pieces that I know are the new stuff, so I will no longer use them in the oven or microwave, just the fridge. However, I have a few that I don't recall when I bought them. Does anyone know if there are any identifying marks on Pyrex to know when they were made or who made them???

I also want to know in case I see some at a yard sale or flea market. I know the colored stuff (milk colored w/ colored exteriors) is all pre-1998.

May 2nd, 2012, 2:05 pm #2

and came up with this in a google search.

According to Wikipedia, Corning's responsibility extends to this formality:

When trademarked as PYREX® (all UPPER CASE LETTERS plus, in the USA, a trademark notice comprising a capital R in a circle) the trademark includes clear, low-thermal-expansion borosilicate glass used for laboratory glassware and kitchenware, plus other kitchenware including opaque tempered high-thermal-expansion soda-lime glass, pyroceram, stoneware, and metal items See. e.g.,http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?index=kitchen ... ords=pyrex. European trademark usage differs from American and the encircled "R" is not present on European PYREX items.

When trademarked as pyrex® (all lower case letters plus a trademark notice comprising a capital R in a circle) the trademark includes clear tempered high-thermal-expansion soda-lime glass kitchenware, plus other non-glass kitchenware, made by World Kitchen. See, e.g.,http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitch ... tbin=Pyrex

I actually did not know anything about this so now I know what to look for (I think).

May 2nd, 2012, 2:27 pm #3

The Pyrex name and formula was sold to another company in 1998. They have since changed the formula, and those are all the ones that have been exploding in people's ovens, kitchens, etc. I have a few pieces that I know are the new stuff, so I will no longer use them in the oven or microwave, just the fridge. However, I have a few that I don't recall when I bought them. Does anyone know if there are any identifying marks on Pyrex to know when they were made or who made them???

I also want to know in case I see some at a yard sale or flea market. I know the colored stuff (milk colored w/ colored exteriors) is all pre-1998.
That's because I'm old, LOL. Also, the "new" stuff I have bought has come from thrift stores, where it is fairly easy to find. Thanks, Bev, for the tutorial. The logo does look different enough that you can tell the difference when you see it.

May 2nd, 2012, 5:01 pm #4

When trademarked as PYREX® (all UPPER CASE LETTERS plus, in the USA, a trademark notice comprising a capital R in a circle) the trademark includes clear, low-thermal-expansion borosilicate glass used for laboratory glassware and kitchenware, plus other kitchenware including opaque tempered high-thermal-expansion soda-lime glass, pyroceram, stoneware, and metal items See. e.g.,http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?index=kitchen ... ords=pyrex. European trademark usage differs from American and the encircled "R" is not present on European PYREX items.

When trademarked as pyrex® (all lower case letters plus a trademark notice comprising a capital R in a circle) the trademark includes clear tempered high-thermal-expansion soda-lime glass kitchenware, plus other non-glass kitchenware, made by World Kitchen. See, e.g.,http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitch ... tbin=Pyrex

I actually did not know anything about this so now I know what to look for (I think).
So we're looking for/want to use the Pyrex that's labelled in all capital letters?? Now to go through my cupboards...

ETA: I'd forgotten that I mostly have Anchor Hocking brand. I do have old Pyrex measuring cups and also an old Pyrex casserole dish of my grandmother's. Otherwise, it's all Anchor.
Last edited by Miranda_MO on May 2nd, 2012, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2012, 6:25 pm #5

If any of you are interested, Google "exploding Pyrex". The new company can say all it wants, but the old stuff mostly just cracked. This new stuff goes off like a bomb, so I won't be using mine in the oven anymore!

May 2nd, 2012, 11:23 pm #6

glad to learn that. not that I have bought any pyrex in.. oh... fifteen years or so. so I guess all mine is old. but I wondered about the one exploding thing happening so now, no worries! must say though years and years ago, oh my maybe like 25? I did have one fall into pieces on me.

Myra in West Texas

May 2nd, 2012, 11:34 pm #7

and it DID go off like a bomb. It scared the crap out of me and I haven't baked anything in a glass dish since come to think of it...

May 3rd, 2012, 12:14 am #8

Does anyone know if Anchor Hocking is made of the same material as Pyrex? If it's borosilicate (old Pyrex) this might be an option for anyone wanting to replace new Pyrex...assuming you can't find the old stuff for cheap at thrift stores. About half of my "Pyrex" is actually Anchor Hocking...some of it was Mom's and is labeled Fire King. (BTW, if you have old Fire King mugs, it's worth something on eBay).

May 3rd, 2012, 1:26 am #9

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 3rd, 2012, 12:41 pm #10

Does anyone know if Anchor Hocking is made of the same material as Pyrex? If it's borosilicate (old Pyrex) this might be an option for anyone wanting to replace new Pyrex...assuming you can't find the old stuff for cheap at thrift stores. About half of my "Pyrex" is actually Anchor Hocking...some of it was Mom's and is labeled Fire King. (BTW, if you have old Fire King mugs, it's worth something on eBay).
From Anchor Hocking website it appears that their bakeware has been made of tempered soda-lime-silicate glass for the last 30 years, and they have also had shattering.

That said, I just noticed that the glass measuring cup I use to make tea every morning is Anchor Hocking. It does get warm in the micro.

------
The road to success is always under construction.